I have learned the hard way to always carry

This is a discussion on I have learned the hard way to always carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being new to CCW (6 mo) I am becoming more comfortable carrying when Im away from the house. However, I have had two incidents that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have learned the hard way to always carry

I have learned the hard way to always carry

Being new to CCW (6 mo) I am becoming more comfortable carrying when Im away from the house.

However, I have had two incidents that I have not been carrying when I wished I would have.

The first time was when we were traveling in our RV, we had stopped at a rest stop to let the dogs do their business. While we were walking the dogs, I left my night hawg in the rv. When we were returning to the rv, a rough looking guy started walking toward us at a fast pace. My wife also noticed the situation and we both started walking back to the rv very fast. My son and daughter were in the rv and I told my wife that my wepon was in the rv. When we arrived at the rv, the guy was still walking toward us not saying a word. I tried to open the passenger door to get my wepon and found that I had locked the front doors, my wife knowing that I was un-armed had planned to open the back door of the rv and motion to my son to get my gun. The guy walked up to me and started questioning us about our full bread dog and that he was looking for a stud to breed to his dog. It turned out to be a non-event, but we were both scared.

The 2nd event happened outside of a quick mart. I planned to walk in for a pack of smokes. I was in a hurry and left my gun in the car. As I was leaving, a group of teens looking for no good were at the door making rude comment to customers. I quickly moved past them and got into the car. Again, scary situation that turned out to be a non-event.

I have learned that when I think that I wont need my gun, that seems to be the same time that I wish I had it.

I carry 100% at home and away

ed

2. Remove Ads

When I first started carrying,...I was rebuilding a front porch in "da hood" when a guy drove by slowly,... spraying an AK. I hit the floor and reached for my weapon (wouldn't have helped) and realized it was in my van. Crap...! It hasn't left my hip since.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Glad you shared your stories. But I have to ask, were you really scared?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It's good that you learned something ,however, you might need to relax a little...don't be so scared. Neither of those situations called for a weapon, not even close. I hope that you just meant for your peace of mind, not that you needed a weapon in either circumstance.

Murphy's Law dictates that things happen at the most inappropriate time...they usually do.
    It's hard to 'plan' for the exact time something bad may happen...always be prepared.

I carry any time I'm not at work (a high school). I can't even have it in the car while parked on the property (I wish at least that could be changed.) As soon as I arrive home I'm again armed...I worry about the trip to and from...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    It's good that you learned something ,however, you might need to relax a little...don't be so scared. Neither of those situations called for a weapon, not even close. I hope that you just meant for your peace of mind, not that you needed a weapon in either circumstance.
    I agree. You did not need a weapon in either of those situations. They do not prove you need to always carry, not that I would have any objections to that, but maybe it was well that you were not.

What would you have done if you had been carrying? I hope not to draw your weapon.

I consider rest stops more than average dangerous places unless there is security stationed there. Some have security, and some do not. In years past there have been at least two murders at the rest stop about 20 miles from my house. I recall it was a problem in FL at one time.

I always carry OC spray or foam even if I am armed.

Regards,
    Jerry

Aren't you glad you didn't pull a gun on the dog owner or the kids at the store? That would have been unpleasant and hard to explain to a LEO. However, you're certainly correct that it would have been less stressful if you had the gun on you both times. But remember the training about avoiding using it except in case of a true emergency.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When you think about it, crime victims are usually those who are unprepared and unable to defend themselves. Unlike you all, many don't get a second chance. To not carry is to simply be asking for it. I've been in the same boat.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Murphy's Law dictates that things happen at the most inappropriate time...they usually do.
    It's hard to 'plan' for the exact time something bad may happen...always be prepared.
    Is there any data, (or should a new thread be written), on the average concealed carry that folks Carry? I can envision running down to Lowes etc... and not carrying for one reason or another. I live in a relatively non crime area of North Port, Florida. Most of us will go through our lives and never have an incident. I have been through 55 of those with no incident. I don't stick my hand down a hole in the woods at night. I still feel better armed.

