Approached after leaving a concert

This is a discussion on Approached after leaving a concert within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FYI, I went to CrueFest2 last night here in Denver at Fiddler's Green (We really wanted to see Theory of a Deadman, Drowning Pool and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approached after leaving a concert

FYI,

I went to CrueFest2 last night here in Denver at Fiddler's Green (We really wanted to see Theory of a Deadman, Drowning Pool and Godsmack). I went with my wife and brother in law. I decided not to risk attempting to carry inside, even though there were no wands or metal detectors. I did get patted down and had to lift my cover shirt, exposing my empty Minotaur Gladiator. The guy said nothing, but did take a second look at my NiteCore Extreme Infinity (which is all I ended up bringing). I am glad I left the Glock locked in the car.

Anyway, I was the designated driver and walked back to get the car, about a quarter mile away through several parking lots. I left my wife and brother in law waiting for my return. During my walk, I did my best to avoid all the drunks who where there to see Motley Crue and the other bands (you can visualize the majority of patrons Motley Crue brings in). Unfortunately, on the home stretch to the car, a couple young, drunk punks and I crossed paths. They were being loud-mouthed and stating they "wanted a pizza." They then saw me and asked me if I "had a pizza." I said no I didn't, continuing my path to the car, NiteCore in my left hand. They changed direction and started walking parallel with me (originally we were on perpendicular paths). One of them then started walking in an exaggerated way, acting like he was mocking me and trying to be a little intimidating. I was sure he was going to ask me for money or something. I ignored him, while trying to keep my distance and watching with my peripheral vision.

At that point I was badly wishing my Glock was with me and not in the car, since I had no idea what was possibly going to happen. I wasn't nearly to the point of drawing, but I would have felt a lot less vulnerable than I did. This is the first time since owning my CCW for over a year I felt threatened and I didn't have my firearm or my SOG Flash II knife with me.

After a few more moments of mocking me, the guy's friend said something about "you're gonna get us arrested." At that point the guy next to me broke off and they changed direction. I got to the car, immediately holstered my Glock and picked up my wife and brother in law. We got home safely.

Just wanted to share.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Young, smart-aleck drunks and potential attackers - sadly, they are difficult to tell apart at times.

Glad it was the former.

If these kids had any idea they were messing with a guy with a ccw, do you think they (when sober) would be thanking their lucky stars?

Dopes.

Come on! Did you expect anything less at a Crue concert? I took my son to a Aerosmith concert in Camden, NJ a few years ago where the Crue opened. Kinda cured him of going to any concerts with me again. What a bunch of out-of-control people.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Come on! Did you expect anything less at a Crue concert? I took my son to a Aerosmith concert in Camden, NJ a few years ago where the Crue opened. Kinda cured him of going to any concerts with me again. What a bunch of out-of-control people.
    No, I didn't expect anything less, hence why I tried so hard to keep my distance on the way back to the car and keep my SA up.

P.S. The concert was great until Crue played. I was quite disappointed when they played. Glad they were last.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Usual Crue type fare and to be expected at an event like that, in my opinion. Glad it ended well for you.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Why keep on the empty holster?
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

You went to see (GOD SMACK) & call MOTLEY CRUE fans weird But glad you made out OK
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    bunch of cruddy run of the mill bands.
    why didnt you give them the pizza

I won't comment on what you refer to as music.

To each their own in that regard I guess. Some of us may be tone deaf and like loud noises that have nothing to do with music or firearms.

I think you learned tonight the meaning behind Clint Smith's saying: "A gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable."

I'm glad that everything went OK for you. Now please schedule an appointment with an audiologist to determine the degree of tone deafness you suffer from.

Biker

Im going to go on and say i bet that was a good concert. I go to alot. I went to greenday this past friday. I dont carry but i do sneak my knife in. They can be a roudy bunch but ive never had any problems yet. Rock on!

I went to three inches of blood, devil driver, and slipknot concert in Grand rapids. Crue fans look like mother teresa compared to. Glad everything went well. I didnt carry in the concert, but left it locked in the safe in the car.

If the guy attacking you is on meth, a taser or pepper spray are both unlikely to work. I think tasers are a no go at concerts as well.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I'm 6'03 and 255 lbs and as big as a house so sometimes this makes it hard for me to relate to what others feel threatened by.

In my experience...generally speaking, a "Dude...get out of here...seriously" tends to work to fend off the drunks.

I just can't understand feeling vulnerable from encountering a drunko goofing off in a parking lot after a concert - certainly not to the point of feeling like I need my gun. The gun for me would be a tool of absolute last resort and I can't imagine a drunk in a parking lot full of people causing me enough grave concern and fear for my life that I'd want to present it or use it.

I think alot of bullies tend to swallow hard when they are stood up to...and I take a small amount of pleasure in watching them rethink their choice to screw with me simply by my stopping and holding ground.
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

You did good!

2 weeks ago I went to a Pop Evil/Jackyl concert at the Dodge City Raceway (dirt track). It was the opening event for Dodge City Days-yes a lot of soon to be drunk cowboy posers. BTW-Pop evil was awesome, Jackyl was pretty damn good also. Enjoyed the Pop Evil music more than Jackyl, but Jackyl put on a great show.

I figured the place was posted, so I was unarmed except for my trusty Spyderco Harpy and that gray stuff in my head.

After the concert/beer drinking exibition the parking lot was sure to be eventfull. Wife and I went in seperate cars, I walked her to her car which we entered and promptly locked the doors. She then drove me to my car and we waited for it to get uncongested.

As we're sitting there drunk A walks in front of a pickup enroute to drunks B, C, D, E, F, you get the idea. The pick-up brake pedal must've been missing or temporarily unavailable as the pick-up did not slow down at all for drunk A. Well drunk A's buddies shouted something and pick-up driver miraculously regains use of his brake pedal, stops and he and his date get out of the pick-up to see if anyone needed a shove. After some discussion and maybe some counting the pick-up driver and his date backed-off and left. I hadn't rigged up my secure-it box yet so my G19 was at home, lonely in the safe. I was a tad uncomfortable all night. Kind-of entertaining to watch, but glad I wasn't involved.

Joker1

I just went to Mayhem Fest last Sunday. Ridiculous crowd filled with potheads and drunks. I always sneak my knife in. Hell i think you could sneak in a small firearm with the way they pat u down. I actually have never felt too threatened at concerts, I guess Im just used to the rowdy people, although Im always on alert in case things go foul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links