Rugergirl touched on a topic I was considering...

This is a discussion on Rugergirl touched on a topic I was considering... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Grady's "Sunday Afternoon" thread. I don't want to quote her entire post, but here is the part in where my question lies: "I've always ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugergirl touched on a topic I was considering...

Rugergirl touched on a topic I was considering...

In Grady's "Sunday Afternoon" thread.

I don't want to quote her entire post, but here is the part in where my question lies:

"I've always been in code yellow, it almost seems like I was born that way. Even as a child I couldn't sit in a strange place with by back to the door. I'm a watcher, always."

So on to my question, do you guys/gals believe that some people are born/ingrained(some of your children may fit this bill) with a more heightened sense of awareness, or is that something that comes only with consciously being more aware?

I can't say I'm 100% condition yellow all of the time, but (knock on wood) I can spot trouble a mile away. I don't have any particular training on the matter of SA, but from my limited experience, I can smell trouble.

Out back at work, having a cigarette, I have a line of sight that is long enough in all directions to see someone coming a good 30 seconds away, unless they're running, in which case, I am too. My usual reaction is to just walk back inside(the door locks itself), I don't need any "Hey man! Can I get a smoke?" situations going south.

I ran into a gang of "thugs" weren't your typical teenage type...But basically it was 7 guys (race isn't an issue for me, everyone is capable of some messed up stuff) maybe a month or three ago. I should have rolled on to the next gas station, but my low fuel light was on, so I needed gas right then.

I walk back out after paying and one of these guys approaches me asking for a ride to a "bad" part of the town I live in. He gets the usual "Sorry brother, I'm headed a different direction". I was in my car at the time. He bumped my side panel a few times to get my attention. I barely cracked the window to hear what he had to say. After my response he goes into "Aw man that's cold!" I left at that point. Wish I had something in my glove box/console at the time, as that could have ended badly.

Now that I'm typing this, maybe I'm not in condition Yellow all of the time...I can see where I slipped up after reading through it myself. I knew I may have been in potential trouble, but didn't act quick enough to not put myself in that situation.

Anyways, your thoughts? Feel free to pick apart my gas station encounter, as I know there are folks here that are way more knowledgeable than myself on the subject.

2. Remove Ads

For whatever reason, learned or inherited, some people do it naturally.... I'm one of those. I cannot sit with a window behind me, or door that I can't keep an eye on, or someone standing behind me, etc...... and it has served me well.

I've had to work at developing mine. I know some people view bouncers as knuckle-dragging thugs who just beat people up for fun, but that job helped me through college, learned a lot about situational awareness and conflict resolution there. And two years in the Marines with a combat deployment upped my situational awareness even more, you just learn to get a feel for situations, and obviously don't let anything unsafe behind your six, or leave your back unguarded.

But it certainly is an acquired skill, and something that has to be developed in most cases I think. Right now I have the pleasure of training a bunch of young Marines that will be going on my battalion's next combat deployment with me, and some of them have SA, and some just don't yet. It's usually the ones that had rougher lives growing up that have it, and the ones that had softer lives who don't, but there are exceptions to that. Thankfully the skill can be cultured and developed though.

Personally I think that it's hard to stay in yellow 24/7/365, sometimes you have to go white to let your brain relax, you just have to know the time and place for that. Just my opinion though
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks to the both of you for your reply (and if any make it in before I'm done typing, thank you as well).

As a side note Buckeye, I've never met a bouncer I didn't like. They're there to keep people like me from getting an unnecessary beating. (5'10, 150..agile as all get out, but I can only choke out one person at a time...ju jitsu and a bit of muay thai background, by my own choice....I once thought being in the UFC would be a -great- job....I just don't feel getting punched for a living really sounds that awesome.)

Upon entering an establishment with a Bouncer, he's usually the first person I'm striking up a conversation with. I don't go anywhere nowadays where I don't know who is "watching everyones' back".

I'll still watch my own, but having a big diesel guy, who already knows you can be a boon. I've never had to have one intervene on my behest, but the fact that you have a huge dude on your side is always a plus. It won't embolden me to start some crap, but if someone were to cheapshot me, I'd like to know that I have a guy, most likely bigger than my assailant, that's gonna be right there to pull them off and toss them.

I had a friend who attended The Citadel in Charleston,SC. He befriended a Samoan who was absolutely HUGE. I never felt more comfortable than when I was with those two. American Samoa grows em BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I've had to work at developing mine...

But it certainly is an acquired skill, and something that has to be developed in most cases I think. Thankfully the skill can be cultured and developed though...

Personally I think that it's hard to stay in yellow 24/7/365, sometimes you have to go white to let your brain relax, you just have to know the time and place for that. Just my opinion though.
    IMHO, this is the way it is for most...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    No. I'm what they call "book smart, street stupid." Working on the street smarts and SA though. Just reading up here at DC has helped oodles already!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    I was born this way. I didn't know that other people (other than police) even thought this way until I got on DC.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Learned or born with it, it would be funny to see a group of us go to dinner together. Everybody fighting for the same (back to the wall) seat.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I always blamed it on a distant relative "gambler" in my past...but I cannot sit with my back to a window or the door at a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post
    In
    I ran into a gang of "thugs" weren't your typical teenage type...But basically it was 7 guys (race isn't an issue for me, everyone is capable of some messed up stuff) maybe a month or three ago. I should have rolled on to the next gas station, but my low fuel light was on, so I needed gas right then.
    Along with good SA you need to keep an eye on that gas guage. Running low on fuel is not good security practice.

I do not think it is a genetic characteristic that a person is born with. I think it is how someone is raised. Like said above, if someone is raised in a rough environment they learn to keep their back guarded at all times. Any one can learn it though. But like everything some people are better learners than others.

Senior Moderator
    Running low on fuel is not good security practice.
    Really. I never let mine get less than 1/4 of a tank.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I think there can be some predisposition to more awareness, but I feell the majority of it is learned. MY kids have zero SA. Wife has a good instinct about people, but can miss potentially dangerous things developing in the periphery.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

My SA is pretty good, the military and my time as a bouncer definitely helped. After a while you get a feeling for people and situations. I guess that some is probably natural, and some is developed as well. I'm not paranoid at all but I am aware of my surroundings. Like others mentioned, I'm not sitting with my back to a room, window, or door if I can help it and I like to know where exits are. You never know when TSHTF in lots of different ways, fires, tornadoes...etc

VIP Member
    Well... I do know some people who appear to have been born in condition white and have never been anywhere else!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links