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

It seems my wording is causing some issues with the threads. The two situations I listed were not situations that I would have needed my gun. I listed the two showing when I do not carry, I seem to run into situations that I wish I had my gun just for peace of mind.

Some threads seem to think that I walk around scared and always thinking that I need a gun. I was trying to share these situations just to prove my point that If you choose when/where to carry, you are also choosing which times you will have your gun if needed.

I dont know anyone who can plan when they will need their gun for protection.

Great learning expierence glad everything was ok. Just shows you never know when/where something might happen.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I agree. You did not need a weapon in either of those situations. They do not prove you need to always carry, not that I would have any objections to that, but maybe it was well that you were not.
    I could NOT disagree more!!!!

When I go to the bathroom...I need my weapon
    When I eat cookies at grandmas house...I need my weapon
    When I mow my lawn...I need my weapon
    When I run to the store...I need my weapon

In none of these situations have I had my weapon drawn...but they were more natural with it concealed on my person! I know it is a bit of a play on words but my point is that I am more comfortable with my weapon on me...regaurdless of the situation. You had better believe that I would be in a higher state of alert if my weapon is not on me and the situation is not the norm. Of course there is a great way to help insure that level of comfort! ALWAYS CARRY, NEVER TELL! There is no one time that it is more important to carry, bad guys don't wait for bad situations to arrise before they carry out their crime...they create it and often it is to late to recognize the event!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by edwilloby View Post
    I dont know anyone who can plan when they will need their gun for protection.
    Sorry for the additional play on words (you typed your response as I typed my first one).

To answer the above stated question- I can tell when I need my weapon at my side...everytime and always. Sorry for the additional play on words and I DO get the point that you were trying to make.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Crime can happen anywhere we go. Criminals are as mobile as we are. Criminals are watching for opportunity, even if we aren't. Anytime, anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Glad you shared your stories. But I have to ask, were you really scared?
    The same thought as I read through them. I guess for some carried guns bring psychological comfort when made uncomfortable by unfamiliar surroundings.

I mean I'm all for 24/7 carry - I myself do - but I don't know any difference that would've been accomplished if you were armed in those particular situations.

Something else. If the guy you encountered while permitting your dogs to relieve themselves truly did have bad intentions, you probably encouraged it by not turning and meeting him head on to stop the pursuit, let him know you know he's there, and to communicate that you are prepared to do what you need to protect yourself. Instead, in the process of silently high tailing it back to your RV, you inadvertently showed him the way to the rest of your family and through non-verbal means, communicated that you weren't interested in a confrontation. That's just how the bad guys like it. Not really a criticism, just something to think about for future reference.

INTERVIEW:

This is where the criminal decides if you are safe to attack.

Yes, with all violence, the assailant's safety is a critical factor in deciding whether or not to attack. If a criminal was truly mentally ill, he would feel compelled to act, even if there was no chance whatsoever of success. If someone is so emotionally outraged that he were truly "out of control" he would not hesitate to physically assault ten Hells Angels. The fact that he doesn't indicates that there is still a part of them that is calculating risk to themselves.

"Can I get away with it?" is a major motivation for what people decide to do -- or not do. Hence, the interview.

This is one interview you want to fail. If you fail, the assailant decides that he cannot successfully, or easily, attack you. Then if he is a criminal, he will proceed to seek easier prey. In the case of an emotionally upset individual, he will change tactics. For example instead of physically assaulting you he will proceed to stand back and proceed to verbally abuse you. This allows him to 'win' without putting himself at physical risk.

There are five basic types of interviews. The one a criminal uses depends more on his personal style than anything else.
    (5) Silent A silent interview is when a criminal puts himself in a position to observe you. He may never speak until the attack, but he has been watching all along. He may position himself out of sight in a parking structure and follow you. Or he may make his presence known and decide to attack if you show fear of his presence.

Criminal Interview
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links