Clearing a hotel rooom with your weapon unholstered

This is a discussion on Clearing a hotel rooom with your weapon unholstered within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a follow-on to the guy on the concealed carry issues forum who stated he heard a noise in his hotel room when he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a follow-on to the guy on the concealed carry issues forum who stated he heard a noise in his hotel room when he unlocked and opened the door, so he pulled out his pistol and "cleared" the room only to find his wife had left on the television. About a month ago, another gent posted that he always entered any hotel room with his gun drawn.

I cannot see anything but looming disaster with such a scenario. Who could possibly be in your hotel room?

1. Another guest as there was a mix-up at the front desk and your room is already occupied.

2. A hotel employee: maid, engineer, manager, or guy who refills the mini-bar.

3. Thief - either an employee thief or non-employee thief.

4. Deranged psycho killer.

Only in the case of what's-behind-door-number-4 would you need your handgun, and even then the guy has the drop on you because he obviously heard you open the door. It's already a lose-lose situation.

If you go in with a weapon drawn, as a minimum, you'll scare the living crap out of the first three contestants. At worst, you are surprised, grab the trigger, and shoot some harmless mook.

As the guy in the ccw thread stated, he was sensitive to the fact he had stashed his wife's jewelry in a water-tight container in the toilet tank. OK. So what if you are "clearing" your room and actually confront a thief fishing in the toilet or rifling your luggage? You're now standing there with your handgun confronting a crook. You certainly must not shoot some feckless loser just trying to rip you off. You are not allowed to legally detain him at gunpoint.

What's the likelihood a thief will wait for you to confront him, then pull out a deadly weapon? I say that's a nearly non-existent probability. If they aren't going to let you live if you catch them, you'd most likely already be dead.

I am wondering what possible personal security threat would make someone unholster when entering a hotel room. I cannot imagine doing that for any reason. Too many bad things can happen, and only in some infinitesimally-probable event would you be both ready and able to use your weapon.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 29th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    On the other hand, if one gets one's Gecko stuff out of one's system in empty hotel rooms, it's likely to be a safer world.

Nevermind. Good analysis - you sold me.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Ditto. Being prepared for a situation to unfold is one thing, to draw or defend if needed. But, coming in with weapon drawn as if it's known to be filled with threatening beasts dramatically raises the risks in every situation except "door #4."

IMO, entering cautiously with awareness, having the strong arm free and checking each room is fine. Beyond that, clearing leather doesn't seem to be warranted until a threat is perceived and identified.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I agree, we are not Rambo's.

However, if you really feel that there is a threat in your room, why enter? Why not back off, and control the room from the hallway? 99% oof hotel rooms are small enough to do so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am one of the ones mentioned above. I feel that this topic has certainly been covered well enough.

I will continue to check out my hotel rooms and those of my clients with my weapon drawn...I feel it is good safe procedure and this is what I am paid to do (although not when I am alone, then it is 1/2 habit). This is my procedure- Knock on door and wait for answer for about 5 seconds. Insert key and open door with hand on weapon. Upon entering, draw weapon and have at low ready. I always say "hello?" as I enter and then proceed to listen, observe and check out the room. This is how I do it for my security and the security of my clients when traveling with them....

This is MY procedure and it has yet to produce negative results...it has however gotten me more work, as clients have noticed. And I do likes happy clients who keep me on retainer and pay their bills!

I have probably said to much but let's be warry of why others do what they do. Sometimes the difference between paranoia and preparedness is subtle.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I will continue to check out my hotel rooms and those of my clients with my weapon drawn...I feel it is good safe procedure and this is what I am paid to do ...
    Paid security detail is something entirely beyond the norm. In that scenario, it's absolutely one's duty and responsibility to do exactly what you're suggesting.

I'm willing to bet that most folks didn't make that distinction when commenting in those other threads, instead replying from the viewpoint of a citizen going about his/her business and having to decide when entering a room with drawn weapon is warranted. (Myself included, as I didn't understand you were paid security, with honor-bound duty to protect your client(s) to the degree you're able.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gee - you caught me. You're the exception - a paid personal security ninja. Hey, if your employers are people who are the targets of stalkers and killers and you're paid to clear the presidential suite at the Bellagio for guys like Bernie Madoff, Rocco Corleone, or Davd Letterman, of course that's a different scenario.

