Good Story

Good Story

This is a discussion on Good Story within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this good story on another board. My experience being robbed and kidnapped This happened in my hometown of Bell Gardens, California. It was December, ...

Thread: Good Story

Good Story

Found this good story on another board.

My experience being robbed and kidnapped

This happened in my hometown of Bell Gardens, California. It was December, 1992. I was 18 and home from college for the holiday.

My dad had me go to Food4Less to pick up a few groceries. It was almost exactly 10 PM when I went into the store. I walked out about a half hour later. The parking lot was moderately lit. I’m not sure if there was any security or not.

As I walked toward my car, I noticed two Hispanic gangbanger-type guys, walking in my direction. They were very close to each other, touching elbows in fact. I sensed they were acting oddly, but didn’t think much of it. We passed each other without incident, and I just assumed they were headed to the store. I did notice them make a sudden change of direction just after we passed. Again, I dismissed it.

As I reached the car, I opened the door, sat down and put the bag of groceries on the seat next to me. Suddenly, I felt cold steel against my left cheek. I knew it was a gun, held by Bad Guy #1. He told me to scoot over. I did. Then he told me to get in the back seat, which I did by climbing over the seat. BG#1 then told BG#2 to go around and get in the back seat with me. When BG#2 got in the back seat, I saw BG#1 insert a magazine into the gun. He then handed it to BG#2 and said, “If he sees my face, shoot him.” I took this as my cue to look at my lap, and only my lap. BG#1 started the car and drove out of the parking lot. I had been kidnapped.

As we drove, I prayed. I was not a Christian then, but I believed. They methodically took my wallet, cash, jewelry, watch, even the groceries. The ride was only about five minutes but felt like hours. I only ever looked down the whole time. I felt the car pull into a driveway and stop. BG#1 said, “We’re getting out here. Wait five minutes before you leave. If anyone comes looking for us, we’ll go and kill your family.” He had my license, so it was a valid threat. Then they left.

I waited about three minutes before looking up. I half expected them to still be standing there, but they weren’t. I got in the driver seat and left. When I got home, my dad saw my empty hands and asked me where the groceries were. I told him I had been robbed. I went into my room and sat on the bed, shell-shocked. I just stared into space. I’m not sure I could even process what had just happened. It took me about 15 minutes to even shed tears.

17 years later, I’m still stupid, but I have learned a few things along the way. I will try to list some of the more basic here:
    • I should not have gone to the store at 10 PM.
    • I should have consciously parked in a well-lit area.
    • I should have been much more aware of my surroundings and alarm bells should have gone off when the (eventual) BGs were acting weird.
    • I should have turned right back around and into the store if I felt something was not right.
    • I should have been scanning 360 degrees as I walked into the lot.
    • Once I noticed the BGs change direction, I should have done the exact same thing, turn around and walk back into the store.

For the record, I am half Mexican and a sometime (as a teen) gangbanger myself (albeit a wannabe one). In Bell Gardens, gangbangers were a common sight. Their mere presence was not cause for concern. But I did miss the very obvious signs that something was not right.

I never did call the police. There was too much risk, I felt, for the death threat to be realized. They had my address and I had never gotten a good look at their faces anyway.

This experience has colored my life. I am much more conservative and “law and order” than my peers, and I think it is because of this. Further, I strongly believe in the right to carry which, while not the reason I left California, is one major reason I didn’t return.

Most importantly, I have learned that I was in “Condition White” that night. I don’t generally use the terms “Condition White”, “Yellow”, etc., but I now understand their meaning. Never again will I be that unaware. I don’t blame myself, though. I was just a child. I fully believe the Lord protected me that night, and I thank him for it.

I have posted this here hoping that you, or someone you love, can learn something from it and be safer.

Rich

A lesson for the , for sure...and a reminder to the sheepdogs.

Had he been very alert and armed, CA could have been two dirtbags shorter.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good story.

I have a question for you "sheep dogs". Say that you are in a situation to where you end up in the exact spot as the guy did in the back seat. (I know you wouldn't, but say you were so outnumbered and you were taken by major suprise... in fact ignore the fact that you are armed for the sake of my question). The guy says shoot him if he sees my face. Do you look? I would want to sneak a look if I could. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    Good story.

I have a question for you "sheep dogs". Say that you are in a situation to where you end up in the exact spot as the guy did in the back seat. (I know you wouldn't, but say you were so outnumbered and you were taken by major suprise... in fact ignore the fact that you are armed for the sake of my question). The guy says shoot him if he sees my face. Do you look? I would want to sneak a look if I could. What would you do?
    If they already had a gun drawn and loaded pointing at me...no way. I would do exactly as they asked. They already had the upperhand on me and I would be doing what I could to stay alive.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Good story.

