Six 230-grain Gold-Dots to the chest........no effect.....SCARY.....

This is a discussion on Six 230-grain Gold-Dots to the chest........no effect.....SCARY..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This just goes to show that you never know what to expect in a shoot-out.... Bad guy took six shots of 230 grain gold-dot from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This just goes to show that you never know what to expect in a shoot-out....

Bad guy took six shots of 230 grain gold-dot from the cops Glock 21 and still kept fighting......

this is why i think a high-capacity sidearm is a good idea

A Warrior's Sacrifice - lawofficer.com

Hmmm....... Maybe it took seven to put the guy down?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Hmmm....... Maybe it took seven to put the guy down?
    actually, it took nine.......

two more to the ankle which nearly severed the guys foot....and the coupe' de' grace shot to the eye

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Wow. That situation seems like a textbook reason to have a carbine in the trunk of each cruiser. I imagine some aimed shots with 5.56 to CNS would have been much easier and more effective and saved the officer from serious injury. If I were that officer, I'd definitely want my AR.

I find it surprising that he didn't use his shotgun, though.

That officer is really lucky to be alive.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

For that kind of situation I would prefer having a 12ga over ar15...

Quote Originally Posted by gunny79 View Post
    For that kind of situation I would prefer having a 12ga over ar15...
    Maybe I read it wrong, but from the story it sounded like a lot of the engagement was at ranges over 25yds...would you use slugs?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'd prefer an AR myself, but thats just me.

Handguns are handguns, and rifles are rifles, rifles are much better at ending threats.

I'm glad that the officer survived, seems he was quite lucky on that night
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong, but from the story it sounded like a lot of the engagement was at ranges over 25yds...would you use slugs?
    GW, I could not find your age in your profile, so this may not apply directly to you, just your statement. We have a generation of gun gun carriers/owners/shooter,s people who enjoy their rights with us of late. These folks lean towards the AR, or mini 14, or sks or some other type of military style and caliber platform for heavy urban type of combat. This is what they always read about in magazines, or carry in the service, but something has been greatly overlooked by this new generation of fellow gun supporters.

The pump or automatic shotgun is much more deadly and reliable for shooting it out with bad guys than the AR types can ever hope to be, for ranges of 40 yards with most, longer with others. Don't think for a minute that this is rough country for buckshot at 40 yards. Go to a range, pattern any choke pattern, full choke will get you out to about 50 yards. I've killed more deer with this set up at 40-50 yards than I can remember.

Local agency recently had a shooting with the same load and same Glock. One shot COM to a BG trying to bash an officer with a chunk of concrete curb. Instant fatal stop. YMMV.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Front Sight just put up an article about some cops using an AR with 55 and 72gr projectiles and it didn't fare much better than the .45s in the above story. ARs and other rifles are nice, but they're far from magical in their ability to stop determined or psychotic assailants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Frame View Post
    GW, I could not find your age in your profile, so this may not apply directly to you, just your statement. We have a generation of gun gun carriers/owners/shooter,s people who enjoy their rights with us of late. These folks lean towards the AR, or mini 14, or sks or some other type of military style and caliber platform for heavy urban type of combat. This is what they always read about in magazines, or carry in the service, but something has been greatly overlooked by this new generation of fellow gun supporters.

The pump or automatic shotgun is much more deadly and reliable for shooting it out with bad guys than the AR types can ever hope to be, for ranges of 40 yards with most, longer with others. Don't think for a minute that this is rough country for buckshot at 40 yards. Go to a range, pattern any choke pattern, full choke will get you out to about 50 yards. I've killed more deer with this set up at 40-50 yards than I can remember.
    Well, I'm just about the furthest from an expert that can exist, so I won't really argue except to discuss my meager experience

I would ask if you are talking about a typical 18"ish or whatever defense shotgun, or a longer hunting shotgun. I have shot my HD configuration 870 with 00 and the pattern gets relatively wide at 25yds. On the other hand, we were able to hit a bowling pin at 100yds with the same shotgun using slugs (with difficulty, something other than the simple bead would probably make it easier).

Anyhow, in this story it sounds like the attacker was also behind concealment much of the time, so I was also considering that it may have been possible to make shots through the wall/car/etc with an AR.

I guess the thing I just don't understand is why the officer chose to stick with his pistol only. I wonder if, as was suggested, there is too much faith in 45acp as an 'instant win' cartridge.

GW,
    Thank you for your good points. BTW, (let me quit laughing long enough to say this). This is the internet, we are all experts.

Senior Moderator
    If I thought for a second that I was going to be in a gunfight, either the AR or the Shotgun is going with me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

personally, I'd rather have a nice pump or semi 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs. Reach out and touch a badguy at 100+ yards. At least I can with my 12 ga and a saboted slug.

Head shot would have put an end to the fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links