Ready to be shot??

Ready to be shot??

This is a discussion on Ready to be shot?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I've started thinking. If you CC and god forbid have to shoot, the BG shoots back before going down, and you get hit. Have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to be shot??

Ready to be shot??

Ok I've started thinking. If you CC and god forbid have to shoot, the BG shoots back before going down, and you get hit. Have you prepared for it??
    Do you carry Quikclot, a compression bandage, or a trauma pad in your vehicle/at home? I'm just trying to figure out what to do till an ambulance arrives, having never been shot. I'd like some ideas. Thanks.

Direct pressure on the wound. Quikclot isn't always the best idea, its rather limited in its uses actually. Basically your biggest threat is an arterial bleed, so you need to stop that as soon as possible. Some military style bandages that can be used for several different types of wounds would probably be your best bet IMO, but I am not a medical professional, i just have a bit of education and training on the subject.

I also keep a decent first aid kit in my truck, just in case I ever need it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I try NOT to think about it, given that my cancer and treatment whack my platelets down, plus I'm on Coumadin to prevent clots--if I don't hit the BG but get hit, I'll drown the SOB in blood....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Whatever happens, happens.

Haven't given much thought to getting shot.
    I try to consentrate more on not getting into a shootout.

I'm not a cop, so I don't have to face every day with the possibility of being 'called' to an 'event'.

Stuff does happen, so I try to train, read, practice being alert and knowledgeable of crime in the area. Anything can happen, any time, and any place, but I have learned to look for trouble and plan ahead.

Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If you ever do get shot, aside from first aid, remember one very important thing... you do not have to die!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

IMO, I don't think you should necessarily carry and and not be at least First Responder certified, or possess some BLS skills. (or at leat be cpr certified, I think if you trained to take a life, train to save one too, you know what I mean) I'm a paramedic and, really, the most important thing, or rather, the most definitive thing you need is surgery. Unless you want to start an IV, carry IV fluids with you at all times, can tie a tourniquet to yourself or pleurally decompress yourself, beyond basic bleeding control techniques (direct pressure, elevation, pressure points) there is little you can do. Get to a hospital, preferably a level one or two trauma center.

Youtube has an interesting video on Quikclot and there are reports it does wonders in bleeding situations. We don't use it in my district because there's not exactly a high frequency of solely arterial bleeding injuries...usually the person bleeds out and has massive trauma from something like an MVC...quikclot doens't help when you have a ruptured spleen. But if you take a shot in the leg and it nicks an artery, I could honestly see it saving your life. I've advised my dad to take it with him hunting.

But if you do get shot, my advice, keep your hand on your gun and your gun on the target, empty the clip, then worry about the wound....

Or just don't get shot. Worked for Wyatt Earp I heard....

VIP Member
    Heck, as a private citizen I figure my chances of being involved in a shooting are fairly slim. As such, I’m not too concerned with being super prepared if I’m injured. Even if I had a bandage, it would have to be a fairly pristine scenario whereby I would have retained my motor skills to apply it.
    "Some will live and some will die" General Howard G. Moore
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Just buy a few of the big, thick female pads. It's the cheap version of a bulky dressing. Seriously. If your that worried. Will you be convieniently near the car when you get hit or carry this? My only practice for the chance of getting shot is keeping my weak arm over my chest when I shoot one handed. Keep your arm in front of the vitals to slow or deflect the bullet. And draw both arms back into the chest to the ready position when you are done for the same reason.

Depending upon where you get shot, a prayer may be in order.

Often, people don't even realize they have been shot at first. Some people have driven home and showed up at hospital the next day saying " I think I was shot last night". Others, well... the ambulance doesn't do them any good.

That to me is what everyone needs to understand, the BG may win... try to make sure he doesn't......

Senior Moderator
    In one of our defensive pistol classes this subject was brought up.

In your average urban areas where you would get into a defensive shooting your medical response times are going to be decent.

An adult human being can loose about 4-5 pints of blood before loosing consciousness. That's a LOT of blood.

The "theme" of our instructor's lesson was, "if you are aware enough to realize you have gotten shot and need medical attention, you will most likely (not always) still be alive when aid arrives." Shots or blows that are going to be fatal tend to happen rather quickly and leave you dead before you really even have time to really realize that you've been that severely hurt.

There are countless stories of soldiers being unaware of bullet wounds until the firefight has ended. Adrenaline has a funny way of dulling all but the essentials.

That being said I have a rudimentary knowledge of basic first aid including some knife wounds. I would like to learn more.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I'm a former medic, and HAVE been shot (prefer not to go into detail). I agree with Blake, the medic above, regarding getting some training. The knowledge is portable, and takes no space to carry!
    Aside from a kit in the car, and a smaller kit on the bike I don't carry any supplies. I already tote around enough crap!
    If I carried supplies for every maybe situation I could run into I'd need a wagon to tote it all.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Just buy a few of the big, thick female pads. It's the cheap version of a bulky dressing. Seriously. If your that worried. Will you be convieniently near the car when you get hit or carry this? My only practice for the chance of getting shot is keeping my weak arm over my chest when I shoot one handed. Keep your arm in front of the vitals to slow or deflect the bullet. And draw both arms back into the chest to the ready position when you are done for the same reason.
    Lack of serious consideration of the question is the only reason I can see for this response. 'Keep your arm in front of the vitals to slow or deflect/..." ?!! No disrepect, but it is clear that you're either kidding or dim. Unless you've got Wonder Woman's magic bracelets to do this deflecting, you're just as badly hurt as...well...the guy who uses Wonderbread for body armor.

The original poster had a very good question, and when the defacation hits the oscillated ventilation, it may be something you wish you had actually taken the time to consider. No matter what, spindly links of bone and flesh won't do much to save your butt, and after having your arm then vitals torn apart, it may be a great time to wish you had Quickclot...or at least a buddy who has a better idea that 'putting your arm in the way of a bullet' as a solution.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Having carried a gun in one form or another since I was 18 years old, I've always accepted the fact that one day I may need to shoot someone or someone may shoot me. However, I've never dewelled on either factor. Carrying as a private citizen I tend to concentrate more on how to keep from using my gun, thereby relieving both posibilities.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I purchased a few large wound bandages and have been considering buying some quick clot.

Quote Originally Posted by tougeep3 View Post
    Ok I've started thinking. If you CC and god forbid have to shoot, the BG shoots back before going down, and you get hit. Have you prepared for it??
    Do you carry Quikclot, a compression bandage, or a trauma pad in your vehicle/at home? I'm just trying to figure out what to do till an ambulance arrives, having never been shot. I'd like some ideas. Thanks.
    I have a friend that has been shot three times, in three different gunfights.

The element that has kept him alive is that he never quits and takes the fight to the badguy. In short, the short bugger is one mean guy when you shoot him. He figures that if he's going to die he will take someone with him.

I've talked certain scenarios over with my wife. If I am off duty and we are together and I tell her to "Get Small" it's code for, plan on being a widow, as I'm coming up shooting and the odds are greatly against me. I will use what tactics and methods I know to prolong my demise so that she may get to safety and use my injury or death to prevent same from coming to her.

Have I thought about death, dying and injury. Yes, probably more than most. I don't feel that my preparations for such are fit for discussion on a public forum, but I will say that I don't carry Quick Clot. Maxi-Pads are better in the immediate aftermath IME and opinion.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links