Direction of fire?

Direction of fire?

This is a discussion on Direction of fire? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We hear gushots at least once a month, often weekly. My associate and I have seen 9 drive by shootings so far. One problem is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direction of fire?

Direction of fire?

We hear gushots at least once a month, often weekly. My associate and I have seen 9 drive by shootings so far. One problem is identifying where the shots are coming from. We are generaly working indoors remodeling houses. When fire erupts it is hard to know if we should seek cover in the front or rear of the house. It would be helpful just knowing in which direction the gunfire is comming from and direction of travel of stray rounds. As often as we encounter this I have not learned how to id the location of the action. Screeching car tires has offered clues and thugs running around gives some indication but more often than not there is no visible activity in our line of sight. Any help out there?

Best regards, Lyndon

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    We hear gushots at least once a month, often weekly. My associate and I have seen 9 drive by shootings so far. One problem is identifying where the shots are coming from. We are generaly working indoors remodeling houses. When fire erupts it is hard to know if we should seek cover in the front or rear of the house. It would be helpful just knowing in which direction the gunfire is comming from and direction of travel of stray rounds. As often as we encounter this I have not learned how to id the location of the action. Screeching car tires has offered clues and thugs running around gives some indication but more often than not there is no visible activity in our line of sight. Any help out there?

Best regards, Lyndon
    Sorry, the only thing I got is "move."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I would find another area to work and live.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Sorry, the only thing I got is "move."
    Movement, prayer and screaming for MOMMY has kept soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines alive for years. I fail to see why it wouldn't work in your situation.

Biker

I have kinda the same situation where I live. Generally when the full auto starts, the echo will not let you pinpoint the location of the source. Since you know most of the times the hit is via drive-by, head to the side of the house farthest away from the street. You better be low crawling until you find some good cover (brick wall/book shelf full of books/etc). Hope it helps.

Edited to add.

You know, you guys could carry some plastic milk crates full of old phone books and line em up to act as a burm. Three or four should give you two some improvised cover to get behind on the prone position and afford you enough space to cover the main entrance. The bottom ones on the link should give you a good idea of how full they need to be.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

VIP Member
    Not sure how your going to be able to tell where the shots are coming from. I'd drop to the floor and crawl to the center of the house and put as many walls as possible between myself and any possible direction of fire.

Best indicator I know of is when the bullet zips past your head, you pretty much instantly know the direction it came from. But if it isn't close enough to hear the sonic boom, your best bet is just to get down behind as much cover as you can. Stay low, and start praying to whatever God you pray to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure how your going to be able to tell where the shots are coming from. I'd drop to the floor and crawl to the center of the house and put as many walls as possible between myself and any possible direction of fire.
    Other than finding a better 'work environment', your answer is found above.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

By the time you hear the shots the rounds have probably passed by your position,the best position is proned out,and low crawling to a low spot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

cj
    Even high-tech monitoring systems in violence-prone cities utilize multiple separated sensors to be able to accurately locate shots. You've got two which are relatively close together (your ears), so it's understandable to not know where the sounds are coming from.

Search for 'Shotspotter' for one such system.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    We hear gushots at least once a month, often weekly. My associate and I have seen 9 drive by shootings so far. One problem is identifying where the shots are coming from. We are generaly working indoors remodeling houses.
    Are you remodeling, or do you have a business cleaning up the aftermath of shootings? It sounds like it might be a pretty profitable deal if you can stand all the blood and guts!

If I am hearing that many shootings, I think I would be looking for a new home base real fast!

I would like to work in a different area, but I own and or manange 60+/- houses in most of which are in three of the highest murder rate zip codes of Kansas City Mo. After 25 years it has gotten steadily worse. With the economy likely to get worse it will aggravate things there all the more. My associates and I review tactics daily and keep a condition yellow+ mindset. I am use to it and practise "Urban Etiquite" regularly. Just always looking for the next edge that I can gain. CJ thanks for the lead!

Best regards, Lyndon

I think it comes down to only a few options;

1. You and your partners sell out.
    2. Invest in body armor
    3. Hire your own armed security

Tough situation
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

You do carry, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    You do carry, don't you?
    Do we ever!! Loaded for bear....hard to see the damn bear comin' sometimes
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links