Man approached aggressively in parking lot......

This is a discussion on Man approached aggressively in parking lot...... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I take my grandkids to a place they love to go, hambuger joint. I was not "observing" as I should have been. We're getting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man approached aggressively in parking lot......

Man approached aggressively in parking lot......

Ok, I take my grandkids to a place they love to go, hambuger joint. I was not "observing" as I should have been.

We're getting out of the car and a guy is walking across the parking lot nearby. Then , he suddenly approaches me fast ..... and saying something . This is a "common" tactic of people who want to access how you will react ... if you respond or allow them to get closer to hear them... then you are a potential victim or a hit for money.

They also like to approach you if there are kids present, as they figure you won't want any trouble with kids around, or give them any.

This guy's dressed OK. Clean clothes, etc. But, I didn't like anything about him. He is up on me rather quick and I was unprepared. But, I readjusted quickly. He told me that he had no money and that I should "give me some of your money man, I ain't got none and need it". He did this in a very demanding manner.

He was about 10-12 ft away when I told him "NO". "Get away from me and leave NOW" (in a rather commanding no nonsense voice). A memory is flashing thru my mind of when I nearly got into a great fight with a guy who essentially decided I was going to give him some money, even if he had to rob me.

He stopped, looked at me, started cussing me out, then slowly started to come my way as he put one hand in his right pocket.... calling me all types of names and threatening me as he did so. (I was thinking KNIFE). I remember him saying "YOU SOB , you NEED to GIVE ME YOUR MONEY NOW".

I put my hand quickly back where my gun is (ready to pull in a flash) ....... he stopped, looked at my hand (gun was not displayed or visible in any manner..... my hand was under my shirt on the gun tho) ... he gave me a nasty look, cussed me profusely, and then quickly turned around and headed away..... cussing and yelling while he did.

My grandkids... both quickly said ... "we stayed on the other side of the car just in case Granddad"....... "now , we see why you carry a gun... we weren't sure what that guy was going to do ". She had her cell phone in her hand, open and ready to dial.... and then informed me she was ready to run inside and to call 911 once she was (safely) inside. She's 12 yrs old.

So, they learned some situational awareness too, and had the sense to stay on the other side of the car and let me handle it. Their job is to get to a safe place.

We have discussed several things and "what if's" ... and they were prepared to do exactly what we've discussed. I was proud of them.

2. Remove Ads

Good job all around. Ice cream for the kids!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My grandkids... both quickly said ... "we stayed on the other side of the car just in case Granddad"....... "now , we see why you carry a gun... we weren't sure what that guy was going to do ". She had her cell phone in her hand, open and ready to dial.... and then informed me she was ready to run inside and to call 911 once she was (safely) inside. She's 12 yrs old.
    So, they learned some situational awareness too, and had the sense to stay on the other side of the car and let me handle it. Their job is to get to a safe place.

We have discussed several things and "what if's" ... and they were prepared to do exactly what we've discussed. I was proud of them.
    Give her my Congrats for a job very well done.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

At ten to twelve feet, and his hand in a position consistant with having a weapon I'd have probably drawn based on his actions.

It's probably better that you didn't however and I'm glad you were able to end the situation as you did, without displaying a gun. As far as the kids go, great job! They were spot-on in keeping the vehicle between the badguy and them. Next time however they should be on the phone with 911 and retreating to safety.

It doesn't take long to get around a vehicle if one is absolutely determined, and they most likely wouldn't have been able to outrun him. Thus, retreat as soon as danger rears it's head is a better plan.

Overall good job, and good job by the kids too.

For those of you wondering why I'm not "jumping" all over the OP, it's because he articulated a threat and I happen to remember that he has former expirience as a LEO, IIRC. If the OP doesn't have LEO training I have his post here to go by. That is vastly different than all the new posters posting their "I drew my gun today" post as a way of introduction. That gives me something to guage his actions by.

You don't need LEO training or a big-name gun school, but you do have to be able to articulate why you did what you did and it helps to have some sort of articulatible expirience to go by. He also did not go walking into a threatening situation and clearly told the aggressive panhandler, that's all he is at this time, to go away and leave him alone. He also has the Grandkids to protect. That changes the tactics used and the amount of "lee-way" you have.

Now I have to ask, were you standing flat-footed, or were to attempting to move to a position of cover and creating distance for yourself? Distance is your friend.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 4th, 2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Give her my Congrats for a job very well done.
    Ditto. Awesome awareness by the kiddo!
    Glad all is well.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

You and the kids did great, both in planning ahead of time and when it actually counted.

Did you make that followup call to the police?

Id say good job! +1 for the kids to. Sounds like youve taught them well.

good job, and good job by the kids too.
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

If you have not called the police you should do so now.

Overall good job and as stated you may want to let the kids know that running inside may have been a good tactic (and/or calling 911).

For others reading (as I can not tell if the OP did this), I feel an aggresive stance while retreating (if you can picture that, practice and you will see what I mean) is a good deturant as well as great tactically. Stay light on your feet and think of yourself as an athlete moving away while showing control not victim attitude.

Good job.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Smart kids
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thumbs up

Their job is to get to a safe place.
    Excellent! The "team" approach is what stands out, here. The kids saw you react to an inbound threat, knew what might be coming, knew to get out of the way and to relative safety, and they knew how to contribute as best they could (be a witness, dial 911). Through the review afterwards, talking through the scenario should help reinforce in their minds that did very well. Obviously they seem to get the rationale behind carrying of defensive weapons.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Now I have to ask, were you standing flat-footed, or were to attempting to move to a position of cover and creating distance for yourself? Distance is your friend.

Biker
    Except you have grand-kids on the other side of the car, or nearby.

I can't visualize being able to create distance from a threatening person without exposing the kids. I can't see how you would be able to herd children AND keep focused on a threat at the same time either.

I have a two year-old and this scenario (being threatened while being with a child or children) is one of the worst I can imagine being in. What do you do?

I think I would have done what the OP did. Stand ground and stay focused on the threat to keep them away from the kids. If they are old enough, I guess you could call out to them to either get in the car or go inside. It seems like the OP's grand-kids had some initiative and were about to do just that. I'm sure these things happen really fast (as some of you can attest.)

This is a very thought-provoking thread for me. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad all turned out well.

Well done! You and the kids are safe, and another dirtbag learned his lesson, too...everyone is not an easy victim.

There are many individuals in parking lots who while talking on a cell phone would never even be aware of such an approaching situation until it's too late.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She had her cell phone in her hand, open and ready to dial.... and then informed me she was ready to run inside and to call 911 once she was (safely) inside. She's 12 yrs old.
    That may just be the best couple of sentences I've ever read here on DC. Good for your grandkid!

I am amazed we still call these ROBBERS "panhandlers".

A panhandler or beggar beseeches passersby for money. Having some half-crazed, angry man approach and demand your money is robbery.

I am not a lawyer, but I know a robbery when I see one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links