Eventful Morning, 2 SA events

This is a discussion on Eventful Morning, 2 SA events within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My usual plan of late has me trolling for jobs in the morning, then off to the gym. (thankfully I paid for that before I ...

Thread: Eventful Morning, 2 SA events

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

My usual plan of late has me trolling for jobs in the morning, then off to the gym. (thankfully I paid for that before I was laid off)

On the way I stopped at Wally world for dog food. On the way out, I noticed two young guys scrambling into a tree on the edge of the lot. This reminded me of a thread here a bit ago about this being a possible new MO to attack/rob folks in the lots. (that was a good reminder to always include "up" in your scanning).

Luckily, nobody was parked near enough to them yet to be crossing their path, so rather than confront them I walked back in and asked to speak to loss prevention. The guy "got it" immediately and radioed his partner to call PD while he headed outside.

That was GOOD.
    Not so good was what happened at the gym:

I was upstairs walking/jogging the circular track. 2nd floor, one stairway.No other exit except over the rail and drop to the (empty) basketball court.
    I had been at it for awhile, and was getting pretty tired. I had also just lifted weights, so I was pretty done in.
    As I was at the far side of the track, I noticed someone enter and pause at the door. The pause must have set off the spidey senses, because I looked up as I rounded the corner and saw a guy so big he was filing the doorway. Now, I'm huge, but this guy dwarfed me.
    He stood there scanning, looking mucho irritated and wearing street cloths, not workout gear.
    After my momentary internal "uh oh". I looked at him directly, gave him the "I'm not intimidated" slow nod. and stopped where I was pretending to fiddle with my music player, so as not to cross his path.
    He scanned again, looked over the rail, and turnd and left, never saying a word.

As soon I was sure he cleared the stairway I went down to the desk and asked to speak to a manager in case this guy was some nut job maybe looking a specific target, or worse, a random target for something.

The girl looked at me like I had 3 heads, and tried to blow me off saying "It's probably just someone looking for their wife"
    I again, tried to explain why it just didn't seem right, and was worth investigating, but again was blown off. "That kind of thing doesn't happen here".

Anyway, lesson learned: As soon as I can afford it again, a pocket gun is in my future. I'm good with H2H, but tired, fatigued, one exit and a size disparity...
    Not sure that would have been pretty.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

A can of oc spray and a good light or kubatan can also do wonders.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Here is a great example of a place that wearing a Kimber or a Glock doesn't work so well, but my KelTec P-3AT easily tucks into my gym shorts against my kidney...IWB/SOB.

Stay armed...stay aware prevents problems...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

even with a P3at in your shorts pocket, you will be pulling up your shorts alot! And if you are jogging, your shorts could be down around your knees after abt 4 steps..find a way to secure your britches while at the gym and make sure your little pistol doesnt fall out while laying on a weight bench. You will be doing some research and trial and error work it looks like. Good luck.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    As soon I was sure he cleared the stairway I went down to the desk and asked to speak to a manager in case this guy was some nut job maybe looking a specific target, or worse, a random target for something.

The girl looked at me like I had 3 heads, and tried to blow me off saying "It's probably just someone looking for their wife"
    I again, tried to explain why it just didn't seem right, and was worth investigating, but again was blown off. "That kind of thing doesn't happen here".
    I wonder if she has watched the news about the LA Fitness shooting in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    I wonder if she has watched the news about the LA Fitness shooting in PA?
    I was thinking the same thing. I'll bet that manager you talked to that blew you off will be a little more receptive now!

Sponsored Links