This happened to me...

This is a discussion on This happened to me... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several years ago, I was returning home from a trip out shooting. I had a SA revolver with me. As I drove up to the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This happened to me...

This happened to me...

Several years ago, I was returning home from a trip out shooting. I had a SA revolver with me.

As I drove up to the house, I noticed a light on inside. I had a touch-base lamp that would sometimes come on by itself, so I wasn't too concerned...until I noticed that the light was coming from another area of the house, rather than from the living room where the lamp was.

I parked away from the house a bit, and took the revolver with me. At this point, I really felt that I might have left a light on when I'd left earlier, so I still wasn't on high alert; I was cautious though.

I quietly slipped the key in the lock, and then turned and opened the door with one quick movement.

And I noticed a thin man running from my kitchen into the bedroom, but it was too dark to see whether he had a gun or not.

But, I had several firearms in a guncase that was not the best for security, so the first thought that went through my mind was to stop the perp before he got his hands on one of them, if he hadn't already.

I now store my firearms in a gun safe, so that's no longer an issue.

For informational purposes, Arizona law states that deadly force is justified if a reasonable person would be in fear of their life, or the life of another, or of serious bodily injury to them or another.

To the extent immediately necessary to stop the threat.

It also states that deadly force is justified to stop certain serious felonies in progress, to the extent immediately necessary to stop that crime, and burglary is one of them.

Before I state my own actions, what would you do at that point?

Daryl

2. Remove Ads

Okay, I know that most will say leave vacinity, get description, call 911 and so on, but it my house, my stuff being violated. Not sure what I'd do. It's one of those things that really has to happen to you before you really know.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Yeah it would be a tough call I would have a hard time walking away.

He already may have one of your weapons. If he has, he is a immediate imminent threat to society. In my state burglary is a forcible felony.

I discharge.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Okay, I know that most will say leave vacinity, get description, call 911 and so on, but it my house, my stuff being violated. Not sure what I'd do. It's one of those things that really has to happen to you before you really know.
    Ditto
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

DM2
    I think this would be a tough call for a lot of people based on the comments I have read here. But, for me, if I was safe on the outside, I would probably lock him (and possibly others) in the house (you need a key to get out of my doors), call the police and attempt to make note of anything that was not normal for my neighborhood (i.e. cars, possible lookouts, etc.). I'd also go to the neighbors and solicit more eyes to be good witnesses too.

Yes, everything in my house is mine and I don't want it violated any more than the next person. But, I'm safe and the house and contents are insured and replaceable. End of story until the cops get there. In this scenario, I'd probably also tell the cops that the invader(s) have access to guns in my house. Where I live, that's probably the only thing that will get them there in a hurry other than "shots fired" or "officer down".
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    indeed. well played suh!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I think this would be a tough call for a lot of people based on the comments I have read here. But, for me, if I was safe on the outside, I would probably lock him (and possibly others) in the house (you need a key to get out of my doors), call the police and attempt to make note of anything that was not normal for my neighborhood (i.e. cars, possible lookouts, etc.). I'd also go to the neighbors and solicit more eyes to be good witnesses too.

Yes, everything in my house is mine and I don't want it violated any more than the next person. But, I'm safe and the house and contents are insured and replaceable. End of story until the cops get there. In this scenario, I'd probably also tell the cops that the invader(s) have access to guns in my house. Where I live, that's probably the only thing that will get them there in a hurry other than "shots fired" or "officer down".
    Absolute no brainer. Shut the door with any presence of mind. Get back in the truck.
    Drive to the nearest phone if you don't have a cell phone. Or drive to the fist point of safety or point that you may be able to identify the perp on his way out on foot or the traffic junction he is most likely to pass.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Everything in the house is covered by insurance and/or can be replaced. No point risking your life for any of it. I think a reasonable person would say that you should call the police and not enter the house at all if anything appears amiss. Depending on state law, you may or may not have the right to defend personal property. But, again, is any of it worth your life?

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    If I knew my wife wasn't home, I'd probably call 911 and observe from the street. NOTHING in my house is worth potentially dying for. If she was home though, he'd better be ready for a confrontation that would be quick and as violent and mean as I could possibly generate.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

+1 to pcon's comment.

In addition, you have what may be an armed perp, since
    you are not sure where your firearms are.
    Worth dying for? Not me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'd take cover, call 911.
    No sense shooting the guy over stuff.

In actuality, if this were my house I'd probably have to get the dog loose from around his neck first. If he killed the dog, then I can't say what I'd do.

I would say if no one you know was in the house it would be best to back up, find a defensive position outside the house where you can observe comings and goings and call police. You never know how many people are involved and if they are waiting to ambush you.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I'd take cover, call 911.
    No sense shooting the guy over stuff.

In actuality, if this were my house I'd probably have to get the dog loose from around his neck first. If he killed the dog, then I can't say what I'd do.
    This is exactly what's wrong with this country...I say, the dirtbag entered my home, now he should become (as Ted would say...) a dead offender.

Now I use the term 'dead offender' lightly here, I really only want to defend myself because I fear for my life, that's it, I fear for my life...yeah, yeah, that the story, I fear for my life (actually I would, anyone would).

Decades ago stealing one's horse was a hanging offense, and it was done after a fair trial...then a fair hanging, now-a-days, the horse thief could sue you because he hurt himself riding your horse until it fell...breaking his arm...

I have develop a very limited tolerance to the scumbags that roam the earth stealing and killing at will...there needs to be a 'cleansing' of society (Texas style) before these 02 thieves begin to think about the possibilities of their actions.

Perhaps one day I'll share how I really feel.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    T

Decades ago stealing one's horse was a hanging offense, and it was done after a fair trial...then a fair hanging, now-a-days, the horse thief could sue you because he hurt himself riding your horse until it fell...breaking his arm...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    Hell now-a-days the horse could sue you for not providing adequate protection. Not to mention what the horse's union would do.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links