It's not a question I can answer, because I'm NOT getting into any back seat. That would pretty much a guarantee that you're headed for a dirtnap. If I'm headed in that direction, it's going to be at the scene of the crime.
    Prior to that, a victim's reaction better be quick and violent.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    If they already had a gun drawn and loaded pointing at me...no way. I would do exactly as they asked. They already had the upperhand on me and I would be doing what I could to stay alive.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's not a question I can answer, because I'm NOT getting into any back seat. That would pretty much a guarantee that you're headed for a dirtnap. If I'm headed in that direction, it's going to be at the scene of the crime.
    Prior to that, a victim's reaction better be quick and violent.
    ha... you are cheating. I am trying to say in a situation of your own making in which there is no alternative to getting in the car. maybe I am .. no matter the threat and number of people and the situation... you will not get in that car?

ha... you are cheating. I am trying to say in a situation of your own making in which there is no alternative to getting in the car. maybe I am .. no matter the threat and number of people and the situation... you will not get in that car?
    I don't think retsup99 is cheating. There are always alternatives. For example:

If armed Nazis are loading you into a cattle car on the way to Auschwitz, do you think that compliance is your only choice?

Would you give up your liberty and submit to transport to an undisclosed location for unknown slavery/torture in order to live a little longer?

"That I cannot do" is retsup99's answer.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Good story.

You do whatever is least likely to get you killed. Then look for opportunities and weigh the risks. In this case, compliance resulted in survival without a scratch. Many of these stories end differently. He may have had an opportunity to pop open a door and jump out. The risks range from road rash to getting hit by another car. But he would have removed himself from the car with thugs and guns. The longer you are alive, the greater the odds for an opportunity of escape. However, there are no gaurantees. Stay alert. See and avoid.

I wish I could remember the show I watched.

It basically stated never get in the vehicle if being
    kidnapped. Fight with all you have.. make as much
    noise as possible but, don't go easy.

Who knows they may give up if you are too much
    trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I wish I could remember the show I watched.

It basically stated never get in the vehicle if being
    kidnapped. Fight with all you have.. make as much
    noise as possible but, don't go easy.

Who knows they may give up if you are too much
    trouble.
    I agree with you. The sad case of the Kelsey Smith murder in Overland Park, KS in 2007 immediately comes to mind. Overland Park is about as nice and safe a neighborhood as you are going to find. Kelsey was walking to her car in broad daylight from a brand new Target store right across the street from a very popular shopping mall when she was forced into her car and found dead days later.

A police officer being interviewed stated what you said. He also said to stay aware even though you may be in a nice neighborhood, because criminals target these areas since most people think that "it can't happen here" or to them. With that lack of situational awareness, they become easy victims. He didn't go so far as to say that if Kelsey had been looking around constantly at her surroundings she may have seen the murderer sooner and may have been able to run away. In Kelsey's case, her abductor came from between parked vehicles right behind her and pinned her to her open car door and forced her inside. At that point, I think fear and the idea of compliance=survival kept her from exiting the vehicle from the other side, but that's just my opinion.

It was heartwrenching to see her parents go through this and the trial, especially since her father is a police officer. I will never know this, but I have often wondered if he taught her to cooperate or taught her to fight. Only he knows for sure, but if he told her to cooperate, he must surely be beating himself up inside. Especially since not long after that some thugs tried to carjack a lady at the mall across the street and she refused to get out of her car even though they fired off a few shots. She then rammed the car they used to block her in with her vehicle and they took off without her being harmed. When she was interviewed, she said that she wasn't about to become another Kelsey Smith.

There are stories of people who cooperated and were left unharmed. It's up to the individual to decide what to do. I respect either decision. However, I have taught my young son and wife from day one to run, kick, scream and do whatever it takes to keep from being abducted. I think my chances of surviving being shot in public and getting help are much better than being taken somewhere remote to be found as a corpse days later. I am no internet tough guy, just someone who fears being abducted and killed more than being shot and left in a public area where if I am still alive I may be able to get help almost immediately. I will not rely on the criminal to have any compassion only to find out that I am dead wrong.

Murder of Kelsey Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Kelsey Smith's Family Marks Somber Anniversary

Woman Talks About Attempted Carjacking at Oak Park Mall - WDAF
    Last edited by kccad; July 5th, 2009 at 03:47 AM.

A few thoughts:

He should not have been carrying anything with his address on it in his wallet or obvious pocket. That may sound strange, but think about it. Also, the BG "inserted a mag into the gun". It seems plausible to think that there was no round in the chamber (I know, he could have just fully loaded the mag after chambering a cartridge).

Sponsored Links