I'm glad it was only a false alarm

This is a discussion on I'm glad it was only a false alarm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little background on the story. I am currently taking care of my neighbors house, lawn, and feeding their koi and goldfish that are in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm glad it was only a false alarm

I'm glad it was only a false alarm

A little background on the story. I am currently taking care of my neighbors house, lawn, and feeding their koi and goldfish that are in their huge backyard pond and waterfall. They have been gone for about 5 days or so and wont be back until the 10th.

Well at about 1400hrs, my mom yells up to me that the neighbors house alarm is going off and that one of the older kids from across the cul-de-sac were walking back from the driveway. (Random ) Since they had a home invasion about a year or so ago by some of the finest society has to offer , I wasn't going to take any chances walking over there unarmed.

I went downstairs and grabbed my dad's Beretta which was inside of a fanny pack, and slung it over my shoulder. I proceeded to cautiously walk to the side gate of my neighbors house, keeping a solid grip on the gun which was still covered, but easily removed. As I opened the gate and made my way past the first set of windows, my heart was pounding, my adrenaline, flowing.

As I got to the rear right corner of the house, I recognized that I had very little cover to conceal myself if someone comes out and SHTF. After glancing around the corner down the backyard, making sure to look inside of the windows, I continued forward, looking inside the house, checking for open windows, and looking around the yard.

After making it all the way around the outside of the house, I saw no signs of forced entry. Everything was sealed tight like it should.

Since there were no signs of forced entry, I had very little reason to search the inside of the house. There was no point of access unchecked and no way anyone could go inside. After removing my grip on the gun and sealing up the pack, I made it back to the front yard and back onto my yard. Out of the blue, the neighbor's daughter pulls up (she's in her 40's and lives about 5 min away). She just so happens to be there to water the inside plants.

My mom and the neighbors daughter walk in to disable the alarm and look around the inside. I stood in my yard and made sure everything was just peachy from the outside.

About 5 minutes later, I walk back into my house to put the fanny pack on the table. Not a minute later, a local city sheriffs deputy pulls up into the cul-de-sac. I walked outside, now unarmed, and informed the deputy that the alarm had gone off, I checked the outside of the house, and my mom and the neighbors daughter are inside. He made contact with them, did a precautionary search of the house, and after talking for a bit with the daughter, he took off.

After he left, the alarm would not rearm. We looked at every door and window and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Looking for about 15 minutes, I finally see that the sensor magnet that was attached to the rear sliding glass door was on the ground under a chair about 5 feet away. I used some adhesive and stuck it on, then duct taped over it to make it solid. Now I'm back home and everything is back to normal.

Anyone care to and critique about the events? Is there anything I can do better if the alarm goes off again?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm assuming that you carried the fanny pack and never took out the gun?

If so, sounds good. If there had been any evidence of a breakin I would have waited for the police, but it sounds like you did fine
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I'm assuming that you carried the fanny pack and never took out the gun?

If so, sounds good. If there had been any evidence of a breakin I would have waited for the police, but it sounds like you did fine
    Correct. It was fully concealed in the pack, but while inside, you are able to have a full grip, index finger extended, ready to pull it out.

Sounds like your a GOOD NEIGHBOR !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    My mom and the neighbors daughter walk in to disable the alarm and look around the inside. I stood in my yard and made sure everything was just peachy from the outside.

Two things cross my mind. The first being why didn't you call the police. Granted it was the middle of the day, but you never know what might have been going on. The second is letting your mom and the owners daughter enter the house before the interior was cleared of possible danger.

Glad it was only a broken magnent.

It is great to have neighbors that can depend upon one another to be a second set of eyes.

Our sub is like that...there are about 4 neighbors who interact with us and we watch each other's places...strangers roaming around, garage doors left open, and animals accidentally left out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Two things cross my mind. The first being why didn't you call the police. Granted it was the middle of the day, but you never know what might have been going on. The second is letting your mom and the owners daughter enter the house before the interior was cleared of possible danger.
    I know looking back, I should have searched the inside before they went in, no if's and's or but's.

The main reason I didn't make them wait was because there was no forced entry into the house. I have been there many times and we are really good family friends, so I know the inside and out as good as my own home. With every window sealed up, and nothing out of place, like curtains moved and no people visible inside of the house, I felt it "safe enough" to stand outside and observe.

I hate, and I do mean HATE the searching game.

If there had been signs of entry I would hope you planned to retreat to cover, not concealment, and had a plan to summon the local LEO's with updated information. In short, if you carry a gun you should carry a communication device as well, even if you're just taking out the trash.

