Do You Really Trust Anyone

This is a discussion on Do You Really Trust Anyone within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am Having a great wine at 20 til 8 in the evening in Townsville, Australia at the moment and After reading a thread about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Really Trust Anyone

I am Having a great wine at 20 til 8 in the evening in Townsville, Australia at the moment and After reading a thread about awareness and such, and about "The Sheeple" not really being aware of things in the most part, and not noticing our concealed carry, and reading about the "Military" aspect of our training, I am wondering about the trust we really have about "The People", everyday folks real or weird, everyday things. Which one is a Wacko or not? We don't know, what we don't know. Is my paranoia showing, or does this make my butt look big?

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

I used to think about that as well but using things like the OODA loop and the color code of awareness keep me tracking right most times. I find I quickly ratchet my "trust" down or up based on what I see and hear. Some risks are necessary. A good example is that your probably flew to AU and all those nervous folks in the airport and on the plane (not including the sky marshals and possible carrying pilots) did not do anything dangerous to you or the others. Although it could happen, it has not so far and to avoid it totally deprives us of a great bit of travel.

I don't really trust anyone. Can anyone read what's in a person's heart? I've seen people who have seemed totally reasonable otherwise suddenly say the strangest things and do the strangest things. It's said that the samurai in medieval Japan used to sleep with a sword by their side, even with their wife in bed beside them. Stay aware and stay vigilant is all I say, and keep doing those sanity checks on what's happening around you. Is the email really from the bank? Does my statement look correct? Is my boss acting too friendly these days? Why am I being asked to suddenly do this by this stranger? You get my drift.
    Last edited by Pinger; July 17th, 2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: grammar
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

There is no one person that I totally trust to any degree. I trust my immediate family more than other people. But to say that I totally trust any one person, nah, not really. I have to rely on my own basic survival instincts & judgement for my day to day survival.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 17th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Put not your trust in man........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Interesting topic. There are not many people I trust. But then again, it is difficult to really know someone on a deep level. Most people seem friendly and trustworthy when everything is going well. It's only when the SHTF that someone really "flies their true colors" (as I like to say).

Lots of folks trusted Bernie Madoff with their life's savings, and look where it got them. You gotta be extra cautious when dealing with people, 'cause you just never know.

IMHO, the first step is - maintain high ethics and morals for yourself.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Do what's right. Be polite and friendly to everyone you meet...and have a plan to kill them if need be. While you can be disappointed in a person for their behavior, you should never be surprised. The exception,perhaps is family. I have to trust the ones I love and if they perhaps turn on me, then perhaps I deserve it. I have to have faith...
    [B]"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them" - William Clayton[/B]

VIP Member
    Personally, I try my best to find peace in an uncertain world while watching my surroundings with caution. I won’t be so careful as to diminish my quality of life although I’m probably more skeptical than the average citizen. The thought of having to use deadly force does not at all appeal to me, but if I am confronted with no other option, then so be it.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I only trust my dog.............

All people are like animals- they may bite without "reason" or provocation. One need not be a twitching, spastic freak to be guarded and conscious of personal space.

Let me add this: learn to think like a predator. I had a conversation with a friend, local gunshop owner, about some alterations I'd recently completed on a rifle to make it more user-friendly. He looked at me with a blank expression for a moment, then said, "That's cool, I just don't think that way..."

Though I did not say it, my thought was, he'd better start. I could easily be inside his shop, after hours, within 20 minutes, with most, if not all, his inventory out in 90. Now, it isn't that I'm feloniously inclined, I just view the world through deconstructionist eyes.

Looking at the world from the perspective of, "How would I take what I want?", it filters unnecessary crap. If you were going to jack someone, how close would you want to be? Kidnapping, rape? Con them out of $20? Some people are horrified when hearing this. The simple truth is, they do not want to be able to identify hunting behaviors. If they did, they might be forced to concede that they are violating the Rule of Stupids, and are Doing Stupid Things, Assosciating with Stupid People, and going to Stupid Places. Changing might involve less personal amusement, and might hurt some friends feelings...

VIP Member
    Do I really trust anyone-- Only my wife, and my son. My dog is in there too, but since she only pretends to be human she doesn't count really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    All people are like animals- they may bite without "reason" or provocation. One need not be a twitching, spastic freak to be guarded and conscious of personal space.

Let me add this: learn to think like a predator. I had a conversation with a friend, local gunshop owner, about some alterations I'd recently completed on a rifle to make it more user-friendly. He looked at me with a blank expression for a moment, then said, "That's cool, I just don't think that way..."

Though I did not say it, my thought was, he'd better start. I could easily be inside his shop, after hours, within 20 minutes, with most, if not all, his inventory out in 90. Now, it isn't that I'm feloniously inclined, I just view the world through deconstructionist eyes.

Looking at the world from the perspective of, "How would I take what I want?", it filters unnecessary crap. If you were going to jack someone, how close would you want to be? Kidnapping, rape? Con them out of $20? Some people are horrified when hearing this. The simple truth is, they do not want to be able to identify hunting behaviors. If they did, they might be forced to concede that they are violating the Rule of Stupids, and are Doing Stupid Things, Assosciating with Stupid People, and going to Stupid Places. Changing might involve less personal amusement, and might hurt some friends feelings...
    Agree 100%

When our firm does a fraud examination we have to think, "how would I rip off this company". That's the only way to discover the fraud.

Same with defending yourself. If you don't have an idea of how you would attack someone, you will be behind the OODA loop when the bad stuff hits the fan.

Like Spurs06 said, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you come in contact with. Don't take this as some paranoid wacko statement. I truly believe that I will go through the remainder of my life without ever having to defend myself against a bad guy. I will do everything humanly possible to avoid hurting ANYONE, but I train and "have a plan" incase I am wrong.

I try to stay relaxed and aware. Enjoy life but be prepared.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    What is trust? I have people whom I trust, in that I know what their response would be to certain situations. Does this mean they would do exactly what I think is best, always? No...but I would know when I could ask, and there are a few people I could ask for a lot from. I suppose that is probably what you mean by trust.

I don't think there is ever anyone who will always do what YOU think is right.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I trust my brother with my life, and we have been in a SHTF situation to prove it. Other than him, and maybe my Cousin, not many others out there that I know would rise to the occasion.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Put not your trust in man........
    AMEN!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links