Camping and carrying...

Camping and carrying...

This is a discussion on Camping and carrying... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe I'm going to get flamed here, I'm ALWAYS prepared for the worse...ALWAYS. Here's why (very sad story): Couple, loyal dog shot to death on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping and carrying...

Camping and carrying...

Maybe I'm going to get flamed here, I'm ALWAYS prepared for the worse...ALWAYS.

Here's why (very sad story):

Couple, loyal dog shot to death on camping trip - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Campers Steven Haugen and Jeanette Bauman headed out with their Labrador retriever, Caesar, for an overnight camping trip in the Willamette National Forest on June 30, 2005.

Steven Haugen, 54, and Jeanette Bauman, 56, were shot to death on a camping trip, along with their Lab, Caesar.

The Oregon day was bright and sunny, perfect for hiking and camping.

Haugen, 54, Bauman, 56, and Caesar were found shot to death at the couple's campsite the following day. Four years later, the killer continues to elude sheriff's detectives.

The case is similar to the double slaying of a mother and daughter a year later in neighboring Washington state. Both sets of victims were slain in rural settings on public lands, and in both cases the victims' vehicles were left at the scene, the Lane County Sheriff's Office said.

There is no apparent motive in either case. Haugen was a school counselor and track coach, and Bauman taught business. Neither had any known enemies.

According to police, the killer took some camping items and the license plate from their 1997 GMC Jimmy SUV.

"It's not clear what the reasoning is. Is it a robbery? We have a profile of the killer or killers with the help of FBI resources. One theory is that it could be a crime of territory," said Lt. Randy Smith of the Lane County Sheriff's Office.

This week marks the fourth anniversary of the slayings, and police wonder whether the killer could strike again, particularly if the killings were territorial.

Police believe that Bauman and Haugen were randomly selected, possibly by someone angry the campers were in "his woods." It's also possible that someone spotted them and saw them as prey.

Smith said authorities are seeing more territorial disputes in the woods, although they are still rare.

"Whoever did this to my mom and Steven knew these woods well," said Gary Bauman, Jeanette Bauman's son. "Obviously, there are people in the woods with guns, maybe hunters, but I believe my mom and Steven were just at the wrong place at the wrong time."

"It's possible Steven may have a handgun, as often campers do for protection from bears," he noted.

Police say they are not naming any suspects at this time but are watching a group of individuals who fit the profile developed by investigators and who may have been in the area at the time of the slayings.

Police are asking for help from the public. Anyone with more information leading to the arrest or conviction of the person or persons responsible for the deaths of Jeanette Bauman and Steven Haugen is asked to call the Lane County Sheriff's Office tip line at 541-682-4167. A $5,000 reward is offered.
    Your thoughts?
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I ALWAYS carry when camping. ALWAYS.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Depending on how the killings took place it may not have mattered one bit of they were armed or not.

Having a firearm doesn't make you immune to crime or even death. You still have to be aware of what is taking place around you.

If they were setting up camp, driving in tent stakes or whatever and the guy took them out with a rifle from behind cover/concealment at a distance, they would never have know what hit them. The dog was probably dispatched after the people were just to shut it up. You are never safe if someone is intent on a random act of killing. Especially in an out of the way place.

You might refer to the rules. If it is not legal for you to carry when camping, my suggestion is to find someplace else to camp. That is what I do, or leave it in the camper. Corp of Engineer property/campgrounds you can't carry on, so it stays in the motor home when we are there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Depending on how the killings took place it may not have mattered one bit of they were armed or not.

Having a firearm doesn't make you immune to crime or even death. You still have to be aware of what is taking place around you
    No doubt, I don't know anything more than what's in this article, they could have been picked off w/no oppotunity to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If it is not legal for you to carry when camping, my suggestion is to find someplace else to camp.
    Good advice, but in some areas/states that's not an option, unfortunately.
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

National Forests, BLM lands and National Wilderness areas are federal property.

As such, it is legal to open carry a handgun irregardless of any state laws.

Except during hunting season, firearms are prohibited on Corps of Engineer or TVA dams, lakes/reservoirs and campgrounds. [36 CFR 327.13]

ALWAYS carry..... Period,...

As stated above, always carry.

I just spent a week camping in the Florida Keys and carried the whole time (Except swimming)....no one was even remotely aware. I would not even think of heading into Key West without it.

Camping in a remote area provides a great opportunity for a BG to commit crimes without being witnessed. Not on my watch
    2A is not negotiable

I always carry when out camping. One reason I got a CC was for Archery Deer Season, where carrying a firearm is not allowed, even in your vehicle, unless you have a CC permit. A stupid law, but now I am legal.

The woods can be a dangerous place, as evidenced by the OP here. Always be able to defend yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    I always carry when out camping. One reason I got a CC was for Archery Deer Season, where carrying a firearm is not allowed, even in your vehicle, unless you have a CC permit. A stupid law, but now I am legal.

The woods can be a dangerous place, as evidenced by the OP here. Always be able to defend yourself.

Back in 1991, that is why I got my first CC,... Never dreamed we would need one for the protection from the two legged animals..

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Camping=carrying.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Isolated areas mean one of two things, either I am armed, or I don't go.
    I really dislike breaking the law...too expensive if caught, and Murphy's Law usually follows me around.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always carry a gun when camping or on float trips.

As a matter of fact, if camping in remote areas, I insist on having people take turns on guard duty so not everyone is sleeping at the same time. If they don't want to do that, I won't go to remote locations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I live in NY. According to Handgunlaw.us , the law was changed in April of this year that makes carry in State Parks illegal.

When I go on short hiking trips alone, I always pack either my .357 magnum revolver or my 9mm auto and a reload or two. Sometimes I frequent the densely forested areas, and I fear running across a marijuana patch or a hidden methamphetamine lab and its miscreant owners.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links