Anyone can buy pepper spray....right?

This is a discussion on Anyone can buy pepper spray....right? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; police and military train with weapon retention and sometimes usage after getting hit with mace. And yes, a perp can absolutely hit you with OC ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can buy pepper spray....right?

police and military train with weapon retention and sometimes usage after getting hit with mace.

And yes, a perp can absolutely hit you with OC spray as a weapon - it's been done countless times before.

2. Remove Ads

After being sprayed, wouldn't this become a Disparity of Force situation? Even though the spray isn't considered a lethal weapon, it certainly tilts the odds in the criminals favor. Under normal circumstances, you might be able to fight the perp off with your fists, but being sprayed may take away some or all of your ability to do that, thus leaving you no other choice but to use lethal force to stop the attack. I don't know, I guess it depends on where you live.

Pepper spray is bad stuff. Before i was sprayed they squirted some oc in to a dumpster and had me stick my head in, and take a deep breath...it was horrible. Even if it misses your eyes you are still in for some trouble. If i was in the situation i would will try my best to distance myself from the threat, and do whatever i can to keep my firearm in my possession. That would be my number one priority (except using force if needed).

OC spray is nasty stuff. I used to carry that years ago when I was working as an armed security officer. After one bad experience of getting a sample of it I stopped carrying it altogether. Thankfully carrying it was "optional" but it was "recommended" by the management of the security company. NAH! After a sample of it, I don't wish this on anybody! It works quite well, but it does have a bad effect on you until you wash it off your body. Been there, done it!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The pepper spray that is available to everybody isn't that potent. If you have never been sprayed before it may seem horrible, but its really only 4%OC max. LEO's and military use 10-15% and yes that will put you down. I've been hit with 12% and lost a bet and got hit with the over the counter stuff, and there is really no comparison. If I get sprayed with the 4% stuff I know that I'll still b e capable of using my weapon accuratly at short range.

VIP Member
    Criminals will use pepper spray if that is what they can get their hands on and they can combine its use with surprise to gain enough time to pick your pocket, take your car, enter your home.

About 9 years back I had a 4 ounce can of pepper spray which had long since outlasted its expiration date. Not knowing what to do with it, I sprayed it into the woods in my back yard; big mistake. The pepper spray got carried by the wind and was obnoxiously annoying in my house, on the street in front of my house, and it hung in the air for an hour. I'm lucky my neighbors didn't get angry or call the cops over the nuisance.

Lesson learned-- pepper spray can do a pretty good number on you.

For some reason, it doesn't bother me. I had to be sprayed to qualify every year, and laughed it off. Sure it burned, but certainly didn't incapacite me. Same as when I was in the Army. The CS and CN fog didn't affect me at all. Maybe I'm just weird. To be honest, I was never hit with the foam. That might be a different story, but with my history, I doubt it. And I do eat high volumes of capsicum products daily. When I was with the SO, it seemed that CS didn't affect Hispanics very much.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    So far, I've had to be sprayed twice (once in the academy and once for the department), and test sprayed myself three times. It is not fun. If anyone was to spray me, it would be generally legally justifiable to shoot them. If you are sprayed do you have the ability to effectively fight for your life? Some people might, especially if they have received training. Most people probably will not be able to handle it. What is the purpose of them spraying you? To make you easier to kill? For them to grab your own gun and shoot you? There is just too much to worry about. Are you in fear for you life? Can you effectively protect yourself by other means? The purpose of OC is to incapacitate. You can't let that happen to you no matter what. If you do, you're as good as dead. You can make it through OC, just make sure you make sure you are able to LIVE through it. Whatever it takes.

