Straight From Local News Tonight

This is a discussion on Straight From Local News Tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, a man and his family are in a Burger King "Drive-Thru" ordering some fries and cokes for the family. Not wanting a lot of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Straight From Local News Tonight

Exclamation Straight From Local News Tonight

Okay, a man and his family are in a Burger King "Drive-Thru" ordering some fries and cokes for the family. Not wanting a lot of coin change, the dad (driver) gives enough money to insure dollar bills in a fair exchange. The cashier apparently didn't like this idea and words were exchanged. Suddenly the cashier (a punk; but not a muscle bound moose) LAUNCHES himself thru the dive-thru cashier window and into the pickup truck and begins to POUND the startled dad in front of the wife and kids. Kids screaming, crying, the wife gets out of the truck and moves around the front of the vehicle screaming at the punk to get off her husband. Suddenly the punk disengages and withdraws from the cab and moves on the WIFE.

Dad bails from the car and tackles the punk who is then held for the cops. Dad has several visible wounds on his head and face and (thankfully) his knuckles which I caught, but I'm not sure the viewing audience did. Also, dad and family were playing the "traumatized" card for the tv cameras (I'm sure the were) and I don't blame 'em.... this is one heckuva lawsuit. The brass ring from Burger King! They deserve it (both parties). A lot of my kids work at BK and they're all talking about how difficult it is not to do the same thing to their customers.

Here's the question: You're the driver with your family. You're armed (say strong-side hip) AND you're belted in (good role model for the kids) how do you respond to this attack? Remember, the kid is not armed and he doesn't know you are. What do you do when he disengages to go after your wife? Remember, he's not a muscle bound moose, just a normal teen.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Foot off of brake pedal...
    foot onto gas pedal...

Don't most of these drive-throughs have a camera looking right at the window? We should see this one on TV pretty quick
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Foot off of brake pedal...
    foot onto gas pedal...

Don't most of these drive-throughs have a camera looking right at the window? We should see this one on TV pretty quick
    Okay, good response, now you've got an enraged punk still pounding on you and you're rolling blind into traffic. OR.... there's a car ahead and one behind, you're stuck....plus the wife has bailed and squeezed between the two vehicles to distract the punk.

I can't wait for the tapes, either...but I'll bet they're evidence for both the criminal and civil trials. Probably be awhile.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I left out step #3:
    After the gas pedal, sharp turn of the wheel to the left...if the teen is still there, he now has some other things to think about...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Drawing from that scenario would be problematic at best. I think the best bet is to try to get him the heck out of the car, then burn rubber. In my case, were I in the car with my immediate family, chances are he would get a rude wake-up call very quickly.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Assistant Administrator
    Incredible!!!

Certainly unless hopelessly boxed in - pedal to metal to create distance. if at pick up window then in fact I'd assume the vehicle would be head of queue anyways and clear ahead - well, enough to move out the way.

As for drawing - not a good idea even if as bad as described. Priority would be to go ballistic in return and put this guy's lights out fast. Easier said than done perhaps but the moment he launched the attack it's game on - everything but lead flying.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Haven't pistol whipped a punk in long time
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I left out step #3:
    After the gas pedal, sharp turn of the wheel to the left...if the teen is still there, he now has some other things to think about...
    Just what I thought. Turn him into grated cheese between the car and the wall.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

That's a no no

Here's the question: What do you do when he disengages to go after your wife?
    See my post under why I carry.

Take your chances, call me names, hit me, I won't shoot or even draw.

End your chances, (one way or another) assault my wife.

1952 - 2006
    IF he is able to get past the car and starts to pursue the wife (or GF) then I turn the wheel hard right, jump whatever curb is in the way and/or bump the car in front of you aside enough to open the car door, get out take very careful aim resting on the hood and fire a well-placed shot between his shoulder blades.

He has demonstrated his willingness to impart harm or serious injury on another person. He's after my wife or girlfriend.

Sorry, his ticket gets punched at that point.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Amen to that

He has demonstrated his willingness to impart harm or serious injury on another person. He's after my wife or girlfriend.

Sorry, his ticket gets punched at that point.
    Amen to that

Sorry folks I've been out of the net all day monitoring the statewide annual testing at my school. Great responses! I went through a drive thru last night myself and thought of this scenario. This place had two windows, one where you pay and a seperate one to pick up the food. Makes sense, prevents drive aways without paying. Last night I had to get so close to the window for my change (like the story) that had I turned the wheel sharply to the left, my bumper (sorry bump) would have crunched the wall instead of the target. In fact, that action might have afforded him a small "safe space."

I also think that drawing absent a visible weapon under any circumstances is not holding to the "reasonable man" doctrine used in courts...like the Grand Jury proceedings. I think the dad in this case acted correctly, he saw a threat to his wife and he met physical force with physical force but not deadly force. I think that would be my course of action. That way, when the punks head hit the sidewalk and splattered all over the place, it was not a gunshot, but rather a sad and tragic outcome to an ill spent childhood. Yada Yada Yada.

Hey, you take the risk to put me and mine at risk and you might encounter a leeeeetle more risk than you anticipated. But, I would hate to run afoul of the the process by drawing against an unarmed man. Then suddenly HE becomes the "victim" to the media and the law and it gets messy for me. This is why everybody needs some force on force training and why I study Aikido. Heck, even a TASER would've done the job here.

I think my right arm will wrap around his neck. I think I will scrunch my head down, and I will come as close to standing, as possible, in the cab, and I will apply the arm-bar forcefully upward, towards my chin. I think his neck will break. Too much groping in confined quarters- no guarantee he won't access your sidearm before you do, in fact he'll have the better chance to.

If I were not armed, thump & drive, baby. A sidearm with a nut-job in close proximity ups the ante a bit.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    If the guy is still hanging halfway in my window, and there is the slightest chance I can pull forward, I will take off. Most drive through resturants, have enough room to get up a little speed before getting to the street. If some hard acceleration doesn't toss him out of the window, then a dive to the right and slamming on the brakes will.

In the mean time, I will be whacking away at him with everything I have, and anything within reach.

If the bg has already exited the vehicle and going after my wife, he is going to find out what it feels like to be tackled by an enraged 250lb husband. If he has already reached my wife, and is in the process of doing anything threatening, the ante goe WAY up.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Just for grins,while I'm thinkin' of what to do to really hurt this el punko. I'd scrape him down the full length of the Bugger King wall. Can't imagine he could do any real damage to you. He would not have the use of his legs and he couldn't take a full swing at you. Seems it would be pretty easy to get him in a goodin tight headlock.

I always have a couple of little goodies within quick reach for instances such as this. Mainly a small blade in my visor and a 9",10oz. SAP between my seat and the console. Anybody that sticks their head or arm in thru my window is gonna "take a beatin" from my little friends. --------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links