Close Encounter Outside Bank Yesterday

This is a discussion on Close Encounter Outside Bank Yesterday within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to take care of some business at the bank yesterday late afternoon. As I left the bank, I did a visual sweep of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close Encounter Outside Bank Yesterday

Close Encounter Outside Bank Yesterday

Had to take care of some business at the bank yesterday late afternoon. As I left the bank, I did a visual sweep of the parking lots and alleys and there was nobody about. The only people I could see were two men in a car two slots down from mine (between my car and me). They were there when I pulled in. I walked toward the lot my car was in and suddenly I hear rapid steps behind me (with maybe a stumble). I am now between the sound and the two guys in the car about 15 feet away.
    I turn my head slightly and see a 20+ white male, about 6' tall, suddenly move from directly behind me (about 2 feet away - way too close), to my weak side, suddenly badly overacting to "play off" that he was up to anything. I also had the distinct impression that he and the two in the car were exchanging visual cues. I looked him right in the eyes and said, "Coming up behind someone like that just after they have left the bank is a good way to get shot." (You know, like, "If you touch the burner you will get burned...)
    He stopped for a second and I used that opportunity to get out from between the three of them and put a couple cars between us.
    The guy then says, "Did you threaten to shoot me? You just threatened to shoot me!"
    I replied in a no-uncertain-terms tone, "No, I did not. A stunt like what you just pulled is a good way to get yourself shot."
    His reply was, "Get out of my way." (Uh, there were two cars between us.)
    He then got into the car between the one the two were in and mine. Suddenly the car with the two started to pull out (would give them a blocking advantage) so I beat them to the punch and was able to leave the lot first.
    I kept trying to figure out where the guy came from. Then this morning I took a look at a satellite shot of the location and suddenly realize that the "stumble" I heard was most likely him dropping from the big tree right at that location.
    My gut instinct tells me he miss-timed his jump and missed me - screwing up his robbery attempt, and suddenly switched to plan B.
    The entire encounter must have lasted only about 8-10 seconds, but it seemed like 5 minutes.
    I was able to gather no usable "witness" data during that time. I was more concerned with getting out of the area, fast. All I can offer is: Three white males, approx. 20-23 years old, short hair. Two cars, one black one white.
    It took until nearly midnight for my mind to settle down. I think I got off lucky on that one.

Update: I posted a sat image of the area - it is a couple pages into this thread.
    Last edited by RemMod597; July 1st, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Update: I posted a sat image of the area - it is a couple pages into this thread.

2. Remove Ads

Just a reminder to never let the guard down.

Sounds like you were lucky. You handled it well as far as I can tell. I am not sure if it was a bad idea to say what you did. You were in a bad situation for a second when he was accusing you of threatening to shoot him. That's not the kind of attention you need to bring to the situation. I can't think of anything better to say though.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Just a reminder to never let the guard down.
    Brother, don't you know it!

Congrats on being alert...it most likely saved your hide.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    Sounds like you were lucky. You handled it well as far as I can tell. I am not sure if it was a bad idea to say what you did. You were in a bad situation for a second when he was accusing you of threatening to shoot him. That's not the kind of attention you need to bring to the situation. I can't think of anything better to say though.
    Yes, when he was accusing me, I was thinking, "oh crap!"
    I think he was just trying to move the spotlight off of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Yes, when he was accusing me, I was thinking, "oh crap!"
    I think he was just trying to move the spotlight off of himself.
    yep... that could have been bad if there were witnesses at a distance that only heard what he said and not what you said.

Tell the bank what happened and see if they have security video of the area. Might help someone else from being a target.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Holy crap. Glad you're ok.
    That's a great reminder to scan EVERYthing. That's a habit I've gotten out of since getting out of protective work years ago. Thanks for pointing that out.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sounds like you dodged a bad situation. I have to agree with jtyler too. While your statement was not technically threatening, someone can spin it that way. And if they spin it that way to the police, your day only goes downhill fast. It might have been better to say something like, "It's not a good idea to approach someone the way you did." In your defense, it took me a few minutes to come up with that without the stress of a potential robbery.

Glad nothing bad happened. Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    We get so use to a eye level world we forget to look up. Lots of places to hide. You did OK.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by semostickbow View Post
    Tell the bank what happened and see if they have security video of the area. Might help someone else from being a target.
    I have been considering doing just that. I'll call and ask to speak with their security lead.
    Looking back, it is a good spot for someone to do a robbery and get away. Ramps to I-5 are just a couple blocks away.

Did you at anytime have your hand on your weapon ready to draw? What was your plan in case things went south? Glad to hear you made it out OK.
    III

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    We get so use to a eye level world we forget to look up. Lots of places to hide. You did OK.
    I really kick myself for getting complacent in "looking up".
    My Light Search and Rescue training (I am an instructor) really pushes the "do you know what is overhead?" question/awareness.
    This has been a wake-up call on a couple points. Including closer monitoring of what comes out of my mouth in situations like that. (A toughie for me, as I do not normally mince my words. Been working on improving that for over 25+ years now... )

Second the motion to talk to the bank and let them know where you think the guy was hiding.

Maybe the bank has some security video from outside as well. If they do, and it shows a guy in a tree with two possible accomplices nearby, law enforcement might be interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links