Situation over the Weekend

This is a discussion on Situation over the Weekend within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK this is my first ever Post on D/C. Ive been a frequent lurker and am absolutely thrilled about all of the information on this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situation over the Weekend

Situation over the Weekend

OK this is my first ever Post on D/C. Ive been a frequent lurker and am absolutely thrilled about all of the information on this site. A little background: 22, college student, No CCW yet but as soon as the funds are available it will be so. Remington 870 is my only gun so far. Any ways, this weekend I traveled to Ohio for some business and stayed with my friend for a couple of days. Shotgun stayed behind. He is currently not a gun owner. As we are engaging in some late night Video Gaming we hear a bunch noise coming from the apartment upstairs and figured it was a group drinking n such. Around 4 am we hear yelling outside of my friends window but attributed it to the party. BTW one of the residents of the apartment above him is a lady that is a friend of mine. Well the yelling got louder so I went into the living room away from the gaming to hear what was going on and heard that this group was in a big arguement. I distinctly heard the girl I know telling people to leave and them yelling back at her. So my friend and I decided to go outside to see what was happening and to see if she was ok. As soon as we get outside we hear "well it wont be that way if I go get my gun!" the individual who said this then heads towards a group of cars yelling the whole time. Now not knowing if he had one or not the groups dispands and I tell the girl to come in the house NOW! HE came back seconds later while were were still outside but just to get shirt that was on the lawn. I would have called the cops but a neighbor beat me to it and the guy never returned. We stay inside and observed the cos and the neighbor interaction and tended to the girl. Now if I had had my Shotgun would having it out with me as I had to get my friend in the house (she was intoxicated so i literally had to carry her in) or would that be considered brandishing? What would you have done in this event? Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know what the brandishing laws are in Ohio but introducing a gun into the mix is seldom a good Idea. It might be considered escalating the situation which in most states takes away your ability to claim self-defense should you need to do so. I know it is your friend but her being drunk and acting stupid is not your fault. Unless you thought her life was in danger of great bodily harm or death you are better off keeping your nose out of it and let the cops handle it. Tell her to get a new set of friends before one of them kills her.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I think what havegunjoe said pretty much nails it, try to avoid interactions of this kind with drunks.

A bounch of yelling and screaming 'youth'...lots of drinking, and you are outside with a shotgun...Mmmmm, now the cops show up, what do you think is going to happen?

I may have yelled out the window that the cops were already on the way...that's it. A friend who was 'intox', I may have hustled her inside without the use of a weapon (at least one not fully concealed).

I certainly would not have introduced the shottie...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know the laws in your state, but you wouldn't be justified in bringing out a shotgun unless you were in fear of your's or another's life (or "serious bodily injury").

It didn't appear so, since you went outside.

Now, carrying a shotgun here isn't against the law, but it is if it's presented in a threatening manner. Walking into an arguement from a residence while holding a shotgun would likely be interpreted that way.

A gun in the hand when going into a conflict will oft-times be interpreted as a threat, so it's a bad idea. If you had a handgun in a holster, either concealed or OC'd (in my state), then you'd likely be fine as long as you didn't put your hand on it in a threatening manner (unless you truly needed it).

If it were me in your situation (and I was afraid of serious conflict), only having a shotgun available, one of us would have stayed inside with the shotgun while the other went out to see if they could help (depending on just how good of a friend she really is), and the gaming friend would only stay behind if I trusted him completely to make correct decisions under that kind of stress. That's doubtful, at best.

Overall, I think you did fine with the circumstances presented. You're still alive and well, and you were able to take care of your friend(s) without a serious situation developing. Any small thing could have changed that in a heartbeat, so consider it all well done.

Daryl

Well as soon as I heard the gun comment, my thought was to get her away otherwise I wasnt going to get involved. But I could not let her just remain in that situation. I agree that its her fault for being in that mix but just as well Im sure many wouldnt leave her out to fend for herself. In my mind the shottie came into my mind when the guy yelled about the gun and went towards the car. If he had of returned with one especially before I hustled her inside it could have turned out bad.

