You are pumping gas and witness an armed robbery

This is a discussion on You are pumping gas and witness an armed robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the hypothetical scenario (I thought about while pumping gas tonight after watching Transformers at the theatre...enjoyable BTW). You are pumping gas at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You are pumping gas and witness an armed robbery

You are pumping gas and witness an armed robbery

So here is the hypothetical scenario (I thought about while pumping gas tonight after watching Transformers at the theatre...enjoyable BTW).

You are pumping gas at the pre-pay pump when a black Escalade pulls up to the front of the store and drops off a shady looking hood thug lookin' fella and then pulls around the back. Your senses are going crazy because this looks far from right due to the thug lookin' fella pulling his hoodie up and walking in...gun drawn!

You have a clear view of the interior of the store and there are no other people inside (just the teller and BG). The (now presumed) getaway car is around the back and out of sight...

What would you do?...

Be a good witness?
    Go in, guns a blazing?
    Shoot through the glass?
    Give a verbal "leave you scumbag" type of warning?
    Hope the teller has a bigger gun under the counter and proceed to take out a bag of popcorn and watch the show?

What would you do? This is a classic type of robbery scenario and you just have the feeling that something bad is about to happen. What do you do?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Pull away, call it in. Unless they're shooting at me, I'm not engaging in that situation as described, or most others for that matter.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I'm getting in my car and driving a safe distance away while I dial 911.
    I do not want to get involved in something that has not come my way.
    I'll be a good witness and watch where the get-away car goes, getting a good description, possibly a plate number.

Going in guns blazing would be very foolish...
    What would you give a warning for, that you want to start a gun fight?
    If you could stay a ways behind without being seen, you might trail the car and give police some directional help.

Stay armed...don't practice being a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Get out of there and call 911 ASAP!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Retreat and call 911.

Since you are outside, you probably have no way to approach the BG without him seeing you first. This is a recipe for getting shot.

If you were in the store at the time, say in a back aisle, it would be different. But, even then my plan would be to hide, possibly draw, and observe the demeanor of the robber. I would only shoot if I thought that he was going to. In my view the correct response in such a situation depends heavily on the 'vibe' you are getting from the BG, and the situation as a whole.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you could stay a ways behind without being seen, you might trail the car and give police some directional help.
    I think this sounds a bit like the movies...tail a car? Sounds like someone is practicing being like a cop!

Oh, I just love playing devils advocate!

Ok, let me clarify the situation...seeing as it is my make believe scenario.

The BG has the gun drawn and has stated that he is going to shoot the clerk (I can read lips in this scenario...or his posture and demeaner states it).

You family is safely tucked away in bed and and is just you and a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    What would you do?...

Be a good witness?
    Yes, while distancing myself from the situation, and finding cover.
    Go in, guns a blazing? No.
    Shoot through the glass? No, glass does funny things to the trajectory of a bullet
    Give a verbal "leave you scumbag" type of warning? Speed, surprise and violence of actions are all things you want on your side if it turns south, and you just gave one of them away. Besides, if I am pulling and using my weapon it is to stop an immediate and imminent lethal threat to myself or someone else, no time for movie stuff.
    Hope the teller has a bigger gun under the counter and proceed to take out a bag of popcorn and watch the show? I would be watching the event, from my covered and concealed location, although I don't really enjoy watching people die violent deaths, so I doubt I'd be eating popcorn.
    This is the sort of thing you really should just call 911, and be a good witness, while protecting yourself, and anyone else in your vehicle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well, I am gonna throw this out there...

Not playing devils advocate here either. I don't have it in me to just drive away, call 911 and leave it, ect. I can't help but think what if I was the teller, would I want someone to act or to wait for the police to be called in from wherever they may be?

I can't tell you what I would do in this situation, but I don't believe that I could just leave it alone because I am not directly involved. I am not chastising those who would and neither am I just trying to be a hero, I have not taken a sworn oath to protect the teller nor am I trying to get on TV.

I just simply don't have it in me to drive away. But hey, if that fecal matter ever hit the wind machine...I really don't know 100% how I would react.

I don't carry to be a hero, I carry to protect my family, myself and those whom I believe to be innocent. I don't think I could live with myself in that situation if I did not act and the teller was injured or killed. I have the means, I have the training (not a cop, but training) and I would have a good chance at saving a life.

Why is it that we all seem to say that we would not doubt shoot first if the gun was pointed at up, but when it is at a stranger...

Sorry, I am not on here to make friends...I just like provoking thought.

VIP Member
    I will opt to calling 911 and being a good witness also. Being outside you are not in a good position to engage and your life is not in jeopardy. Even if the robber does shoot then runs outside it could be argued the threat has passed and you would not be justified using deadly force.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Being outside looking in from where I am pumping gas, I would call the police while maintaining direct observation. If the BG does anything more than simply have his gun pointed at the clerk, having eyes on would provide much better witness testimony in court.

I would get behind cover and maintain observation as the BG left the store, probably with hand on the pistol in case he started toward me for witnessing his crime.

If BG did start heading toward me, I would order him to stop. If he did not, then drawing to fire is justified.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I think this sounds a bit like the movies...tail a car? Sounds like someone is practicing being like a cop!

Oh, I just love playing devils advocate!
    Actually, I did JUST THIS...
    A while back, we had some thugs in our sub who were looking for open garages to 'shop' from...

I got into my car and stayed a 1/2 mile back and called 911.
    I wasn't playing cop, just protecting the 'hood'.
    The 911 operator was extremely friendly and had me continue to stay WAY behind but sent 3 cars in my direction.
    I was never close enough to draw attention, but eventually the three cars cornered the dirtbags and pulled them over...they never saw me.

So what did I do wrong there, nosights? What would you have done? Enlighten me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I feel it depends on what occurs during the robbery. If the perp commits the robbery and leaves without killing anyone, then I'd get his plates and call 911.

If he starts executing everyone in the store, you can be sure I'm not leaving that place.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    If BG did start heading toward me, I would order him to stop. If he did not, then drawing to fire is justified.
    It's safe to say that I would have my gun drawn the instant I first saw the armed perp inside the store. I wouldn't wait for him to come at me before drawing.

When guns come out I start looking for cover.

Cover, that's first. If getting to cover means I flee the area, that's what I do. Shooting back is optional, cover is mandatory.

In your scenario I would most likely get to cover and summon 911 while trying, but maybe not suceeding, to be a good witness. If the felonious individual hurts or kills the clerk that is sad, but I'm a self-centered, arrogant, egotistical genius that believes in self preservation first.

I saw something similar to this in real life once. It even looked like a real badguy. It turned out to be a friend of a friend of the clerk and a real looking toy gun. It was a joke. The clerk's friend was in the car laughing his head off.

Sometimes things aren't what they seem.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links