Oops--don't have my gun!

Oops--don't have my gun!

This is a discussion on Oops--don't have my gun! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from a family vacation in Ocean City, MD. The other evening I left the hotel and was walking to the parking ...

Oops--don't have my gun!

I just got back from a family vacation in Ocean City, MD. The other evening I left the hotel and was walking to the parking garage. There were a couple of suspicious guys hanging out by the elevator to the parking garage. I instinctively reached to my side to see if my piece was there. Dawned on me real quick that I didn't have it because MD doesn't have reciprocity with PA. I herded my family away from the elevators and took a detour. My family was complaining about what I was doing. I gave them a stern look and said "not now". After we got to what appeared to be a safer area (more light) I explained to them what I was doing. I used that as a "teachable moment" like our Prez likes to say. I sort of wished that reciprocity bill would have went through. I know this is a tourist area and there are tons of people around, but I just read the thread on the gym shooting in Pittsburgh and I don't feel like I over reacted.

Nope.. That would be a BAD feeling to not be carrying when your alertness goes up.. A couple weeks ago me and my kids and a few others was hiking on the mountain, we was in a creek/canyon when all the sudden I heard noises behind me,. I turn to see this guy (no backpack, water nothing) briskly walking up behind us all,.. I got everyone in front of me and kept my eye on this guy until he came up and crossed over the creek to the other side,. Then I let my alertness down, but still kept an eye out for him.. It wasn't that someone was out there or that I was over reacting, but the situation was out of the norm,.. Sorta like the girl that said the shooter walked in with his bag and she felt it was out of the norm.. Keep alert, keep ourself and family's/friends safe too...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have a solution for you.

I just got back a couple hours ago from Rehoboth Beach, DE...a stone's throw from where you were. Guess what, though...DE has reciprocity with VA

Since you are from PA and probably don't have a VA CHP, I will note they also have reciprocity with UT and FL
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I have a solution for you.

I just got back a couple hours ago from Rehoboth Beach, DE...a stone's throw from where you were. Guess what, though...DE has reciprocity with VA

Since you are from PA and probably don't have a VA CHP, I will note they also have reciprocity with UT and FL
    Do you know off hand if I can get a non-resident permit in VA so I could carry in DE? I went there last year (Rehoboth).

I have been carrying for over 20 years and one thing that I do, especially when with the family, is when I see "suspicious" people I take an alternate route(when possible), even when I am armed. Avoidance is #1. There is still a chance that they can do harm to a loved one before I can get to all of the bad guys. Stay safe.

It's never a good feeling to need your gun and not have it.

I once had to "bluff" my way out of a situation in a Parking Lot. The individual I bluffed, I had taken at gunpoint previously, but he fled. I was not a LEO, so I let him go and summoned the local LEO's. He recognized me and was coming directly towards me with anger and hate in his eyes. The reason I challenged him at gunpoint I won't go into except to say that I was never charged, but I think I got lucky in that case with the responding LEO's.

I saw him coming and stopped. My shirt was an un-tucked long sleeved dress shirt. I went into an interview stance, turning my gun-side away from him and put my hand up under my shirt. He stopped, turned around and walked away.

Situaltional Awareness is your friend and it sounds like it served you well in this case.

Biker

Next time drive a few more miles and come on down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Your family and your permit will love it here!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Next time drive a few more miles and come on down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Your family and your permit will love it here!
    Hey, thanks for the invite. It's funny you mentioned that, my wife has been bugging me to go there for a couple of years. I think that is next years excursion. And if I can carry there, all the better.

VIP Member
    VA does issue non resident permits. Here's a link to the VA State Police website. You can either call for a package or download from the site.

Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    VA does issue non resident permits. Here's a link to the VA State Police website. You can either call for a package or download from the site.

Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
    Thanks, Archer 51!

The frustration and stupidity of what our politicians have created...

I live in State A and can't carry there, I visit State B and have to have a gun license from State C (where I have never even visited) to carry in State B.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in State A and can't carry there, I visit State B and have to have a gun license from State C (where I have never even visited) to carry in State B.
    ... all the while, criminals ignore all of it and simply carry everywhere, leaving such patchwork lunacy laws to apply only to upstanding people.

IMO, "stupidity" isn't the word for the morass. It's criminal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links