Tense moment in Walmart today

This is a discussion on Tense moment in Walmart today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going in to pick up a few things. My Bersa Thunder 9 was holstered at 4 o'clock. Pushing the cart, someone walked in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tense moment in Walmart today

I was going in to pick up a few things. My Bersa Thunder 9 was holstered at 4 o'clock. Pushing the cart, someone walked in front of me. I veered sharply to the left, inadvertently cutting directly in front of another shopper. Without going in to detail, the shopper was your typical thug. I said "excuse me" and kept moving. Thug is off to my side walking. He was mumbling, but loud enough for me to hear. "Cut me off mf'er". "I ought to beat your XXX". I kept walking, mindful of his location. He then meets a ladie and told her "I'm about to beat that mf'ers XXX". I kept walking. I so wanted to turn around and confront him. Thanks to the valuable information that I learned in this forum, I didn't. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been had I NOT been carrying. Although, I finished shopping quickly, I stayed and browsed for another 1/2 hour. I was thinking if he was outside, he might just get tired of waiting. I'm still learning. But, anyway, thank you all again for your valuable input.

2. Remove Ads

Keeping your cool = A+

I can't imagine that idiot in a car, if that's how he react with 'shopping cart rage'.

Stay armed...always walk softly, but...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great reaction . . . never get down to their level.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Well regardless if you were carring or not, way to keep your head. You never know just what could happen in a scuffle while armed. People see a person carring a gun and getting into an altercation, you know as well as I do, most folks would probably freak out. Good Job not letting him get to you to the point that you lost your head.

Well done, the ol' just walk away tactic-sometimes the best one there is.

Joker1

You avoided unnecessary confrontation, you maintained your SA, you made an excellent on-the-spot correction to your initial plan, and posted for our benefit.

IMHO....A+
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Good job. That type of thing is particularly hard for me to deal with. My first instinct would be to ram my fist down the punk's throat, rip his guts out and wring them around his neck. As a concealed weapons carrier of course I keep those instincts in check as you did so well.

"Keep your enemy's close, after all, you made them."

Sounds kind of dumb at first. But it is good advice.

Whether you caused the situation or not, isn't the point. The point is that he has notified you that he has ill feeling toward you and yours. With that in mind, leaving the building, walking to the car, and leaving the area is now a problem of surveillance for you. Now you need to know his where-a-bouts or who his friends are (people his is hanging with in the store). Now you stand a bad chance of a confrontation when you leave, or at the next stop if followed.

We tend to feel relieved, walking out the door, reaching the car and driving off. Having been assaulted walking out of the building right after a very similar event as yours, I woke up a bloody mess after being attacked from behind. I couldn’t tell you what or whom it was that hit me.

Not only me, my family members were also attacked. While I was being worked over, they had the chance to run and it paid off for them. Luckily for my nephew, he could grab a tire iron for his defense and they left him alone.

So, whenever someone is expressing a strong feeling of resentment toward you or someone in your party, inform the management. Keep tract of that person's where-a-bouts and if at all possible ensure they have broken off the triad before walking out the door …
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have noticed that "excuse me" is not as polite as you would think. I have bumped into, cut in front of, etc. a few people in my life, and saying excuse me doesn't seem to work. I think what it is, is that to them saying "excuse me" may imply they are at fault, and you are saying it that way. Of course that is usually not the issue with a normal "excuse me", but depending on the person, they can take it that way. I have come to learn to say "I'm sorry" (or my bad) if I do something like that from now on.

Of course him being a thugish gang banger looking person, anything you said probably would not have helped..

"Cut me off mf'er". "I ought to beat your XXX". I kept walking, mindful of his location. He then meets a ladie and told her "I'm about to beat that mf'ers XXX".
    That's the sort of chest-pounder thug that gets found toes-up in the gutter, someday. He's worth your paying attention to, in case he blows sideways in your vicinity, but he's not worth engaging.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Very good judgment! At times like that its hard to remember as concealed carriers of deadly force we are charged with the greater burden. Well done!

Administrator
    You did great.

There is no denying the fact that it is mighty tough to "rein it in" and keep thyself in control sometimes because there are some truly obnoxious immature asshats wandering around out there in the real world.

It's very unwise to escalate any potential situation that could turn violent when you are armed.
    You did everything right and nothing wrong.

Go home and punch a wall.
    You might go to the Emergency Room for broken fingers but, that is better than going into the Court Room for a broken life over a shopping cart incident.

Weak Hand

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You did great.

Go home and punch a wall.
    You might go to the Emergency Room for broken fingers but, that is better than going into the Court Room for a broken life over a shopping cart incident.
    But use your weak hand in case you do break something.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Avoiding a problem is the best defense method. If you can avoid trouble why stoop to their level and go looking for it. Glad it turned out ok for you and you kept your cool. Good job A+
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

Remember there are cameras everywhere. Let him throw the first punch.

That way when you draw, and ram you gun in his mouth, and break his teeth, nobody will blame you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links