While we are on the subject, if this little scenario didn't increase your pucker factor and make you think, OH CRAP, you need to reassess your mental game. You should be seeing new hiding places for badguys, where you never saw them before.

As far as sending Mom and the neighbor's daughter in first, that's what cannon fodder is for. I'll bet you never look at Mom the same way again. I just hope she doesn't read this over your shoulder and write you out of her will.

Most likely, if I knew that the local LEO's were on the way I would've located a place of observation and notified the dispatcher that I was observing the residence in question because of the alarm, and left it at that. When you go searching, after the LEO's have been summoned you do a pretty good imitation of a badguy. Don't be suprised if things go bad for you when they show up and you are busy searching.

It's real simple, once 911 is called you have declared the arena of combat to be their's. If you continue to play in their arena you may not like the results. If you don't call them, then it's still your arena, but only a fool would not call them, IMO.

I'm glad that things worked out for you and that this was just a "false alarm". This is how you learn. I hope the expirience opened your eyes to some of the pitfalls of searching for a possible badguy and scared the crap out of you. If it didn't, heaven and hell are both full of Darwin Award winners and you too may be able to join them in the future.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    The main reason I didn't make them wait was because there was no forced entry into the house.
    How can you be sure the lock wasn't picked or bumped and the perp re-locked it behind him and knocked the magnet off so the system wouldn't re-arm and activate the interior motions?

I like your intent, but I think you handled it very poorly.

Given that scenario, you should call the police, then keep an eye out for any information that could be reported to the authorities, from a safe location. Until LEO arrives, there's no need to be sticking your neck out for a few possessions. Observe, report, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    How can you be sure the lock wasn't picked or bumped and the perp re-locked it behind him and knocked the magnet off so the system wouldn't re-arm and activate the interior motions?
    Because if they were capable of thinking that through, they'd probably be holding down a job instead.
    Crime should be outlawed.

You said the magnet was "on the ground." Did you mean inside or outside? If outdside, this was definitely NOT a false alarm. Never assume anything!

Stay safe.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    You said the magnet was "on the ground." Did you mean inside or outside? If outdside, this was definitely NOT a false alarm. Never assume anything!

Stay safe.
    Bob
    I've never heard of the alarm co. placing the magnets on the outside of the house?

It was from the inside, the sliding glass door in the back had a bar stopping the door from opening. The magnet fell and hit some chime type bells that are hanging down from the handle and then bounced across the floor.

Flying magnet?

I would have to ask how that magnet ended up on the ground? Was it inside the house or on the outside? If outside, than someone obviously had to open the door. All sensor magnets that I am familiar with are held in place with screws.

As far as your handling of the situation - Judges today often take a very strange stance on what they consider proper defense of property, life and limb. They could easily tell you that you should have called the cops and simply waited. As it turned out, you did fine and picked up some great points and passed those on to the rest of us.

Job well done.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    I would have to ask how that magnet ended up on the ground? Was it inside the house or on the outside? If outside, than someone obviously had to open the door. All sensor magnets that I am familiar with are held in place with screws.

As far as your handling of the situation - Judges today often take a very strange stance on what they consider proper defense of property, life and limb. They could easily tell you that you should have called the cops and simply waited. As it turned out, you did fine and picked up some great points and passed those on to the rest of us.

Job well done.
    That particular magnet was held in place by some old liquid adhesive, so it was able to come off. It is on a metal sliding door, so they didn't screw it in.

Since I have been requested by the owner to watch over the house and take care of the property, it is my understanding, that my family friend/neighbor has placed the care of the house/property in me, so that I would be legally entitled to protect all property against any form of break-in or vandalism, etc. The same as if someone were to do the same thing to my own home.

If any lawyers or anyone familiar with WA law and protection of property laws can confirm/deny any of this, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    Since I have been requested by the owner to watch over the house and take care of the property, it is my understanding, that my family friend/neighbor has placed the care of the house/property in me, so that I would be legally entitled to protect all property against any form of break-in or vandalism, etc. The same as if someone were to do the same thing to my own home.
    Legally entitled, perhaps, I don't know a thing about WA law. Morally obligated to place yourself in harm's way unnecessarily? Absolutely not.
    If the alarm goes off again, I'd advise you to:
    1) Call the police immediately.
    2) Approach the house only as necessary to observe(be a good witness).
    3) Wait for the police.
    4)Do not let your neighbor's daughter or anyone else enter the house.
    5) Let the police do their job and clear the house.
    6) Assist their investigation in any way you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links