Defensive Carry banner

Pulled the 9mm out for the 1st time today

6K views 79 replies 57 participants last post by  TedBeau 
#1 ·
Someone asked the question in another thread today...http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...ussions/81743-who-has-drawn-their-weapon.html

Well, I did today. First time... hopefully wont need to again, but who knows.
Thought I'd tell a little about in a separate thread in case there was any discussion.

I know some will tell me how I should have "avoided" it, but I find it hard to ignore but so much from stuff trash that go around messing w/ people.
In some cases, to ignore is to condone, & sometimes even encourages their bad behavior.

I was driving along a 4 lane street (35mph) in the out skirts oftown, minding my own business. I was in the left lane because I was getting ready to make a left in a block or two when a car comes up beside me & the driver hollered something about obama.
I didn't think about it at first but he probably picked me because of the Mc Cain/Palin sticker on the back window of my pick up.
I ignored him the first time but when he came up again hollered something about his hero again & called me bubba just as both lanes were about to stop for a red light, I asked him what he said.
I don't even remember exactly what he said about obamy, but it was clearly "in your face".

Well I said something about obama & he said something about my mama, & I called him a name he didn't like.

BTW, a young black male driving, a young black female in the passenger seat, & a young black male in the back seat.

The one in the back seat got out from the other side & went around the back of their car & I could see him walking quickly up to my open passenger window. I had no way of knowing his intentions or what he had, so I instinctively drew the 9mm & held it beside my leg ready for a quick point & shoot just as he was arriving at my passenger window.

Thankfully, when he saw the gun & my calm, focused attention, the boy stopped, turned & went back to the other side of their car & got back in.
There were a few more words & I pulled away (the light had changed), then another exchange of words as they passed by & disappeared in traffic.
I

See less See more
#2 ·
You should have avoided it. Considering the circumstances, if you did shoot, I think you would have some explaining to do. I know we all don't like to condone the crap you were dealing with, but taking the high road can keep you out of a boatload of trouble.

#50 ·
I find that a big smile and a slow wave :wave:, all while ignoring their drivel, infuriates your average moron ten times more than using the usual one-finger "salute"...

#4 ·
You were fine up until you communicated with him...asking him what he said (who cares, ignore him) and calling him a name.
The name calling brought you into the dispute. This makes a self-defense story a little blurry.:gah:

Had you NOT said anything, and the same dude got out of his car and tried to open your door or appeared to be moving in between cars to get to your window...then the gun by your side would have be OK.:hand10:

Additionally, I would have been on the phone to 911 with a plate number of the agressive driver.:smileys21:

You did call 911 right? If they decided to call and report you...there would be some 'splainin' to do.:blink:

#6 ·
You did call 911 right? If they decided to call and report you...there would be some 'splainin' to do.:blink:
Uhhh... no. I thought about that after the fact.
I understand what you're saying. I've read & herd about the advantages of calling to report if you have to draw a gun, but I'll be honest w/ you, trying to do the right thing & calling the law has been counter productive more times than not for me.
To often it seams that (for what ever reasons... all the hand tieing by red tape or just a bad attitude) they take the easy way out & "use anything you say against you" & ignore the trouble maker.

But I guess y'all are right. probably would have been better to ignore. And I do need to learn to concentrate on witness skills.

#5 ·
I wasn't there so I wouldn't try to judge, but my preference is liberal application of the gas pedal, unless it was absolutely unsafe to do so. If it attracted LEO attention, so much the better.
Glad you're ok either way.

#9 ·
I avoid bumper stickers, there are idiots on all sides of any question. The Obamaniacs will key cars, slash tires, and spray paint their disagreement with your first amendment rights when you are not there. These are the same people that place people with batons at the entrance to polling places and get kudos from Holders Justice Department. Heaven forbid you have an NRA sticker in parts of Louisiana.

#12 ·
When I was young,I may have answered an insult. Now I do not value a strangers opinion much. This could have turned out with you in prison for murder. You had a choice to keep driving and let it go. Why does it matter what these idiots said?In any case,it is your life and you have a right to make your choices.

#14 ·
Ditto I would have ignored the dumb asses. In NY State that would have been a no no. Unless there is an immediate danger of physical harm and death one has to be to walk away from an encounter. Remember we as pro 2nd amendment citizens must exercise restraint. As much as I would have liked to tell that animal to go to hell, I would have kept silent. glad you are ok though

#15 ·
I find it hard to ignore but so much from stuff trash that go around messing w/ people.
In some cases, to ignore is to condone, & sometimes even encourages their bad behavior.
I read you that you had a change of heart about your encounter. Keep heeding the advice of the thoughtful DC posters, and stay alive and free. I don't mean to be preachy, but I believe that we all have encountered people that are asking to be taught a lesson. However, silence isn't consent when it's being a good witness.

