Kids Say The Darnedest Things

This is a discussion on Kids Say The Darnedest Things within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my permit to carry for a couple weeks now, and I carry, in some form or another, fairly regularly. My family and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids Say The Darnedest Things

Thumbs up Kids Say The Darnedest Things

I've had my permit to carry for a couple weeks now, and I carry, in some form or another, fairly regularly. My family and a friend of ours went out boating yesterday. As we were preparing to leave the lake, boat was on the trailer and we were simply securing the cooler and tube, a park police officer stopped by to talk.

I am, on some evenings and weekends, a Reserve Deputy for one of the local Sheriff's departments. I work with the water patrol unit, in which we patrol the lakes, rivers, and parks of the county. Often we will talk to people and just make sure they have all the necessary life jackets, throwable PFDs, and fire extinguishers. This officer was essentially the equivalent for a specific chain of parks in another county.

As this officer stops his bike (pedal bike), my 7 year old step son decides he has information to share. Before the officer even says hello, Lance says, 'He has a gun,' pointing to me.

To my pleasant surprise, the officer simply responds, 'He probably has a permit,' asks me if I have my gun with me, and continues querying my about life jackets, etc. Lance then exclaims, 'He's a sheriff.' I am not. In Minnesota, the great state in which I live, you need to be certified and licensed to be a LEO. I'm a reserve, which is an unlicensed, unarmed (in the sense of a firearm), volunteer. I showed my ID, and we both laughed about my son's friendliness.

Overall, a GREAT first experience with law enforcement while carrying my weapon. For the record, I have not found an IWB holster I like, so I carry open, with a Serpa Level 2 holster. In this case, my weapon was in the pocket of my swim trunks, partially concealed by a loose button-up shirt (typical boating wear!)

To the office with Three Rivers Park District:
    Last edited by ecrist; July 3rd, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: I kant spel
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Overall, a very positive experience, the way it should be.

Needless to say you need to have a chat with your son.

BTW, I agree with you about the IWB carry method, I always carry OWB.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Nice encounter.

So, just how soon are you going to have breakfast and a chat with your son?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep! You're going to have to have a long talk with that boy. LOL
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Talked to the kid as soon as we were all in the truck, heading away from the lake. I told him it's not bad that he told the officer, but that I don't want everyone knowing I carry a weapon. I also let him know that he should let the adults talk to the police.

That all being said, it's still going to be hard for him not to talk, because of my volunteering and his dad is a licensed officer for another agency. Having cops around, in various capacities, is normal. He's only 7, so still very innocent.

I'm not really worried about him talking to cops, it's the regular folks out there I'm worried about. I think he understands my point of view, but I don't need him to share that data with someone I might be having a heated conversation with.

Could of been worse,If he was mad at you he coulda said my daddy has a buncha crack,He's also wanted for murder,and he has a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Could of been worse,If he was mad at you he coulda said my daddy has a buncha crack,He's also wanted for murder,and he has a gun

That sounds like something I would've said when I was a kid.

Biker

Wow, I thought stuff like that only happened to me.

Have you tried the Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB?

Nope, but after a quick Google, I think I'll be ordering one to try it out.

This event is why I never told my step-sons I had a permit, or that I was carrying. Kids will blurt out anything.
    On a less positive note, I know of step-kids who would claim that they had been threatened with a pistol by their step-dad, just to have the step-dad locked up.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    This event is why I never told my step-sons I had a permit, or that I was carrying. Kids will blurt out anything.
    On a less positive note, I know of step-kids who would claim that they had been threatened with a pistol by their step-dad, just to have the step-dad locked up.
    This would not really apply in my situation. I am open with my wife and kids about my carrying. I don't want them to be surprised if they find it. His dad being a cop, and my reserve status, makes carrying a gun 'normal' to him. He was simply trying to be friendly with the officer. One of those, the cop has a gun, and he has a gun too!

Ya,... and after ya got it all straighted out with the police..... Well I wouldn't want to be in his shoes then.. LOL...

I recomment the Pure Kustoms Black ops Pro.. Very thin, very comfortable,..

ecrist-
    Hello to a fellow Minnesotan. I just left Mpls for the Minnetrista. I have a Crossbread for my Glock 27. Carry most days.

Like the holster, you can read about it on this forum. Worth getting the combat cut (I cut mine myself after the fact). I found that looser fitting pants are the answer. Low rise jeans and a few extra pounds are uncomfortable with any IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

That sounds like something I would've said when I was a kid.

Biker

Biker, you're a hoot!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links