Tricky situation last night how would you handle it?

This is a discussion on Tricky situation last night how would you handle it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am a volunteer that did HAM radio communications at the Seattle Seafare parade last night. We had a situation a couple blocks down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I am a volunteer that did HAM radio communications at the Seattle Seafare parade last night. We had a situation a couple blocks down from where I was that a man had shot someone and PD was slow to respond due to the crowds. In this situation I was not involved as I had my own post to maintain but in this situation what would you have done? I mean drawing in a crowd of people would just not be an option in my opinion to many possible unintended victims in range but yet you have a person with a gun who has already fired a round. It just made me think what would be the right thing to do if this had happened. Thanks for the input just glad it did not happen on my block.

VIP Member
    Don't know that there is much of anything you could do unless you had some opportunity to assist in dispersing the crowd to facilitate the police in their attempt to arrive on the scene, without arousing panic.

This may seem cold, but - as a CWP holder, you are NOT permitted/required to act as a LEO. You are only allowed to draw and shoot if you feel in imminent danger of loss of life or severe bodily injury. "Third party defense" IS allowed in certain situations, but it is a legalistic nightmare, and best avoided.

Much agreed Keltyke I am only stating had the shooter been in front of me as I have no desire to become a LEO in that situation its sort of a loose loose situation just thought it was a interesting scenario

in a crowd there is only two ways to limit the threat of a bystander being shot.
    a high angle shooting down, (looks too gangster to me), of a low angle shooting up. for this to work in a crowd the shooter would have to be very close and being very close would enable making the case of "in fear of your life". if he was over 20 feet away I would have to say take cover. NONE of the bystanders would help pay for your legal defense. This is especially true in Mayor Nichols neck of the woods. Sorry but you are all on your own. You had the chance to arm yourself prior to this happening. You chose not to.

my honest opnion.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Administrator
    Maintain your post and do the job you are supposed to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Maintain your post and do the job you are supposed to do.
    Beat me to it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Word of some shot from some blocks away has reached me. Would I have done anything in this "tricky" situation? I suggest there's not enough information on which to base any action at all.

Now, had I personally heard the shot, or if the shooter was actually targeting folks around me, that's something entirely different. At that point, it gets "tricky" and one has to begin to decide on things like cover, retreat, defense, witnessing, etc.

In your situation, though, ditto on the suggestions that you maintain your post and carry on. Communications are important, particularly if that sort of situation were to blow into something larger.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In any crowd, shooting for any reason other than to defend yourself or loved ones wouldn't be a very good idea.
    You are not a cop, and you might just be considered 'part of the problem' when police do arrive.

Stay armed...be a great witness...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Word of some shot from some blocks away has reached me. Would I have done anything in this "tricky" situation? I suggest there's not enough information on which to base any action at all.

Now, had I personally heard the shot, or if the shooter was actually targeting folks around me, that's something entirely different. At that point, it gets "tricky" and one has to begin to decide on things like cover, retreat, defense, witnessing, etc.

In your situation, though, ditto on the suggestions that you maintain your post and carry on. Communications are important, particularly if that sort of situation were to blow into something larger.
    I think you missed my point of had I been there at the shooting location and not where I was away from the situation....

Would require an "instant” evaluation of the shooter if you are there.....

A} Is this a 1 on 1 situating, the shootee is the one and only target, and not likely to be more victims, was a personal fight etc. Then NO, not worth endangering other by standers etc, be a good witness.

B} Is this a mass killing situation, deranged shooter or in this day and age, a terrorist attack either way going for mass casualties. Then YES, everyone in the area is a possible victim, including you and yours and the sooner the shooter is stopped the better, and danger to others in the crowd is warranted as there will be more casualties if you don't. Just like the argument against arming airline pilots that innocent passengers might get hurt in a shootout with hijackers; what is the alternative? Having armed fighters standing by to intercept and shoot the airliner down killing everyone.

Calls for quick decision making. When we choose to be sheepdogs we reject the simple life.
    Last edited by F350; July 26th, 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelin

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA19 View Post
    Much agreed Keltyke I am only stating had the shooter been in front of me as I have no desire to become a LEO in that situation its sort of a loose loose situation just thought it was a interesting scenario
    If you're already in it, and can't avoid the situation, I'm not sure I'd draw...not in a crowd anyway. If he's right in front of me in the mess of things I may consider deploying a knife in conjunction with a take-down but even then it could get real sticky legally.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Targeted killing", be a good witness.

"Mass killing", be a good shot.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA19 View Post
    I think you missed my point of had I been there at the shooting location and not where I was away from the situation....
    I must have misread.

Had you been there at the shooting location, as in it is unfolding before your eyes, that is completely different.

The dynamics of a situation like that are vast and can create numerous actions and reactions. I can't answer what you should do.

I can barely answer what I would do. I have learned that when I have been in a tight situation that my mental processing goes into an extreme overdrive. I have literally experienced the "slow motion" effect. Multiple times.

All I can say is, if you are in that situation, use that effect to your advantage. It is part of your natural survival instinct.

I hope that didn't sound to gecko45'ish.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You need to be sure of the facts even if it's happening in front of you. If it's a mass shooting that's pretty obvious. On the other hand what if the shot was fired legally in self defense? Best bet is like the others said, be a good witness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links