Home SD, rushed out of corner of your eye

This is a discussion on Home SD, rushed out of corner of your eye within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something goes bump in the night. Your not sure what it is, could have just been a dream or a car driving by, but you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home SD, rushed out of corner of your eye

Home SD, rushed out of corner of your eye

Something goes bump in the night. Your not sure what it is, could have just been a dream or a car driving by, but you are on alert. Assume castle doctrine jurisdiction. Everyone living in the home is accounted for. Maybe you have a flashlight, maybe you don't, maybe the house lights are on, etc. Lighting is not the issue.

Q: As you start down the stairs or hall, is your gun drawn?

Then a shadow, or something, (don't focus on the lighting factor) rushes you out of the corner of your eye. Maybe the lights are on, maybe they are not, thats not the issue. You have something coming at you fast.

Q: Do you aim and fire or do you need to confirm first?
    Last edited by Thanis; July 10th, 2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: less focus on lighting issue & wanted to make 911 less of an option
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I'd say that this scenario is why you don't clear your own house. If you know everyone's accounted for, bunker up and call 911.

+1.

Gun is out. We're both locked in the room. Cat is accounted for. Anything tries to compromise that door is begging for fireworks.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I'd say that this scenario is why you don't clear your own house. If you know everyone's accounted for, bunker up and call 911.
    Maybe, then again, I'm not necessarily stating it is clearly "...something." Maybe something wakes you enough to put you on alert, but not enought to know if it was just a dream, car, etc.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Since zombies don't move quickly, taking any shot without really knowing your target is reckless. So is going down the stairs without YOU being able to see where you're going. That means use your FLASHLIGHT or just light up the whole house! Since you eventually have to go into the rest of the house (5 minutes, an hour, the next morning...), going down the stairs is inevitable. Waiting for 911 might mean starving to death, depending upon where you are.

An old trick, if you don't have a house alarm, is to simply put some empty soda/beer/soup cans where they will be upset by any entry, like through a window or opening a door. It's a pretty safe bet that when it sounds like a recycling depot dumping its inventory, no burglar is going to continue.

Yes. I've heard all the arguments for not clearing one's own home, but i don't subscribe. Family stays behind, I chase BG out. At the point you describe, weapon is drawn, but cautious. Very few people have access to my home. I have a 'high security' master-keyed system for the house, which cannot be duplicated by the local locksmiths. Mother-In-Law is not going to be able to walk in at 0200.

I will ALWAYS confirm a target before firing. Unless I can determine a weapon pointed in my direction, I will not shoot, but will verbally warn of my status. I prefer to give the BG a warning, and a chance to correct their ways. Death is final, regardless of who's it is.

P.S. Note on master-keyed system. Although they're expensive, even if you get them at-cost, as I did, they're more than handy. My wife and I essentially have 3 keys on our key ring, her car, my truck, and our 'master' key. The master key gets us into all locks in the house, shed, both fence gates, and the padlock on the boat. Will re-key gunsafe when I can afford one for our keyway. Advantages - we have a deadbolt and cylindrical lock on all exterior doors. Deadbolts are 'normal' locks, with a keying we give out to friends/family. Cylindrical has a higher-security keying, which is for my wife, my 7-year-old son, and myself, locked at night, or when we need privacy from friends/family. Gates and shed have yet another key, also allowing for deadbolt keying, and boat has a completely separate key from those. All are on same master-key system. Son has key that will get him in the garage, and all door locks in the house. Wife and I have masters. The boat is separate so I can loan it out to friends and family, but they don't routinely have a key. And yes, we do use the system, as designed.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Maybe, then again, I'm not necessarily stating it is clearly "...something." Maybe something wakes you enough to put you on alert, but not enought to know if it was just a dream, car, etc.
    I see what you are saying. In my parent's house, the TV downstairs would randomly turn on at midnight every once in a while. Many times you could guess what the noise was, but sometimes it would be on a channel that was making weird noises.
    So in the OP's story, you hear the noise, think to yourself it is probably the stupid tv. Stumble out of bed with your gun and yes a flashlight. My parents house is built in that at the bottom of the stairs is the front entry way, with the main hallway to the living area at an acute angle to stairs. Hope that makes sense. Anyways say you are going down the stairs with flashlight, you reach the bottom and turn to your left and peak around the corner, now gazing down the hallway. The minute you do this, you see a man charging you. No time to raise flashlight or ask questions, do you fire or get pummeled? My personal answer is shoot away, mainly because the way it seems that I wrote this, no LEO would tackle you in your house.

