Anyone can buy pepper spray....right?

This is a discussion on Anyone can buy pepper spray....right? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been mulling this over the past 24 hours. What if a BG surprises you with a blast of pepper spray? Would a BG use ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can buy pepper spray....right?

Anyone can buy pepper spray....right?

I've been mulling this over the past 24 hours. What if a BG surprises you with a blast of pepper spray? Would a BG use pepper spray to neutralize a potential victim? What if you are incapacitated by a stream of pepper? Can you shoot at a silhouette of the aggressor in defense since you would now be at a disadvantage if the BG happens to have a knife or gun for the secondary or final attack? How would you know being temporarily blinded? Thoughts please. Even though we maintain a certain level of awareness, there's still the surprise attack. Maybe even from a team of individuals where one sprays and one preys?

2. Remove Ads

Interesting thought. It would definitely make it difficult to defend yourself, but hopefully I won't let someone get that advantage over me. I guess I could start wearing my safety glasses everywhere I go now.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Heh, heh...in some jurisdictions the purchase of pepper spray requires a background check and registration of the can.

I don't think it would be a horrible thing to be pepper sprayed, as a test to see what it is like. Well, I'm sure it would be horrible, but not a bad idea

I suspect (hope?) that I would be able to 'power through it' if it were life or death.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Good point Ram Rod.
    I was sprayed in training once, and it might not be a bad idea for many permit holders to consider experiencing it under controlled conditions.
    Luckily, I'm one who resists it fairly well, and was able to largely keep my eyes open, but several in our class were quickly incapacitated and reduced to feeble hand to hand combat until they we're toughened to it.

Anyone considering trying it though should, IMO get professional instruction in a controlled environment. The respiratory effects can be dangerous in someone who has compromised respiratory ability or an unknown allergic reactions.
    Last edited by Arko; July 4th, 2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammer
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What if a BG surprises you with a blast of pepper spray? Would a BG use pepper spray to neutralize a potential victim?
    Of course they would. And they do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I guess wearing glasses has some advantages, while I'm sure I would get some in my eyes, I doubt I'd take a full blast.

Not sure how a shooting would be viewed after being hit with pepper spray, if the BG was armed with a gun or knife as well as pepper spray my guess is you would be OK. However if it turned out the only "weapon" he had was the pepper spray I think your looking at a long time behind bars.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    From what I've read, eating lots of Tex-Mex food builds a resistance to pepper spray. Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I guess wearing glasses has some advantages, while I'm sure I would get some in my eyes, I doubt I'd take a full blast.

Not sure how a shooting would be viewed after being hit with pepper spray, if the BG was armed with a gun or knife as well as pepper spray my guess is you would be OK. However if it turned out the only "weapon" he had was the pepper spray I think your looking at a long time behind bars.
    Pepper spray can cause you to asphyxiate. It is a dangerous weapon in my book. Only to be used in self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    From what I've read, eating lots of Tex-Mex food builds a resistance to pepper spray. Anyone know for sure?
    If that is the case, it will have no effect on me. Of course I am not really anxious to test out that theory.

On RamRod's question. I don't know why some criminals would not do whatever they could to have the advantage over their victims including pepper spray. It would just depend on how smart the criminal was or how much planning they did.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Could use anything at there disposal like the Wasp spray was suggested on another post on DC. I have been sprayed and I HATE spicy foods. For my OC certs you must gets sprayed and it stings like a *******. 1 wipe with the back of your hands and then you had to defend yourself for 1-2 minutes of an attack while protecting your side arm. It is the longest 2 minutes of your life. You should be able to protect yourself enough to get a sight picture and let a few well placed shots go. I would suggest getting sprayed only with medical personal near by. And never directly intot he eyes but the eye brow and let it run in.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    ...it might not be a bad idea for many permit holders to consider experiencing it under controlled conditions...
    I have said this on numerous occasions. If you plan on buying and carrying any type of spray...buy two. Then use one on a windy day and see just how far you can control it to a target...you might be surprised.
    Is it a fog or is it a stream? 3', 7', 15' stream...how do you know?
    If sprayed into wind, you WILL get some back spray, just like in a 'real encounter', and you should know how it feels. Can you still defend yourself?
    OMO

Stay armed...know your weapons...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 4th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    Pepper spray can cause you to asphyxiate. It is a dangerous weapon in my book. Only to be used in self defense.
    It may be potentially dangerous, but it is not classified as a lethal weapon. All I'm saying is that lethal force against a non lethal weapon is going to be looked at very hard. You stand a very good chance of facing charges in that situation.

Administrator
    Could criminals use OC spray offensively during the commission of a crime?
    Sure they could and they have.

They have also used stun guns in order to render victims helpless during robberies, carjackings, home invasions, kidnappings, child abductions & acts of rape.

It IS an added Felony to use OC Spray or a stun gun offensively rather than defensively.
    That is really not any sort of deterrent to scumbags though.

There was this "person" back when I lived in Pittsburgh that would pepper spray people coming out of the mall and pepper spray in to cars that were leaving the mall. For no other reason than to spray someone...

Now, I was pepper sprayed once with some Sabre Red. It's a long story and wasn't for any bad reason, but even though it hurt like crazy, I could still see what was going on.

It may give the BG an advantage, but I would still be able to see my target!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've been mulling this over the past 24 hours. What if a BG surprises you with a blast of pepper spray? Would a BG use pepper spray to neutralize a potential victim? What if you are incapacitated by a stream of pepper? Can you shoot at a silhouette of the aggressor in defense since you would now be at a disadvantage if the BG happens to have a knife or gun for the secondary or final attack?
    yep, he getting shot til I see that silhouette go down to the ground
    I would do that even if I wasn't a LEO, I have a gun, he would have access to get it more easily since I've been sprayed

in training we had to be sprayed and it did incapacitate me (kicked my butt actually, was in shower 30 minutes, in front of a fan for about 45 mins after that....was foam, my whole face and neck looked like I had a sunburn), thats enough for my department & the state of Texas for me to shoot someone that has pepper spray using it on me or if they get mine from my belt

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It IS an added Felony to use OC Spray or a stun gun offensively rather than defensively.
    That is really not any sort of deterrent to scumbags though.
    yeah....imagine that.....scumbags not following the law
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links