Called the Police Last Night... - Page 2

Called the Police Last Night...

This is a discussion on Called the Police Last Night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like being alert prevented you from 'being a victim'. Smart dog. A 100 lumen SureFire can light up the night. Stay armed...staying alert makes ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Called the Police Last Night...

Sounds like being alert prevented you from 'being a victim'.
    Smart dog.
    A 100 lumen SureFire can light up the night.

Stay armed...staying alert makes a big difference...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This was proof that carrying a gun, and being prepared to use it, helps to reduce crime.
    Absolute proof.

The dog did pretty well, too. Steak tonight!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't know what type of flashlight you are carrying, and I love my Surefire, but when walking the pooch you may want to consider a Maglight. If you had gotten jumped it makes a pretty good defensive tool/bludgeon.

Biker
    Biker-
    Off topic, but question about your comment. I got one of those 4 "D" battery Maglights for Christmas. I get the fact I could knock someone silly with it, but it is a terrible flashlight. The plastic ones you buy for $4 give you better light. You can dial the Maglight wide or narrow, but it always seems like it has a blind spot in the center of the lens.

Thoughts?

you avoided being a victim .... GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

Good that you also reported it...... maybe you also helped convince 2 officers that carrying by citizens may not be a bad idea afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That question about the gun was designed to determine whether you should be arrested for brandishing a firearm.
    You beat me too it. That is exactly what I was thinking.

"I'm calling you to let you know about a possible crime that almost happened."

"Yea... the crime might have been you. Were you brandishing your weapon at all?"

OP goes to jail.

It is getting scarier every day with LEO thinking WE are the bad guys. Or maybe he was just getting his facts straight. Right........................
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    Biker-
    Off topic, but question about your comment. I got one of those 4 "D" battery Maglights for Christmas. I get the fact I could knock someone silly with it, but it is a terrible flashlight. The plastic ones you buy for $4 give you better light. You can dial the Maglight wide or narrow, but it always seems like it has a blind spot in the center of the lens.

Thoughts?
    The KEYWORD is BLUDGEON.

The Maglight makes a great defensive tool. I never said I took the Surefire out of my pocket. That's what I use for light.

Truth be told I prefer a 4-Cell C Size Battery Maglight. It fits my forearm better, but a D will work too. It's easier to hang on to the C-Cell when swinging it at a knee.

Biker

Nice Job man
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I don't know what type of flashlight you are carrying, amd I love my Surefire, but when walking the pooch you may want to consider a Maglight. If you had gotten jumped it makes a pretty good defensive tool/bludgeon.

Biker
    +1 on the maglite. A guy I used to work with used his to finish off a deer. shot it with a bow, tracked it, I can't remember if he left the bow in his blind, or what. He ended up having to jump the deer, and finish it with blows to the head from his maglite.

Your 1911 clearly was the difference between being easy prey and the bigger dog in the fight. What the BG said sure re-enforces that criminals prefer their victims disarmed, no matter what Chuck Schumer might tell you.

Excellent job. A fine cut for Fido is in order.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Good job on your dog, your reading his cues, being armed, and your reaction.

You say that is your regular route. Do you have any better-lit options? Does your schedule not leave you with many options concerning the time of day for your walk? Sounds like a good place to get ambushed if you didn't have the dog's warning, and even with the warning, it was too close for comfort.

Interesting the number of times I'm reminded of the value of a dog on this forum.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I wanted to add... hope you fed the dog a "steak". !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Good job on your dog, your reading his cues, being armed, and your reaction.

You say that is your regular route. Do you have any better-lit options? Does your schedule not leave you with many options concerning the time of day for your walk? Sounds like a good place to get ambushed if you didn't have the dog's warning, and even with the warning, it was too close for comfort.
    i'm limited to where i can walk him, and when; my neighborhood is pretty residential, and there are few places he can "go" that won't get me yelled at. that, and his breed requires lots and lots of exercise: beagle/Jack russell terrier.

the officer i spoke to said that were a rash of robberies in the area. a conversation i had with a neighbor confirmed it. he's a 70ish Marine; i first spoke to him a month ago, when he walked over to me to pet the dog. he saw my gun, and asked if it was a Colt. i told him it was made by Taurus, and we got into a conversation about 1911s; he still sleeps with his Government Model, and carries a Commander. a week or two ago, he nearly shot two thug kids while he was sitting on his porch. they walked up to him, and demanded money. needless to say, they got nothing, but the crap scared out of them.

"this neighborhood's gone to crap," he said, "in less than 10 years. used to be, you could leave yer wallet on the ground, and someone'd be at yer door an hour later, to hand it back to ya. now, ya gotta walk around heeled, just to get the paper in the morning." one of his VFW buddies just shook his head in agreement, then pulled up his shirt to show me his gun; i think it was a Bersa.

i agree with the flashlight advice. like i said, i did have one, a small but pretty damn bright tactical light, but i'm picking up a big ole Maglight this weekend. they make them with LEDs, now, so that's cool.

and just to let everyone know, Smeagol found himself the recipient of some ground Angus and pork chops for a few days after our incident. he earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    a conversation i had with a neighbor confirmed it. he's a 70ish Marine; i first spoke to him a month ago, when he walked over to me to pet the dog. he saw my gun, and asked if it was a Colt. i told him it was made by Taurus, and we got into a conversation about 1911s; he still sleeps with his Government Model, and carries a Commander.
    This guy?

Well done. Give the doggie a treat and a scratch behind the ears. He saved your bacon that night.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links