VIP Member
    Something goes bump in the night. Your not sure what it is, could have just been a dream or a car driving by, but you are on alert. Assume castle doctrine jurisdiction. Everyone living in the home is accounted for. Maybe you have a flashlight, maybe you don't, maybe the house lights are on, etc. Lighting is not the issue.

Then a shadow, or something, (don't focus on the lighting factor) rushes you out of the corner of your eye. Maybe the lights are on, maybe they are not, thats not the issue. You have something coming at you fast.

Everyone living in the home is accounted for is the key to this situation (you physically verified everyone is accounted for). As long as you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it isn't a family member I would say shoot. If there is a chance it could be a family member then don't shoot until you have identified who it is.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Unless there are children or others I need to protect in other rooms, I would not attempt to clear my house. I would lock my wife and me in our bedroom with my handgun ready and call 911.

I think the BG has the advantage in the dark. He hears you and knows where you are, and you do not know where he is hiding. So if you lose, what happens to the others in the house?

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Moderator
    I'm not a big advocate of clearing your own home. It is true that as you go out you give the bad guy a HUGE advantage over you.

HOWEVER, if you call the police EVERY TIME you hear a bump in the night you are going to be the boy who called wolf.

I am an advocate of being the man in the middle.

If everyone is accounted for as the thread suggests then I'm sitting in the room and waiting. Eventually, if it is a bad guy, he's going to have to move. You have the advantage then of knowing the sounds of your house. Is there a stair that squeaks? Does the front or back door have a particular sound? Is there any evidence to say that someone is in the house? If there was a LONG gap in time (around 15-20 minutes) with no sound, then I would go looking for the source, gun ready.

Can't say whether or not I would instantly shoot. If lighting was a problem than I should be able to identify whether whatever it is that is rushing me is good or bad. Hard to say unless it happened.

You absolutely need to confirm first. What if the first bump was a fleeing felon breaking into your house, and the individual you see coming at you is a police officer pursuing him? What if in your sleepy state you may have thought you confirmed your children were in their rooms, but you were incorrect? What if this is some friend or relative who has a key and came over to your house in the middle of the night because of some emergency?

Be sure of your target!

I read your post, but haven't read any of the responses, as I don't want to be influenced by anyone before I answer this.

GO GET SOME TRAINING IN REGARDS TO THE LEGAL, ETHICAL AND MORAL ASPECT OF USING A FIREARM FOR SELF DEFESE!

After you do that come back here and ask that question, as you will already know the answer. Also, think of your 4 Rules of Gun Safety. I believe one of those rules is: "Be sure of your target and what is beyond it."
    OK, now let's play with your scenario. That unidentified "shadow" rushing towards you is your three year old that is running to you because you are "Daddy" and Daddy is supposed to comfort her when a bad dream scares her.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 11th, 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    You absolutely need to confirm first. What if the first bump was a fleeing felon breaking into your house, and the individual you see coming at you is a police officer pursuing him? What if in your sleepy state you may have thought you confirmed your children were in their rooms, but you were incorrect? What if this is some friend or relative who has a key and came over to your house in the middle of the night because of some emergency?

Be sure of your target!

An intruder breaking into my house, and a cop just slinking in right behind him?! That's about as likely as Sarah Palin dropping over to do shots of Tequila at 0200.

What if it's the child I never knew, who was conceived at a grateful Dead Concert in 1992? What if it's my ex-wife I have not talked with in 13 years? What if it's my best friend who lives 800 miles away, and doesn't have a key? What if it's ELVIS?!

What if I live alone, no child, no wife, no drunken moronic brother in law to stumble in after breaking in a door or window....

Nobody belongs here except me, and my football shaped cat.
    I can be sleepwalking, and I won't mistake my cat for a human shaped intruder.

Identifying a target does not mean asking for his driver's license, or exchanging recipes for cooking meth.

I live alone with no close relatives anything rushes me in my home is a threat and will be met with necessary force,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    An intruder breaking into my house, and a cop just slinking in right behind him?! That's about as likely as Sarah Palin dropping over to do shots of Tequila at 0200.

What if it's the child I never knew, who was conceived at a grateful Dead Concert in 1992? What if it's my ex-wife I have not talked with in 13 years? What if it's my best friend who lives 800 miles away, and doesn't have a key? What if it's ELVIS?!

What if I live alone, no child, no wife, no drunken moronic brother in law to stumble in after breaking in a door or window....

Nobody belongs here except me, and my football shaped cat.
    I can be sleepwalking, and I won't mistake my cat for a human shaped intruder.

Identifying a target does not mean asking for his driver's license, or exchanging recipes for cooking meth.
    Completely agree, I just wish I had your way with words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links