Tense moment in Walmart today

This is a discussion on Tense moment in Walmart today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Way to maintain your composure and stay alert. Lowering yourself their level is never a good idea. Of course if they cause you to fear ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tense moment in Walmart today

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Way to maintain your composure and stay alert. Lowering yourself their level is never a good idea. Of course if they cause you to fear for your's or someone elses well being, that is somethin different.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Nah, kick the wall instead, that way you can still sit on the couch and play on the innerweb.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    SHOULDA offered him some free mcdonalds.

Good job! Its hard sometimes but i always feel better when im the better man.

Good job, I would be careful about turning your back to a potential threat, at least keep the dirtbag in your peripheral vision as you increase distance.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    It never fails to amaze me just how small and insignificant the human spirit can be. In fact, I recall be offended not too long ago when a couple moved directly in front of my face in Italy. I completely forgot the culture after several years of traveling over there.

Anyway, back here in the USA I carry a gun and I’m constantly avoiding any perception of aggression. I suppose it’s sorta like when we occasionally get cut off in traffic whereby our personal space is violated. In any event, you handled your situation well as nobody ended up dead.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

All things considered, you handled the situation the best you could under the circumstances. At times the best thing to do is just walk away. Even after saying "Excuse me" if the individual had hostile feelings toward you it was wiser to just walk away. Courtesy words don't work with some people. They just don't know how to respond to polite statements. It's ashamed it has to be that way.

Confronting this person would not have had any positive results. In his mindset there was no way you could have dealt with him to any degree. Walking away was the wisest course of action.

You did the intelligent thing by just letting the matter drop! Wise move on your part.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Good job. That type of thing is particularly hard for me to deal with. My first instinct would be to ram my fist down the punk's throat, rip his guts out and wring them around his neck. As a concealed weapons carrier of course I keep those instincts in check as you did so well.
    I also tend to react quite aggressively to that sort of behavior. It is so easy to get caught up in the macho or meek thing. But I force myself to think and I train a lot!
    Last edited by Patriot911; August 9th, 2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Got "off topic", removed and started another thread.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

Smile

Way to avoid issues with the scum!!! Sometimes just the words "excuse me" can come out with a tonal quality that makes the phrase sound more like a question. A simple I'm sorry or just sorry can help set the proper tone unless they are simply punks. Then it doesn't matter what you say, they will challenge you.

Armydad

When it is just words Always walk away.

I passed the "MAN" test a long time ago. Always keep your SA in case the other man hasn't passed his test yet and thinks he has to to prove something.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Sounds like a small man with something to prove. Choice of vocabulary also indicates a general lack of intelligence. So you had a run-in with a small stupid person with something to prove. We used to say they have a short between the headphones.

Since beginning to carry years ago, I have mellowed a great deal in the interest of avoiding escalation of any situation. No talking back, no display of the middle finger, and nothing at all to resemble road rage.

Sometimes it's hard to refrain, but it is the best choice. Then, if the other party ups the ante, I can claim rightfully that I was a "reluctant participant". In our state that is important should something happen that gets into a courtroom

You did well...I commend you on keeping your cool....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Great Job.

Thank you all for your comments. In hindsight. I had a canister of OC spray on my key ring. I never thought about it. My keys were in my pocket. I'm thinking I may need to program myself to remove it and keep more accessible. Lastly and at the risk of sounding like a wuss. It scared me. It really scared me.

Those people are not worth it! You did good.

We all need to be in a code yellow mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links