Pulled the 9mm out for the 1st time today

This is a discussion on Pulled the 9mm out for the 1st time today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone asked the question in another thread today... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ir-weapon.html Well, I did today. First time... hopefully wont need to again, but who knows. Thought I'd ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled the 9mm out for the 1st time today

Someone asked the question in another thread today...http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ir-weapon.html

Well, I did today. First time... hopefully wont need to again, but who knows.
    Thought I'd tell a little about in a separate thread in case there was any discussion.

I know some will tell me how I should have "avoided" it, but I find it hard to ignore but so much from stuff trash that go around messing w/ people.
    In some cases, to ignore is to condone, & sometimes even encourages their bad behavior.

I was driving along a 4 lane street (35mph) in the out skirts oftown, minding my own business. I was in the left lane because I was getting ready to make a left in a block or two when a car comes up beside me & the driver hollered something about obama.
    I didn't think about it at first but he probably picked me because of the Mc Cain/Palin sticker on the back window of my pick up.
    I ignored him the first time but when he came up again hollered something about his hero again & called me bubba just as both lanes were about to stop for a red light, I asked him what he said.
    I don't even remember exactly what he said about obamy, but it was clearly "in your face".

Well I said something about obama & he said something about my mama, & I called him a name he didn't like.

BTW, a young black male driving, a young black female in the passenger seat, & a young black male in the back seat.

The one in the back seat got out from the other side & went around the back of their car & I could see him walking quickly up to my open passenger window. I had no way of knowing his intentions or what he had, so I instinctively drew the 9mm & held it beside my leg ready for a quick point & shoot just as he was arriving at my passenger window.

Thankfully, when he saw the gun & my calm, focused attention, the boy stopped, turned & went back to the other side of their car & got back in.
    There were a few more words & I pulled away (the light had changed), then another exchange of words as they passed by & disappeared in traffic.
    I

You should have avoided it. Considering the circumstances, if you did shoot, I think you would have some explaining to do. I know we all don't like to condone the crap you were dealing with, but taking the high road can keep you out of a boatload of trouble.

I would have ignored that. Let idiots be idiots and go about your marry way.

You were fine up until you communicated with him...asking him what he said (who cares, ignore him) and calling him a name.
    The name calling brought you into the dispute. This makes a self-defense story a little blurry.

Had you NOT said anything, and the same dude got out of his car and tried to open your door or appeared to be moving in between cars to get to your window...then the gun by your side would have be OK.

Additionally, I would have been on the phone to 911 with a plate number of the agressive driver.

You did call 911 right? If they decided to call and report you...there would be some 'splainin' to do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I wasn't there so I wouldn't try to judge, but my preference is liberal application of the gas pedal, unless it was absolutely unsafe to do so. If it attracted LEO attention, so much the better.
    Glad you're ok either way.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You did call 911 right? If they decided to call and report you...there would be some 'splainin' to do.
    Uhhh... no. I thought about that after the fact.
    I understand what you're saying. I've read & herd about the advantages of calling to report if you have to draw a gun, but I'll be honest w/ you, trying to do the right thing & calling the law has been counter productive more times than not for me.
    To often it seams that (for what ever reasons... all the hand tieing by red tape or just a bad attitude) they take the easy way out & "use anything you say against you" & ignore the trouble maker.

But I guess y'all are right. probably would have been better to ignore. And I do need to learn to concentrate on witness skills.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You were fine up until you communicated with him...asking him what he said (who cares, ignore him) and calling him a name.
    The name calling brought you into the dispute. This makes a self-defense story a little blurry.

Had you NOT said anything, and the same dude got out of his car and tried to open your door or appeared to be moving in between cars to get to your window...then the gun by your side would have be OK.

+1. There are times when asking what someone said is an innocent attempt to understand an impending situation or to offer assistance but a two-lane 35-MPH name-calling political discussion is not one of those times.
    It's good to carry for security. Get the benefit of the sense of security, leave the meaningless, petty, disputes to the shock jocks, and live up to a higher standard of care.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

You said!

I don't even remember exactly what he said about obamy, but it was clearly "in your face".

You defaulted to the level of training you mastered!

Reguardless those kids were wrong.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I avoid bumper stickers, there are idiots on all sides of any question. The Obamaniacs will key cars, slash tires, and spray paint their disagreement with your first amendment rights when you are not there. These are the same people that place people with batons at the entrance to polling places and get kudos from Holders Justice Department. Heaven forbid you have an NRA sticker in parts of Louisiana.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Think I would rather have a ticket for running red llight, than to get into a confertation. JMO

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Grey men don't display bumper stickers of any kind. Might have prevented the whole thing.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    When I was young,I may have answered an insult. Now I do not value a strangers opinion much. This could have turned out with you in prison for murder. You had a choice to keep driving and let it go. Why does it matter what these idiots said?In any case,it is your life and you have a right to make your choices.

Do you not have a duty to retreat first, being on a public road, that's the case in Sc, just curious about NC.

Ditto I would have ignored the dumb asses. In NY State that would have been a no no. Unless there is an immediate danger of physical harm and death one has to be to walk away from an encounter. Remember we as pro 2nd amendment citizens must exercise restraint. As much as I would have liked to tell that animal to go to hell, I would have kept silent. glad you are ok though

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    I find it hard to ignore but so much from stuff trash that go around messing w/ people.
    In some cases, to ignore is to condone, & sometimes even encourages their bad behavior.
    I read you that you had a change of heart about your encounter. Keep heeding the advice of the thoughtful DC posters, and stay alive and free. I don't mean to be preachy, but I believe that we all have encountered people that are asking to be taught a lesson. However, silence isn't consent when it's being a good witness.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links