But I could not let her just remain in that situation.
    She made her bed, let her lie in it.

If someone I knew pulled that crap, more power to them. They can get themselves out of that mess.

Biker

VIP Member
    I don't know the laws in Ohio on brandishing, but to introduce a gun into a situation with a bunch of drunks is asking for trouble. I wouldn't have even left the apartment. It wasn't your concern. If you want to do anything, call the police and let them handle it. As to the female friend, as BikerRN said, she made her bed, let her lay in it.

PM
    Taking the shotgun outside would be VERY bad idea --- they are drunk and think they are 10 foot tall and bullet (shot) proof and the gun in plain sight without cause (their having a gun visible) would in my thoughts making your case for Self Defense harder.

As for going out and grabing your drunk friend do what you need to do ---- sorry biker some times friends have to help friends out --- would you stop a friend who was drunk from driving? Same think only different in this case!!

As for going out and grabing your drunk friend do what you need to do ---- sorry biker some times friends have to help friends out --- would you stop a friend who was drunk from driving? Same think only different in this case!!
    Friend is a word that I don't use lightly.

To be considered a friend is to be someone I would die, go to prison, be maimed for. I most certainly wouldn't do any of that for a piece of tail that lives upstairs and gets drunk.

I do have people I would endure that for, and not all of them are in my family. In fact I can count them on one hand, as I feel it should be.

Biker

You are not a LEO. Call 911, cover and concealment (read: do NOT go outside) and wait for them to handle the call. Anything else is acting as a vigilante. Your friend is an adult and has the responsibility for her actions and safety, not you. Unless of course she is your significant other (family).

I very much appreciate the advice. Everyone
    Biker- I agree somewhat but my my personality wont allow me to let my friend come to harm. I call her my friend and no she isnt just a piece of tail.
    I only the apartment because their was no gun threat until I was already out there. Once it was I got her and got inside.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I agree that you should have remained inside and called the cops.
    The introduction of a gun would be considered an escalation of the situation, and you could be charged.

Such a friend is responsible for her associations, and you are neither a cop nor a knight in shining armor.

Make sure you get some good instruction on the law, and good sense. I would have to say that at this time you are not qualified to carry, even if you had a CHL.

Regards,
    Jerry

The introduction of any weapon to that scenareo would have been akin to throwing gasoline on a fire.
    olddogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Friend is a word that I don't use lightly.

To be considered a friend is to be someone I would die, go to prison, be maimed for. I most certainly wouldn't do any of that for a piece of tail that lives upstairs and gets drunk.

I do have people I would endure that for, and not all of them are in my family. In fact I can count them on one hand, as I feel it should be.

Biker
    That's an issue that folks generally don't agree on. How much risk, and who would we risk our safety for?

I have three sisters that are RN's. The youngest one, a few years back, was working at the hospital when a shot up van pulled into the ambulance entrance to the ER. People inside were bleeding, and the hospital staff was concerned about the safety of the patients. Two different shootings had taken place, each across a street in two different directions from the hospital.

Basically a gang war that might very well be carried into the hospital parking lot, with a definite risk of stray ammo going that way.

My youngest sister, being house supervisor on duty, was out in the parking lot to notify those coming in about the situation, so that if they really didn't have an emergency then they should probably leave. She was more worried about others than she was for herself, obviously. Her job was not to monitor the parking lot, but she took it upon herself to do so to whatever extent she could while still helping patients and running things inside.

She didn't do it to be a "hero", she just did it because it needed done.

There are few in this world I'd "give" my life for (my wife, my mother, and my sisters and brother; perhaps a friend or three, depending on the situation). There are many, many people in this world that I might "risk" it for. Soldiers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers do it every day, yet they're truly just people like the rest of us.

it's not in me to stand by and let harm come to someone I can help.

I don't ask others to agree, only to try to understand if they don't feel the same way.

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links