#18 ·
How I drive

No "controversial" bumper stickers. Windows up. A/C on. Doors locked. Mouth shut. Middle finger holstered.:wink:

Be in stealth mode...the gray man...a ghost.

Never draw a weapon that shoots a bullet that only weighs a few grains when you have a 4000 lb vehicle at your service.:yup:

Glad you're OK - now learn from this experience..."Don't get into a wrestling match with a pig - you only get dirty, and they like it.":tongue:

#19 ·
I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, it was a Days inn for me. But in Florida,

(all the events leading up to the encounter aside) Once he is coming around the car you prepare your weapon, when HE opens the door/reaches through the window/breaks the window it is automatically assumed he is about to commit a forcible felony Castle Doctrine Applies and he eats lead. (Do not get out of your car it is protection/escape, and it kills your castle doctrine defense if you get out to meet him.)

That being said the argument prior is an aggrivating circumstance, and it is also He Said/She said unless you have a video or audio recording. "He asked poor innocent BarryO Junior if he wanted some candy and shot him when he skipped along over to get the candy from the big meanie with the gun."

#21 ·
(all the events leading up to the encounter aside) Once he is coming around the car you prepare your weapon, when HE opens the door/reaches through the window/breaks the window it is automatically assumed he is about to commit a forcible felony Castle Doctrine Applies and he eats lead. (Do not get out of your car it is protection/escape, and it kills your castle doctrine defense if you get out to meet him.)
We have "no Castle" doctrine in our NC homes, much less our car/truck<G>.

No AC so the window has to be down.

#20 ·
This is exactly why I do not put bumper stickers advertising my political affiliations nor my status as an NRA member on my vehicles.

The only bumper sticker on my vehicles show that I am a Veteran.

#38 ·
And yet I'm sure the comments he was launching at the OP would not even raise an eyebrow of the police or DA. Seems like sometimes there are double standards applied to racial slurs and hate crimes.

Sorry if I offend any one with the above comment, but it does seem that to many times political correctness goes a little to far in one direction only.

#24 ·
Whew, when you took your CHP course didn't you get the privilege of watching the Mr. Bowtie movie with the role playing cops doing the bad acting?

The most important piece of concealed carry equipment can't be bought. The lip filter. When the gun is on, it should be too. You owe it to yourself and family to remember, the weapon is a LAST resort. You were in a 4000 pound get away machine. Why stop and leave that for a chance at loosing everything?

It's a learning curve. I'm glad you can be here taking abuse and enjoying the fact your ok. :yup:

If you learn from this your already way ahead of the obamanation shouter.

PS, if you didn't get to see the video, if your ever in the Hickory area with a few hours to kill I'd be happy to endure it again so you can see it. I'm about numb to it since I sit through it every class. :blink:

#25 ·
Glad things didn't get any hotter and there was no event to see on the local news.

No stickers for me. Too many nuts out there who will take offense at anything these days.. I also learned to keep my handgun as well as my middle finger out of sight a long long time ago.

I also learned to ignore the "D" finger in typing class..:wink:

bosco

#27 ·
That to me was clearly not the way to be responsible in your actions, so who cares what they say about your momma. They clearly had nothing better to do than try to piss you off, and you took the bait... You should of hit the gas and ran the light if it was safe to do so or, rolled up your window. If the person broke your window Game ON but, in my mind Very Unwise.. Involving yourself in verbal conflict made you no different, placing yourself in the childish behavior that they were in.

#30 ·
Not to belabor the point but, the way I see it, if the situation turned and you were forced to shoot:

Best Case Scenario: You're out 10k+ for legal fees associated with your defense.

Worst Case Scenario: You live out the rest of your life in a jail cell.

I can't imagine what anyone could say about my mother or my political affiliation that would justify either of these outcomes.

Don't forget that there were 3 "witnesses" in that car that will tell a radically different version of the story than you will.

#36 ·
Those same 3 words sum up why I left California as fast as I could when I retired :banned: That does not apply in the Gunshine State. I am a Floridian by choice "Stand your Ground" "Castle Doctrine" and all. :bier: :bier: :bier: :bier:

#33 ·
It is hard to ignore rude disrespectul idiots that obviously need a good old fashion country azz whoopin...Years ago i was quick (too quick sometimes ) to oblige them!:twak:
But age has taught me that its better to pretend those folks dont exsist and are invisible, (while actually watching them of course) than too confront them and escalate matters to a point were it doesn't need to go.

Don't talk to them, mind your own business and take pride in the fact that they have no idea what options you had at your disposal and how lucky they are you are a good, decent, honest person!:congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.