Thought we had a defensive situ' in the home

This is a discussion on Thought we had a defensive situ' in the home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a few nights ago, the wife and I are sound asleep. We are both suddenly awakened by a loud crash out in the living ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought we had a defensive situ' in the home

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Thought we had a defensive situ' in the home

So a few nights ago, the wife and I are sound asleep. We are both suddenly awakened by a loud crash out in the living room. Half asleep we both jump up, I grab my G27 in it's holster off the nightstand and my streamlight and head for the living room.

The strangest noise was coming from the open window in the corner. If I could describe it, it sounded like someone dragging a broomstick down the siding - over, and over, and over, and over and.......

The computer screen in the kitchen was mysteriously on and illuminating the room and a stool from the breakfast bar was knocked over.

But the noise was still happening and it was completely out of this world. I walked to the sliding glass door to get a look outside and below the open window. Wifey heads toward the window.

Below the window, huddled in the corner, quivering behind a speaker, is the fat little corgi with a box of rits-bits stuck on her head. The "out of this world" noise was the sound of the box reverberating when she exhaled.

We were going camping the next morning and had all our stuff layed out by the door. Muttly dug into the box of food, ate the chow, and then proceeded to bounce off everything in the house knocking over chairs along the way waking us up, until her fat little body became lodged in the corner.

Stupid dog
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar

I travel alot! I use the TV timer as an alarm to get me up to make the first flight of the day. The next week I'm not traveling and the TV comes on at 3 am with some show that has a kid screeming at the top of her lungs. I jump out of bed grab the P95 and start running with a sick image of my girls in some kind of distress! I made it almost to our living room before I reliezed the terrible sounds of distress are comming from the TV.

I think I may have lost a few years of my life that night!
    [One Nation Under God]

My sister's husband was on travel when at 3am a squirrel came down the chimney into the family room and knocked over a vase which shattered. Scared the heck out of her. Animals do the darndest things.

That is hilarious!!!! Don't you just love dogs and their antics? They may wake us from a sound sleep from time to time but they keep us young.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Sorry but I had to!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Haha!! Those stories are great!

When my father was a young man, something woke him up and so he crept out of the bedroom and into the living room. He didn't turn on any lights and was really quiet. When he got to the living room he thought he saw a guy standing in the dark, wearing a hat.

After freaking out (quietly) wondering what to do, he decided to lunge and tackle the "guy." Well, after the tackle, the "guy" turned out to be his golf bag and the "hat" was actually a hat he or my mom had stuck on top of the golf bag.

Quote Originally Posted by spacetoast View Post
    .Well, after the tackle, the "guy" turned out to be his golf bag and the "hat" was actually a hat he or my mom had stuck on top of the golf bag.
    Now thats a funny story!

So how long did it take for your heart to slow down so you could go back to sleep?

I've been spared this kind of experience but the old lego left out on the path to the can adds 15 minutes to whatever it was going to take to go back to sleep at 2am. Shudder to think what my heart rate would do if I thought someone was in the house.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    They may wake us from a sound sleep from time to time but they keep us young.
    I'm not so sure. It sounds like the OP's dog could have caused both he and his wife to have a heart attack!

Not a "night threat" situation but these remind me of what a bassett hound of mine did to me probably 15 years ago. I was in a nice sound sleep, with my head near the edge of the bed facing the edge. My dog, apparently wanting breakfast RIGHT THEN, let out a full volume bark not six inches from my face. Damn that was loud! Going from a nice sleep to hearing that was almost a heart attack. No chance of getting back to sleep so he won.

Quote Originally Posted by spacetoast View Post
    After freaking out (quietly) wondering what to do, he decided to lunge and tackle the "guy." Well, after the tackle, the "guy" turned out to be his golf bag and the "hat" was actually a hat he or my mom had stuck on top of the golf bag.
    Now that's good. In my family, that would prompt a lot of practicle jokes and probably a lifelong nick-name or two.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't Jason, or maybe Michael Meyers! Never know when one of those horror movies are going to come to life.

Did you draw down on the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    Did you draw down on the dog?
    Nope, the G27 was never removed from the holster I carried it in. To play the event over in my head, it wasn't the model of tacticle correctness (the way we investigated the situation). But, in the neighborhood I'm in, I don't feel like I have to go to defcon10 (whatever) everytime a noise is out of place. I believe there is a little bit of gut instinct that tells a person when things aren't "just right" and you need to be more careful. So I never felt the need to draw down and invoke evasive manuevers.

Well, I shouldn't say "I never felt the need to draw". Initially we were quite alarmed at the crashing and banging. But once that stopped and it was just that reverbating noise, we settled down. We didn't leave the bedroom until after the crashing was done and the "noise" didn't subside.

The odd part was that the noise was so loud and so inhuman, it was more likely to be aliens than a home invasion at that point.

Who is John Galt?

Glad you caught the burglar! Is she doing time now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links