Chasing muggers.... doesn't seem like a good idea

This is a discussion on Chasing muggers.... doesn't seem like a good idea within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not being an LEO, we cannot call for backup, we don't have a radio with a dispatcher handy to us, and all types of advantages ...

Thread: Chasing muggers.... doesn't seem like a good idea

Chasing muggers.... doesn't seem like a good idea

Not being an LEO, we cannot call for backup, we don't have a radio with a dispatcher handy to us, and all types of advantages they may have available. Even most police officers will not endanger themselves to enter a situation that can turn bad quickly.... they will wait until "enough" backup arrives.

Here's some situations that didn't go well........... when they decided to "chase" the BG.

Boxing Champ Vernon Forrest Shot Dead - Crime & Courts News Briefs | Newser
    Boxing Champ Vernon Forrest Shot Dead
    Former pro boxer Vernon “the Viper” Forrest was shot and killed Saturday night in a skirmish after he was robbed, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Forrest had stopped at a gas station to fill his tires with air when a man robbed him at gunpoint.

Man who says no to East Boston mugger gets hacked up with butcher knife | Universal Hub
    Man who says no to East Boston mugger gets hacked up with butcher knifeBy adamg - Wed, 07/29/2009 - 11:24am.
    District A-7 reports that when a man walking down Bennington Street around 3 a.m. on Monday refused a mugger's demand to "run his pockets," the thug pulled out a butcher knife and stabbed the man several times in the chest and then, as he lay on the ground, stabbed him in the left arm for good measure. And then he took the man's cell phone and ran away.

Auxiliary Officer Is Killed Chasing Bronx Mugger - The New York Times
    Auxiliary Officer Is Killed Chasing Bronx Mugger

Kinks star Ray Davies shot after chasing muggers | World news | The Guardian
    Kinks star Ray Davies shot after chasing muggers

2. Remove Ads

And what do you do if you catch the mugger (as a non LEO)? Do you shoot him? Do you give him a tounge lashing? Do you ask him to not do it again? Do you karate chop him in the back of the neck so he is immobilized but still alive? Do you make a citizens arrest? How about 20 lashes with a wet noodle?
    OR
    Do you call in a good description to the police as you head for safety?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

What you don't do is leave your 11 year old nephew at the gas pumps because you are ego invested and the prey drive kicks in.- George

VIP Member
    Guys, I'm really glad we have this forum, because you are giving me a viewpoint and things to think about. My gut and my brains aren't together on this chasing thing, but I think my brains need to learn to get a little more control over my gut.

Fortunately, I've never been in such a situation. Just deep inside, I know it isn't my character to hold back. Now, thanks to lots of posts in this forum I also realize how unwise my gut is.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Chasing an armed attacker once they've turned to flee will almost always end up in you going to jail if it turns into a shooting. Why? Because you chased them down and put yourself in the situation.

With rare exceptions, ie, kidnapping, or someone some how stealing an extremely rare medicine required to save someones life.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Only in the defense of others...eg. the BG is chasing someone else, or is kidnapping someone.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sorry! My mask and cape are at the cleaners.

I'll do the cellphone trick and wave at him as he leaves.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

Well put!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I agree.... if the immediate threat is gone by them running off... I call 911 and give them a great description and where they headed. I'll even draw them a portrait of the person if they need it.

There are times when I felt I should have chased the BG who ran me off the road the other day. Later on when the adrenaline wore off and I began to think with a clear head I felt I acted well using my brains. Prudence sometimes is the better part of valor.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I realise they got the boxers Rolex and champion ring,but everything they took could have been replaced,the one thing he lost he cannot replace is his life.He was in unfamiliar territory at night chasing a guy into an unknown situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

You're lucky, mine don't fit anymore...

I'll stick to the cell phone, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is nothing like being in a dark ally calling for help and not knowing exactly where you are.

can't say it would be in you're best interst. will almost make you look like the B.G.
    ofcourse there might still be a threat agaisnt you or family ,etc. the main prinible
    of ccw/self defense is to stop the threat. now if b.g. is running away and you
    chase him being armed,it might not look to good to the jury. i s'st there so not
    sure of the senrieo but don't forget your brain. that's the best weapon you have. try to think stright and above all stay safe. live today,tell you're story
    tomorrow.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Links