My spidy sense may be too sensitive

This is a discussion on My spidy sense may be too sensitive within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday for lunch I went to my local subway and since I was alone I was doing more people watching than I even do normally. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My spidy sense may be too sensitive

Yesterday for lunch I went to my local subway and since I was alone I was doing more people watching than I even do normally. About the time I finished eating I saw a black male about 17-19 years, 5'10", 190 lbs, wearing "nice" casual clothes old come in.

He looked nervous, was standing back about 3-4 feet from the tail of the sammich line, kept turning to look out the door. He wasn't amped up, just nervous, when it was his time in line he looked at the owner and said... "Can I have an application please?"

I knew something was right, which I give myself credit for but luckily it was nothing.

Thumbs up

Your sensitivity meter was spot-on. You realized the person was not simply layin' there like any other person. Was it being amped, hyper-aware, nervousness, fear of an action being contemplated, or ...

Good on ya, for paying attention and being prepared. His coloring/size/age doesn't much play into it, beyond him being young/strong and apparently "amped." You keyed on the nervousness, though you couldn't initially place it. Gavin de Becker's book talks a bit about this, noting the advance warning signs that can sometimes provide clues to a person's actions before they occur. Often, the tell-tale signs are there, if we simply pay attention.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Being aware of 'odd' situations, or nervous actions plays a big part in one's safety.
    You noticed something out of the ordinary, that most of the didn't. The fact that is was a job hunt rather than a robbery is good.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

good job, my Dad always said to pay attention to your spidey sense!

He was nervous about having to apply for a job and Mom was probably in a car in the parking lot making sure he applied or faced a whuppin'.

That's why he kept looking back towards the parking lot. She was there to make sure he really did apply for a job. It could've been Grandma too, as historically it's been an older female as the strong family leader.

Good job picking up on "something not quite right". Just because something is not right doesn't mean it's always death and danger. It's just something that bears watching.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    He was nervous about having to apply for a job and Mom was probably in a car in the parking lot making sure he applied or faced a whuppin'.

That's why he kept looking back towards the parking lot. She was there to make sure he really did apply for a job. It could've been Grandma too, as historically it's been an older female as the strong family leader.

Good job picking up on "something not quite right". Just because something is not right doesn't mean it's always death and danger. It's just something that bears watching.

Biker
    I was thinking the same thing - a family member enforcing a job app.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - a family member enforcing a job app.
    Me too... after he asked for the app.

Good job; what they said!!^^^^

good sa my friend.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Job application!

... so he was gonna rob the place

...at $7 an hour.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I don't think it is too sensitive, I think it's just right. Be happy with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just watched a show on TV the other day were a job applicant, after filling out the form, robbed the store.

DUH....... He even filled the form out correctly so.... all the PD had to do was go to his home an pick 'em up!

Good awareness, you never know, as we are reactive, not proactive in our safety mose times.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Yeah, good pick up on the out of the ordinary.

On a side note, I've worked with people who were only there because of family pressure. They were horrible workers, two made false job injury claims and three made up sexual harassment claims. Not a good idea to hire such people.

Maybe the kid couldn't find a parking spot so he left his car running ? Why assume he's being forced to get a job ?

Or........maybe he was going to rob the place, and his spidey sense told him you were armed, so his cover was to ask for an application and scoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links