Straight From Local News Tonight

This is a discussion on Straight From Local News Tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rumble I'd go completely nonlinear on him, leaping around like a deranged baboon with a shark on its back, just screeching and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Straight From Local News Tonight

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumble
    I'd go completely nonlinear on him, leaping around like a deranged baboon with a shark on its back, just screeching and chomping everything in sight.

I'd probably forget I had a gun.
    Now THATS funny!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Wow, tough crowd around here. Being the calm, rational person that I am, I would simply assume that I gave the young man the wrong change for my happy meal.

So I would give it to him.

All in nickles.

About $5 worth.

In a sock!!!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

he could have some super hot grease to splash on you, he could have a sharp knife used to slice the tomatoes or onions. He has jumped into your vehicle and assaulted you in front of your family. That's enough for me to do what I needed to do to stop the threat.

Thumbs, meet Mr. Eyeballs. Can't do that, Fist meet Mr. adams apple. Can't do that, separate the adversaries pinky from the rest of his hand. Can't do that, thumb in the pressure point under jaw. Can't do any of that, grab a chunk of his hair and move his head so you can introduce fist to adams apple. Can't do that, bang his nose w/ the top of your forehead.

And if he goes for my wife outside the vehicle and hasn't touched her yet, I flank, tackle and then give the above introductions. If he has his hands on her, then flank, multiple punches to the floating rib (lowest rib) and maybe a few kidney punches.

I will never, and I repeat never, try to do an arm bar or other type of controlling move. I've trained enough in MA to know from experience that those things just do not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    I will never, and I repeat never, try to do an arm bar or other type of controlling move. I've trained enough in MA to know from experience that those things just do not work for me.
    That's interesting because that's just about the only type of move that DOES work for me nearly all the time. Doesn't matter what size I'm facing.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    That's interesting because that's just about the only type of move that DOES work for me nearly all the time. Doesn't matter what size I'm facing.
    I know that you practice aikido, that's why I put in the qualifier for me.

Whatever works and gets the job done!!

Didn't read all of the responses but bet you any money he'd be looking at the business end of my .357 Magnum with a cute little red dot on the middle of his head.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

i'd nail him with that scalding hot coffee i just bought. i like the idea of fingers in eyes, twist of his head, facing it outward, push while i accelerate.
    or
    strong grip on the windpipe, got his attention? no? strong grip on the windpipe. night night dumb punk.
    or
    don't pay for dinner that way
    john

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If he's unarmed I'd grab him by the neck and pound the crap out of him. If he can fit thru the drive thru window he can't be very big.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Here's the question: You're the driver with your family. You're armed (say strong-side hip) AND you're belted in (good role model for the kids) how do you respond to this attack? Remember, the kid is not armed and he doesn't know you are. What do you do when he disengages to go after your wife? Remember, he's not a muscle bound moose, just a normal teen.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Unless he's a midget........

I usually pull in close to the drive-in window. If his head and shoulders are in my truck, his as..aahhh...hips and legs are still inside the restaurant. Forward a foot and slightly MORE left, jerk won't be chasing wife or anybody for a LONG time. If I get my left arm around his head, it's right hooks until he quits moving!

Smack him in the head with a baton. Ill have one when I have a car.

Wink Be Careful....

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger P345
    Smack him in the head with a baton. Ill have one when I have a car.
    Tell you what...get a baton, sit in a friends car and carefully (!!) mimic your "swing." Carefully and S-L-O-W-L-Y! Not quite so easy. Imagine doing it under the pressure of a fully committed physical attack. Next, the baton is a "weapon" and you might have a difficult time justifying having it in your vehicle, especially if you're not even 21 yet. Everybody these days is worried about violent young people. I can just imagine some cop pulling you over for a traffic infraction and finding your "baton." What are ya gonna use THIS for? In case the dog chasing your car actually CATCHES it? Not all cops are like this, true. But young folks are more likely to be unlucky in this department. Might have something to do with that ineffable quality we older folks call....attitude. Maybe this is just my skewed perception from teaching nearly ten years (of my 18 total) in an inner city high school....Just be careful.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Well, I always use my knife clip as a money clip, so the knife would be out and in my hand, so he might be having some hydralic issues.

The second thing to do is hit the accelerator and drag his butt out the window.

Now if my wife gets out of the car (I have GOT to talk to her later about that!) and the punk goes after her, then using the knife, car and/or gun to deter the punk is all in order.

its been a while since I have had the pleasure or whooping some as$. The last fight i was in, I was picking a Buddie up from a bar(taking him home, instead of him driving) and out of the blue some feller came out of know and jumped on my back. now I'm 6' and 230 not a little guy. tossed this dude off he came back at me I threw no more then 3-5 punches and they took him away in an ambulance, broken nose broken jaw and a cracked rib. totally forgot about the 1911, OC and baton.

this dude come jumping out the BK window would have met his match old school style, with clashing bone and sinew.
    The answer to "the voice in the dark", GET DOWN NOW!!(see avatar).
    The goal of an argument should not be victory, but progress.
    The chain of command? Is a 3/8" chain that I beat you with till you realize I'M IN COMMAND.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    an old hand to hand instructor taught me a thumb or finger in the eye ends most conflict it it dosnt end there crul said finger and out comes the eye this works i know this for a fact if he was after wife and i could get out of the truck i would asume his back is to me then he would be in a whole world of hurt but i dont think i would use my weapon tactical training imo includes dirty fighting one trick i learned is to load your hand makes for a more solid precitage of kos now a roll of dimes is heavy n illeagl so try a bick lighter i dont smoke but i carry one at all times stong side front pocket the load dosnt have to be heavy just has to fill the hand making less give at impact

I think this goes to show that the reaction to the situation is dependent on the training and skills of the individual, and the tools available to him/her. I can easily sit here and say what I would do, but the actuality of my actions might very well be different. I would have many tools readily available that are not normally thought of as weapons. It would definitly be a situation of reaction instead of proaction, so I would already be at a disadvantage.

I would find it very hard to justify the use of Lethal Force, other than the use of a pocket knife, but only at points that disable and make him reassess his motivation and actions. What a bloody mess though. Even as he approached my wife, would Lethal Force be justified? I don't think so. With him being unarmed, I don't believe it justifies me brandishing my weapon. Now, had he produced or aquired a potential weapon, such as a stick or club, I would be justified in brandishing my firearm and alerting him. The moment he didn't comply with my commands and raised the club to strike my wife, I would then be justified to use Lethal Force.

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a LEO use Lethal Force on a BG that is known to be unarmed, even if he/she is wailing on another person or LEO. Less then Lethal Force/Weapons are usually used. If the BG produces a weapon such as a club, shovel, or knife, or demonstrates actions/intent of the desire to escalate the fight, such as grab for the LEO's firearm, then all bets are off. As Less then Lethal tools are available to the public, the same principle of escalation of force apply. There has got to be some LEO's here that can shed some light. Off the record of course!! Ha, Ha!

I myself carry a bright Surefire/Streamlight light, at least two pocket knives on oposite sides, pepper spray, my keys on a short lanyard, and my primary and secondary firearms (and their mags - loaded of course). Oh, I also have my fists and feet. My use of such tools, individually or in combination, would advance based on my perception of the threat. Enough said.

RLTW!
    Rob
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Rules of a Gun Fight #23: "Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links