Bad situation that could have been worse.

This is a discussion on Bad situation that could have been worse. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many years ago, a punk made a remark to my that was clearly meant to get a reaction. I ignored him and went about my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad situation that could have been worse.

Bad situation that could have been worse.

Many years ago, a punk made a remark to my that was clearly meant to get a reaction. I ignored him and went about my business. This happened while I was picking up a friend from a party. She had called and asked me to come and get her because she felt endangered. I felt uneasy and made sure that no one got close enough to present a threat. I took her to my house because she was so intoxicated she was nearly unconscious. When I got home I realized the punk a couple of his friends and had followed me home.

It was too late...

I got my friend inside and had my wife call 911 while I got my shotgun. A Remington 870 with pistol grip and extended mag and 18" barrel loaded with 00 Buck. The Punks started banging on the door and demanding I "return their friend." They covered the peep hole and identified themselves as police officers.

They had already committed enough stupid acts to warrant being removed from the gene pool in my opinion. This of course is when my friend woke up and thought she was still at the party. She started screaming, because of the pounding and yelling from the punks just outside the door.

Then they kicked in the door... and saw me about ten feet in front of them as I jacked the first if 6 rounds into the chamber!...

I have never seen three men sober up so fast...

As they paused and blinked at the muzzle leveled at them, the deputy rolled up. Fortunately, the deputy and I new each other and he did not consider me a threat. I was very careful not to sweep him with the muzzle as I lowered the shotgun. The deputy told me later, "When they dispatched me and I recognized the address, I thought I was going to walk into a pool of blood. Your wife stayed on the phone the whole time and the dispatcher was giving me updates. You would have been completely justified in splattering them all over the front porch. What kept you from shooting them?"

I said "I saw you coming into view and I could not see a weapon on them."

He could not believe I was that calm. For as calm as I seemed, I was shaking badly. The 911 tape showed from the first knock on the door til the deputy arrived was almost nine minutes. You could hear the screaming and pounding and yelling throughout the entire tape. Those were nine very long minutes.

My .45 stayed in the holster the whole time. It was my "Back-Up".

Lessons learned:

Take the extra time to make sure your not being followed.

If you keep your head, you will probably win.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Scary story, as soon as the door gave way I would have been slinging lead. Not sure I would have taken time to see what was in their hands. Glad it worked out for you though. What ever happened to the perp's?
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

man, that is scary......glad you came out okay

What happened to the perp's

As I said, this all started from a party. These were not criminals, just a bunch of drunk and stupid people. When they saw that muzzle leveled at them and the fact that I was about to blow them straight to h---, they became very cooperative.

I agreed to let them off with replacing my front door and community service.

They were happy to comply.

Had these been other than drunks from a party gone bad, the results would have been much harder to clean up.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

They would not have got a second chance once they kicked the door,I carry my shotgun with a round chambered,they committed several felonies and had you not been armed then what?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I'd probably not have put myself in that position. Maybe called the police before going over there because the lady said she was endangered.

In any case, once the door was breached by force I doubt I could have restrained myself. Of course, seeing the cops roll up had to have been a big relief and enabled you to be cool and not fire.

yea, im gonna have to say that there would have been a pile of flesh at my front door,
    BY BY BG

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Glad it turned out OK. Ya, they were stupid. Ya they were drunk. But any time you can NOT shoot someone is a good day.

I am sure these guys will sober up (allegorically speaking), see the error of their ways and now lead a life of helpfulness, honesty and good.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Wow... I really need to buy a Home Defense Shotgun.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I think you did well on all counts during the situation. It is fortunate that you didn't have to shoot them.

As for them 'just being drunks', I have no sympathy. I would have pressed charges to the maximum extent of the law. People need to learn that being drunk is not an excuse for doing whatever you want.

For all we know, the next time there will not be someone there with a shotgun and the girl will get raped. That risk is unacceptable. These 'drunks' need to be called what they are: punks and criminals. They should be in jail. Isn't impersonating a police officer with the intent to commit a crime a felony in your state?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Home defense shotguns are good. Probably the best thing for holing up in the house and covering a doorway. They can put out lead faster than most things and hit HARD.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Thanks for sharing, Patriot. that is a scary situation and it sounds like you and your wife handled it like pros. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I think you did well on all counts during the situation. It is fortunate that you didn't have to shoot them.

As for them 'just being drunks', I have no sympathy. I would have pressed charges to the maximum extent of the law. People need to learn that being drunk is not an excuse for doing whatever you want.

For all we know, the next time there will not be someone there with a shotgun and the girl will get raped. That risk is unacceptable. These 'drunks' need to be called what they are: punks and criminals. They should be in jail. Isn't impersonating a police officer with the intent to commit a crime a felony in your state?
    My sentiments exactly. A drunk is just as dangerous as a thug and both get the same treatment. If they are willing to get drunk enough to do something this time, they're going to do it again. Where there is a first, there will be a second.

That shot gun full of buckshot is a real deterrent. I'm glad you didn't shoot.These guys They were real drunk and real stupid. They might be ok people after they sober up. If they came to your house with weapons then it's a different story.
    Just the sight of a gun will stop a lot of trouble in it's tracks.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Wow, that's scary situation. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, drunk people stink.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links