Defensive Carry banner

Do You Really Trust Anyone

3K views 41 replies 40 participants last post by  PNUT 
#1 ·
I am Having a great wine at 20 til 8 in the evening in Townsville, Australia at the moment and After reading a thread about awareness and such, and about "The Sheeple" not really being aware of things in the most part, and not noticing our concealed carry, and reading about the "Military" aspect of our training, I am wondering about the trust we really have about "The People", everyday folks real or weird, everyday things. Which one is a Wacko or not? We don't know, what we don't know. Is my paranoia showing, or does this make my butt look big?

Regards
Rick

#2 ·
I used to think about that as well but using things like the OODA loop and the color code of awareness keep me tracking right most times. I find I quickly ratchet my "trust" down or up based on what I see and hear. Some risks are necessary. A good example is that your probably flew to AU and all those nervous folks in the airport and on the plane (not including the sky marshals and possible carrying pilots) did not do anything dangerous to you or the others. Although it could happen, it has not so far and to avoid it totally deprives us of a great bit of travel.

#3 · (Edited)
I don't really trust anyone. Can anyone read what's in a person's heart? I've seen people who have seemed totally reasonable otherwise suddenly say the strangest things and do the strangest things. It's said that the samurai in medieval Japan used to sleep with a sword by their side, even with their wife in bed beside them. Stay aware and stay vigilant is all I say, and keep doing those sanity checks on what's happening around you. Is the email really from the bank? Does my statement look correct? Is my boss acting too friendly these days? Why am I being asked to suddenly do this by this stranger? You get my drift.

#4 · (Edited)
There is no one person that I totally trust to any degree. I trust my immediate family more than other people. But to say that I totally trust any one person, nah, not really. I have to rely on my own basic survival instincts & judgement for my day to day survival.

#23 ·
Agreed. I trust my family not to kill me on purpose. But, due to (most of them) their liberal and "it won't happen to me" sensibilities I have to plan and prepare for them also for whenever they are around me. I do have friends that I trust, not many and not easily. I've raised 4 kids and have Grandchildren and it still shocks most of the family, from my mother on down, at the way I see the world and the lunatics in it. I hate crowds. Stand back from a large crowd of people or preferably above them and watch. Watch long and closely, then think about trusting someone that you don't know well or at all. Someone else referred to it already, the way I saw it read, "Be courteous and polite but be firm and... have a plan to kill everyone you meet". Sounds extreme I know but some people really light up my radar. I'll do my best to avoid them but...

#6 ·
Interesting topic. There are not many people I trust. But then again, it is difficult to really know someone on a deep level. Most people seem friendly and trustworthy when everything is going well. It's only when the SHTF that someone really "flies their true colors" (as I like to say).

Lots of folks trusted Bernie Madoff with their life's savings, and look where it got them. You gotta be extra cautious when dealing with people, 'cause you just never know.

IMHO, the first step is - maintain high ethics and morals for yourself.

-

#7 ·
Do what's right. Be polite and friendly to everyone you meet...and have a plan to kill them if need be. While you can be disappointed in a person for their behavior, you should never be surprised. The exception,perhaps is family. I have to trust the ones I love and if they perhaps turn on me, then perhaps I deserve it. I have to have faith...

#8 ·
Personally, I try my best to find peace in an uncertain world while watching my surroundings with caution. I won’t be so careful as to diminish my quality of life although I’m probably more skeptical than the average citizen. The thought of having to use deadly force does not at all appeal to me, but if I am confronted with no other option, then so be it.
Regards,

#10 ·
All people are like animals- they may bite without "reason" or provocation. One need not be a twitching, spastic freak to be guarded and conscious of personal space.

Let me add this: learn to think like a predator. I had a conversation with a friend, local gunshop owner, about some alterations I'd recently completed on a rifle to make it more user-friendly. He looked at me with a blank expression for a moment, then said, "That's cool, I just don't think that way..."

Though I did not say it, my thought was, he'd better start. I could easily be inside his shop, after hours, within 20 minutes, with most, if not all, his inventory out in 90. Now, it isn't that I'm feloniously inclined, I just view the world through deconstructionist eyes.

Looking at the world from the perspective of, "How would I take what I want?", it filters unnecessary crap. If you were going to jack someone, how close would you want to be? Kidnapping, rape? Con them out of $20? Some people are horrified when hearing this. The simple truth is, they do not want to be able to identify hunting behaviors. If they did, they might be forced to concede that they are violating the Rule of Stupids, and are Doing Stupid Things, Assosciating with Stupid People, and going to Stupid Places. Changing might involve less personal amusement, and might hurt some friends feelings...