It might help the discussion if you roll out those minor caveats. Sheesh. I suppose we could have a poster chime in that he shot a guy charging his vehicle last week, and we'd get all hot and sweaty discussing pros and cons for a week until he decides to drop the tidbit that he wears a uniform and is currently working in rural Afghanistan.

But if you're posting here telling the general DC community that you sweep your hotel room with an unholstered gun every time, you just might want to make it clear that you do it for a living - and on behalf of someone else. Most of us don't, Johnny Ringo.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Gee - you caught me. You're the exception - a paid personal security ninja. Hey, if your employers are people who are the targets of stalkers and killers and you're paid to clear their presidential suite at the Bellagio, of course that's a different scenario.

It might help the discussion if you roll out those minor caveats. Sheesh. I suppose we cold have a poster chime in that he shot a guy charging his vehicle last week, and we'd get all hot a sweaty discussing pros and cons for a week when he decides to tell us he wears a uniform and is currently working rural Afghanistan.

But if you're posting here telling the general DC community that you sweep your hotel room with an unholstered gun every time, you just might want to make it clear that you do it for a living - and on behalf of someone else. Most of us don't, Johnny Ringo.
    Did you read my entire post? I clear hotel rooms in that fasion even when I am NOT being paid to do so. I know that the paid situation is entirely different and do not expect it to be so...

I'll admit that I kinda played chess a bit here and anticipated this type of response...this is what I feel. Is the situation that different when you enter a new area of personal dwelling vs. when my client does. To a point...NO. There is a reason they hired me (ussually due to them not having enough effective ways to display their wealth). BUT, there is still reason enough for ME to clear my hotel room for my safety and the safety of my family.

It is this train of thought that leads me to enter my home ahead of my family. Have I ever had an issue? No. Might I? I pray not. Will I be prepared? Absolutly! This is NOT my demeanor That is not how I enter a room. But neither is this I have been in the situation of letting my guard slip due to lack of sleep and the like...I hate that feeling and I thank the Lord that nothing major has happened (although I did have to draw my weapon recently due to late night stupidity).

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    Did you read my entire post? I clear hotel rooms in that fasion even when I am NOT being paid to do so.
    You remind me of that scene in the move Big Jake where the eponymous character played by John Wayne rides into the enemy camp and spots bad guys everywhere with dozens of guns pointing at him and calmly remarks, "You must think I'm a mighty dangerous man."

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You remind me of that scene in the move Big Jake where the eponymous character played by John Wayne rides into the enemy camp and spots bad guys everywhere with dozens of guns pointing at him and calmly remarks, "You must think I'm a mighty dangerous man."
    I love it! John Waynes persona is about the farthest from what anyone who knows me thinks that I am like. I have been called a nerd, a teddy bear, lurch, unnasuming and even late for supper but I have never been likened to the likes of Mr. Wayne before...thank you!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

However, if you really feel that there is a threat in your room, why enter? Why not back off, and control the room from the hallway? 99% oof hotel rooms are small enough to do so.
    +1...if I sensed danger, I doubt I'd even go in. To me, that's like the "clearing your house in a break in" threads. I understand being ready for any eventuality, but why seek that out?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    +1...if I sensed danger, I doubt I'd even go in. To me, that's like the "clearing your house in a break in" threads. I understand being ready for any eventuality, but why seek that out?
    Absolutely, avoid those threatening situations whenever possible. I don't clear my home or hotel room but I do knock on the door of porta-johns.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I try to stay away from Motel 8's...

We just took a trip to the North Country. On the way up and back we stayed in motels (Radisson) that had indoor hallways only...that cuts down on the 'danger' a bit. I guess if you just had to be 'extra' ready for trouble, one could have on a jacket and have one's hand on a revolver. I just had my normal Kimber tucked away as usual and entered the room slowly. (I let the wife enter first to draw fire...)
    Drawing a gun as you enter the room would probably not be taken well by the others in the hallway checking into their rooms.

By the way, I don't enter gas stations, banks, and pharmacies with my gun drawn either...and those places can be dangerous too.

Stay armed...be very alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Just wonder what the crime statistics are on a guest entering their hotel/motel and being met by a BG in waiting. Must be pretty high for someone to feel it is necessary to enter with weapon drawn.

I'm thinking you may want to consider high class establishments to stay in.
    NRA Life Member

Madmac and Nosight . . . thank you! You should have your own show. You made my day, I'm still laughing at your repartee . . . I love it!
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links