Bad situation that could have been worse.

This is a discussion on Bad situation that could have been worse. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only real problem I have with your actions was allowing them to follow you home, everything past that you handled great. You should have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad situation that could have been worse.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    The only real problem I have with your actions was allowing them to follow you home, everything past that you handled great.

You should have called the police when you suspected you were being followed. Also know the neighborhoods in the area, which ones have multiple entrances, and which ones only have 1 entrance (trapped). I'll veer off into an open neighborhood if I see someone following from my busy workplace to my common residential area just to be sure.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot911 View Post
    As I said, this all started from a party. These were not criminals, just a bunch of drunk and stupid people. When they saw that muzzle leveled at them and the fact that I was about to blow them straight to h---, they became very cooperative.

I agreed to let them off with replacing my front door and community service.

They were happy to comply.

Had these been other than drunks from a party gone bad, the results would have been much harder to clean up.
    Eventhough you would've been justified in shooting I admire your restraint and respect your fortitude.

Biker

I am glad that no one was hurt.
    Doc

This is one of those it happened to me scenarios:
    It was late, and I needed gas for the car so I pulled in to gas up the car. It was not in the safest area of town but by no means the worst. I had my daughter in the car (14Yoa) w/doors locked. I was just putting my debit card into the pump and up comes walking a man in ratty closes walking toward me quickly and when he was by my front tire I instinctively shouted to him "If you take one more step toward me, I will shoot you". You see this happened so fast and I was preoccupied with paying at the pump and having my daughter with me, and the area I happened to be in that I was on an instinctive alert, and as I caught movement from the corner of my eye, my one hand dropped into my pocket and I grabbed the handle of the S&W 642 with safety #1 engaged. So as this person entered my space in a threatening manner out came those words with force and meaning. He stopped dead in his tracks and started back peddling as fast as he could and left. He could have been someone just wanting some change, a car-jack or a murderer; all I know was a real felt threat to my self and/or daughter. I know practicing with dummy loads(snapper capps) for fast drawing your weapon from concealment is very crucial as well as spending time at the shooting range as well as being mentally ready to defend yourself and or family. I know that I can choose the time to practice but the bad situation that could have been worse could choose you at any time so it is best to be prepared. Louis Pasture wrote, “that in the fields of observation, Chance favors the prepared mind". I do thank GOD that no one was hurt. When I got in my car to leave, my daughter asked what had happened. She double checked that the doors were locked as she saw this man moving toward me quickly and wandered what I said, because his hand went up showing his palm and backing up fast and then leaving. What a lessen to share with my daughter on the way home on how we need to be aware of our surroundings and know that bad situations can happen without any notice.

I hope you may learn from my story,

Doc
    Doc

Good story. Id say you handled it really well. Congrats.

Thanks. I had a cool head during the moment, but dealt with the emotional roller-coaster later after I was safe at home. (Praying and giving thanks to God has helped me deal with intense situations so I do not have emotional scars)
    Doc

Hindsight

The situation happened over twenty years ago. I was still active duty in the Navy and stationed in Connecticut.

Connecticut does have laws against impersonating a police officer and the Deputy pointed out to them that he could arrest them for that.

Oh, I keep referring to him as a Deputy. In Connecticut they were called Constables.

In my lessons learned comments I said "Take the extra time to make sure your not being followed." Since then, no matter how distracted I am, I make unnecessary turns and double backs if I think I'm being followed.

We were lucky in many respects. Training and self control helped a lot. My late first wife was a former law enforcement officer. She passed away a few years ago. She was behind me, armed with her .357 magnum and calmly communicating with the dispatcher, the whole time. When I listened to the tape, it was like listened to someone telling a story. She was clear and unemotional. There is no doubt in my mind, had she needed to, she would have popped all three of them with blinking.

Doc,

I am glad your situation was a good lesson for your daughter and not something much worse.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

Training and self control helped a lot.
    I think your example best exemplifies this.

I am sorry for the loss of your wife. I know that mine is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I don't know how I got so lucky.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Sounds like you did the exactly right thing. While you may have been totally justified in shooting them, it's way better that you didn't. It is really lucky that you were the one your friend called to pick her up as things may have not worked out so well if someone else did.

I must say I'm a bit disturbed at the number of posts where people seem almost eager to pull the trigger on someone. Alcohol can really mess peoples judgement up pretty severely and while shooting a couple drunk partiers braking into your house may be totally justifiable, it's not necessarily the right course of action. I'm sure that this incident was a real wake up call to those boys and they're probably better members of society for it.

Brains before bullets!
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    Good job.

Shoot gun is your best friend in the house!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

A couple years ago a buddies daughter went to a college party and everyone was drinking to excess as college types are wont to do. When she felt "endangered" instead of calling for someone that would come get her she tried to leave on her own and was stopped by some of the "harmless drunks" at the party. Well these harmless drunks had slipped her a "Ruffie" and she woke up in the basement, naked and gang raped.

Those "harmless drunks" could well have been pissed you snatched thier toy for the night away from them and were looking to get her back for their little party.

I have had 2 buddies murdered and one's daughter gang raped, those that put me in justified position will get no favors.

Please understand, I did not and do not consider them "harmless drunks"

I would have spattered them without hesitation, if I had needed to. The point is, I did not need to.

They were drunk, they were doing things they should not have done. They may have done much worse things had they not been stopped.

When she called me she was being taunted into drinking and she knew she could not hold her alcohol. She was afraid of losing control. She could have just refused to drink and left. Instead she called me to come and make her decision for her. I think she was afraid they might have tried to prevent her from leaving, but no one attempted to stop me from removing her. Had some one attempted to stop us, the entire situation would have been different. They were drunk, they were loud, and they were obnoxious.

Unfortunately, one or more of them got the brilliant idea to follow me and the mob mentality took over, bad choice. They probably thought it was funny, some big game, and did not realize how far over the line they had gone. They realized it real fast when I racked that shotgun. A bucket of ice-water in the face would not have gotten a better reaction out of them. When their eyes focused on that muzzle they stopped in total disbelief. They suddenly realized they had gone way too far.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

i think you handled yourself quite well..it goes without saying things could have been MUCH worse..

my issues:
    -drunks impersonating police officers..
    -kicking in the door (don't know if I could hold back @ this point)

my question:
    -Is it against the law to answer your door with a weapon in hand and in view of the "visitor?" I obviously wouldn't do it if the police were at the door or something but just to thwart any attempts or to appear as if "you mean business" when answering the door for a regular door-knock or ring-a-ding?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links