#12 ·
Agree 100%

When our firm does a fraud examination we have to think, "how would I rip off this company". That's the only way to discover the fraud.

Same with defending yourself. If you don't have an idea of how you would attack someone, you will be behind the OODA loop when the bad stuff hits the fan.

Like Spurs06 said, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you come in contact with. Don't take this as some paranoid wacko statement. I truly believe that I will go through the remainder of my life without ever having to defend myself against a bad guy. I will do everything humanly possible to avoid hurting ANYONE, but I train and "have a plan" incase I am wrong.

I try to stay relaxed and aware. Enjoy life but be prepared.

#11 ·
Do I really trust anyone-- Only my wife, and my son. My dog is in there too, but since she only pretends to be human she doesn't count really.

#13 ·
What is trust? I have people whom I trust, in that I know what their response would be to certain situations. Does this mean they would do exactly what I think is best, always? No...but I would know when I could ask, and there are a few people I could ask for a lot from. I suppose that is probably what you mean by trust.

I don't think there is ever anyone who will always do what YOU think is right.

#16 ·
I trust very few people with more than a nickle. I trust my Wife's thoughts and intents, but since I am larger and stronger, and have had more training I trust my own abilities above hers.

Here's another question, the flip side in a way. Not can you be trusted by others, but ARE you trusted by others? Thew answer may lead to the reason behind the OP's original question.

#17 ·
Here's another question, the flip side in a way. Not can you be trusted by others, but ARE you trusted by others? Thew answer may lead to the reason behind the OP's original question.
I would expect someone to make me proof my trustworthyness....is that a word?

#18 ·
Sorry boss, but there's only two men I trust. One of them's me. The other's not you.

#21 ·
I trust most everybody. I once thought I could tell by my keen judge-of-character, but over the years I've found that it wasn't so keen. I've been shown pastors who were scoundrels & convicts who were pure saints. Rather than everyone being suspect (or me being completely gullible) I've decided to trust all...until they SHOW me that I can't. It's a matter of character, theirs AND mine.

#22 ·
Who are you?
And why are you asking? :theyareontome:

There are several layers of trust if one is going to live in a society.

I trust most drivers to stay in their lane, observe traffic lights, etc.
To a point. I also drive defensively for those moments when someone does not do the above.

When I go out in public, I trust most folks not to attempt a violent confrontation. But, I practice SA for those few who may not live by that same code.

I trust politicians, as a rule, to do what's best for them and their cronies, not for me. In fact, I trust most people to do what they think is best for them and their loved ones/cronies, etc. If it so happens that what they then do benefits me, so be it. But, I don't count on it.

I trust Social Security will not pay me a dime when I hit the 'right' age. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I trust my family 100% to watch my back. They will not always make the decision I would make, but sometimes they make better decisions than I do.

I trust God. I don't always understand Him. That's okay with me.

#24 ·
The level of trust I have for people varies by degree, none is 100%.

I try to think like a predator in order to better comprehend my subject matter. Then I base my decisions on that while trying at all times to stay within the confines of the law and society's mores.

Most people don't want to talk about using your straight blade with a serrated edge to cut and rip a femoral artery and the surrounding muscle to incapacitate someone attempting to commit a violent act against you. That is not conversation for polite society I'm sorry to say.

The more I see, and learn, the more I want to be a Hermit.

Biker

#25 ·
Be polite and friendly to everyone you meet...and have a plan to kill them if need be.
I sorta like that. I know about 10 people I'd trust with my life. the rest are watched closely. I do confess I profile by dress and mannerisms when out and about. No one approaches me on the street. If it waddles, swims, flys and quacks - it's more probably it's a duck than an aardvark.

#27 ·
Guys I worked with while wearing various uniforms I trusted with my life on a daily basis. Do I trust the valet parking guy with my truck? Yes. Would I hook into a line he rigged and step off the side a of cliff without inspecting it myself? Not on your life.

#28 ·
I trust some folks 100%.
As a general rule I do trust the folks I run into not to be violent. It is always good to be aware of our surroundings, but I consider that if I were suspicious of everyone I would really be paranoid.

There are different types of trust. Few people would I trust to turn my bank account over to them, but more I would trust not to take my wallet.

I don't consider that anyone is "out to get me."

Regards,
Jerry

#29 ·
I trust my wife and my parents. If I can't trust them, then I don't really don't care about trust anymore. Trust my brother a bit more than others, and I guess my nephews and other brother. Maybe a few Uncles. Friends in a limited way. That is about it.

#30 ·
Ben Franklin said, "There are but 3 trusted friends in this life; an old wife, an old dog, and ready money."

#31 ·
I don't trust anyone, that's why one must always have a 'PLAN'...USMC #23, I believe?:yup::blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.