Same thing with a Taser. No one makes it so I can't defend myself.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Damm what a thought

Never considered it. From a defensive view point.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtom123452 View Post
    The pepper spray that is available to everybody isn't that potent. If you have never been sprayed before it may seem horrible, but its really only 4%OC max. LEO's and military use 10-15% and yes that will put you down. I've been hit with 12% and lost a bet and got hit with the over the counter stuff, and there is really no comparison. If I get sprayed with the 4% stuff I know that I'll still b e capable of using my weapon accuratly at short range.
    the OC I bought for the wife and I before I became LEO is all 15%
    it just depends on some state's laws or what and individual wants to get, you can't just lump all "civilian" OC in the same category
    there are loads of companies/websites you can order 15% from right now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    For some reason, it doesn't bother me. I had to be sprayed to qualify every year, and laughed it off. Sure it burned, but certainly didn't incapacite me. Same as when I was in the Army. The CS and CN fog didn't affect me at all. Maybe I'm just weird. To be honest, I was never hit with the foam. That might be a different story, but with my history, I doubt it. And I do eat high volumes of capsicum products daily. When I was with the SO, it seemed that CS didn't affect Hispanics very much.
    CS we had to be hit with in the academy burned a little but not anywhere near like the ASR foam I got hit with, we were taught that some people aren't affected by CS but will have their tail kicked by OC/ASR, just like there is supposed to be 1% of the population that will not be incapacitated by a taser
    I know that the fairer the skin the more harsh the reaction to OC
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

[QUOTE=MilitaryPower;1223445]So far, I've had to be sprayed twice (once in the academy and once for the department), and test sprayed myself three times. It is not fun. If anyone was to spray me, it would be generally legally justifiable to shoot them. If you are sprayed do you have the ability to effectively fight for your life? Some people might, especially if they have received training. Most people probably will not be able to handle it. What is the purpose of them spraying you? To make you easier to kill? For them to grab your own gun and shoot you? There is just too much to worry about. Are you in fear for you life? Can you effectively protect yourself by other means? The purpose of OC is to incapacitate. You can't let that happen to you no matter what. If you do, you're as good as dead. You can make it through OC, just make sure you make sure you are able to LIVE through it. Whatever it takes.

Plus one to the above post!!!!!

I have been sprayed in training and it was a valuable lesson. If I were ever to encounter someone with pepper spray while on duty they would see the business end of my gun. If they did not comply with commands I would be forced to neutralize the threat. Pepper spray may be less lethal but it is nasty stuff. If you were to get sprayed it could incapacitate you and leave your gun exposed.
    (I always carry pepper spray off duty as well. It is always good to have another force option besides deadly force)

If a BG is going to spray you in hopes to incapacitate you, he has already had his intentions of doing harm and will more than likely continue. The BG will at some point have to get close enough to you if they are going to rob you and at that point jabbing a pistol in the throat or ribs or where ever and let all the rounds go. If I'm going to court, I'd like to at least do it alive. If my family were involved and they were kept safe, then this is a small issue.

I was out of town years ago with 2 of my buddies to an amateur radio convention. We got in town kinda late and looking for a place nearby that didnt look too bad, untill my buddy Ron starts walking to the entrance and I see 2 shadows move behind the stairs, at which point I yelled, they must be closed, TIME TO GO, then he realized he was about to get whacked. At the time we did not have a permit or firearm with us. To make the trip even better, we did find the good part of town, saw a trooper on the exit ramp, so pulled up to the stop sign, tapped the horn and no response. The guy was in a dead sleep. When I hit the horn to say HEY, he jumped and slowly rolled the window down, and with a broken voice, Yes ? Then realizing we were from out of town, was happy to give us some good directions and a good place to stay.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I used to carry pepper spray. Maybe that new "projectile" one that one of the gun makers make - sorry forgot the specifics - Kimber I think, sprays about 12' away and looks well made. But the little spray cans always seemed to get a bit "seepy" after awhile. Touched the area around the top once to get rid of fleck of oily lint. Later touched my finger to my lips. Yousy! In an instant my tongue and mouth were burning. Flushed my mouth with about 10 glasses of water (DON'T SWALLOW) and still tasted weird for hours

Another time, same kind of thing, only itched my eye. I was in a meeting. I looked like I had broken down and was crying like a baby as I rushed to men's room. Everyone must have thought I was nuts.

So, this was two different brands. If you want to use it as a trial, I'd get a new one once every month or two, before any oil gets around. Only need a little bit of that stuff loose.

In an emergency, seems like a tough thing to grab and hold right too so you don't spray yourself. Dunno. Never had to use one like that.

Far as legally buying it: in NY, in my county, you put your name and SS# on list the store keeps. No background check. But I guess if you are caught using it they can check to see if you complied.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I imagine for someone who uses contacts getting a blast in the eyes might be pretty incapacitating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links