Someone messing with your car

This is a discussion on Someone messing with your car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I suspect that a shooting to protect property in either NM or TX would be a bad experience. I recall that some years ago Nebraska ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone messing with your car

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I suspect that a shooting to protect property in either NM or TX would be a bad experience. I recall that some years ago Nebraska (I think) passed a law that permitted deadly force to protect property. I also remember that the Supreme Court set it aside.

If one were to shoot to protect his car from being damaged I think he would spend more money in lawyer fees than the car cost, and would probably be convicted of some crime that would result in jail time.

I think that the right to own property is a basic right, and it follows that one should be able to protect that property. After all, don't we fight wars over such things?

But many do not think as I do. Instead of seeing it as protecting property because it is a basic right, they see it as a car being worth more than a human life.

Accordingly, I would not shoot someone over property. I would only use deadly force if I feared for my life or that I would suffer great bodily harm. That extends to my family, and others depending upon the circumstances.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

I'd probably call 911 and then yell at the BG to get him to leave the area.

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I'd probably call 911 and then yell at the BG to get him to leave the area.
    If the perp wasn't aware of my presence, I sure wouldn't give him a "heads up".

He might be armed and better with a gun than me, and decide he doesn't want any living witnesses to his crime.

Best to call 911 and give as many details as possible. Observe his getaway, if he leaves in a vehicle, try to get a license plate number.

After the police come and complete their investigation and report, contact your insurance company.

I live in Texas; I call the cops, report it, then I walk up and give the BG 2 choices:

You can get on the ground and assume the position and wait to be arrested by the police.

or you can be carried away by the coroner.......

Any questions you may have will be answered immediately by the kind folks at Springfield Armory.

P.S. In Texas you can shoot to protect your property....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    In Texas you can shoot to protect your property....
    Which doesn't automatically make it the wisest or best choice, and it still depends on the situation in many cases.

I bet a Texas jury wouldn't give you a favorable verdict if you decided to shoot the neighbor's 12-year old kid, who you caught in the act of stealing your garden hose.

Here in VA, one cannot use deadly force for property, so as tough as it might be to just be a good witness, that's what I would have to do. I would only hope the insurance co. will pay what the damages are less my deductible.

<~~~~~My classic I sweat over for the last few years. Like I said, it would be VERY tough to not low draw and retain for leo.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    I bet a Texas jury wouldn't give you a favorable verdict if you decided to shoot the neighbor's 12-year old kid, who you caught in the act of stealing your garden hose.
    Witness the recent case of the hillbilly pair in Texas (Gayle & Sheila Muhs) who shot and killed a child for having essentially taken away their silence and solitude (via trespass). A textbook case of how the "right" to defend property with lethal force is not limitless.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A garden hose would cost me all of 20 bucks to replace; as the OP presented the original situation, damaging my vehicle is a lot more expensive; besides, at the time, I cannot say for sure if vandalism was the motive or theft.

At that point, I don't care. A 30,000$ truck is a lot harder to repair or replace than a 20$ garden hose.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Witness the recent case of the hillbilly pair in Texas (Gayle & Sheila Muhs) who shot and killed a child for having essentially taken away their silence and solitude (via trespass). A textbook case of how the "right" to defend property with lethal force is not limitless.
    Yikes! Those two look like a couple of inbreds who've been hitting the crystal meth pretty hard.

To make matters worse for them, I believe the dead child was actually on subdivision property, rather than their own personal property.

I predict long jail sentences, and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I don't care. A 30,000$ truck is a lot harder to repair or replace than a 20$ garden hose.
    ... and a life, harder still.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thumbs up

True that.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Yes, but it was their choice to take the risk (in a state where lethal force in defense of property is legal).

I have little respect for the lives of thieves and bullies. They make their own bed.

What I do have respect for is the law; here it says defense of property cannot be with deadly force, so I will obey the law.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

If you touch my car its shoot first ask questions later!! on a serious note I will issue a verbal warning for a person to step away from my car... If they produce a weapon or become violent I will use my training.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

VIP Member
    The car is insured and I am not a cop! No property I own is worth a human life, mine or theirs.

I'd call 911.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I would suggest taking pictures/video of the guy with the camera that is probably built-in to your phone.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    But the kid stealing your $20 garden hose isn't committing a felony. A BG ripping up your classic car is causing $1,000's of dollars of damage, which can be a felony (even if it's only vandalism, and not attempted theft).

Not that I'd want to shoot either of them. I'm just sayin'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links