Three punks looking in cars in our neighborhood

This is a discussion on Three punks looking in cars in our neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened in front of my house this morning. I am the President of our HOA and this is the information I posted on our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three punks looking in cars in our neighborhood

This happened in front of my house this morning. I am the President of our HOA and this is the information I posted on our HOA website and emailed out to the neighbors.

"At 4:43am on Monday, August 10, 2009, three young males all wearing dark clothing were observed walking northbound on S. Perth Place. Two of the males were walking on the west side of the street near the sidewalk. The other male was walking on the east side of the street near the sidewalk.

The male on the east side of the street walked close to a car parked in front of 5810 S. Perth Place. The male was observed walking past the vehicle, a white Honda Accord, then turn around and come back to the car and look inside the driver's side window. The young male was immediately confronted with the words "Hey, get away from the car." The male responded with "I thought the car was for sale and was just checking it out." The young male was responded to with "uh huh, keep moving." The male walked away from the car and continued northbound on S. Perth Place, rejoining the other two males in the middle of the street. Something was muttered like "man, I thought the car was for sale." They continued northbound on S. Perth Place till they were out of sight.

At 4:50a the Arapahoe Sheriff's Department was contacted at 303.795.4711 and the incident reported. The Sheriff's Office said they would send a patrol around the area."

P.S. I will also add, when I hollered at the one male to get away from the car, I had grabbed my NiteCore Extreme Infinity and had it trained on him while I addressed him until he started walking away.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Car shopping at almost 5 in the morning... i think not.

Buddy of mine recently had his car broken into while at work one night video shows it took the guy 4 min to break the window steal the radio and radar detector and leave.

Don't just worry about what's in the car to get stolen. A few years ago, some kids were looking in cars on our street (one was the neighbor across the street, maybe that's why I didn't confront them). A couple days later, 4 cars are broken into and vandalized (food thrown on the seats, worthless stuff stolen, etc.) but the garage door openers were stolen out of all 4 as well. The next night, one of the garages is robbed of quite a lot of valuables. I am convinced that the intent wasn't to find cars with expensive stuff, it was to find cars with garage door openers.

Police didn't even question the neighbor kid. I don't think they thought the vandalism was related to the burglary.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    ...but the garage door openers were stolen out of all 4 as well. The next night, one of the garages is robbed of quite a lot of valuables. I am convinced that the intent wasn't to find cars with expensive stuff, it was to find cars with garage door openers.
    That's why I invested in a remote garage door opener that goes on my key chain available where door openers are sold. The large ones that came with the opener are stored safely in the house. The garage is not attached to the house so no worries there. Also, I never leave anything in my car with my house address on it.

Another suggestion I have is to not program your home address into the GPS. My GPS is never left in my car, but if it's lost or my purse stolen, the "Home" address is the 14 story apartment building 1/2 mile away from my house.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    The male responded with "I thought the car was for sale and was just checking it out."
    Thieves and crooks have become cagier over the last few years. Notice this potential thief's quick cover story. No "For Sale" sign on car, parked in residential neighborhood, yet the kid covers his motives by claiming he's simply out car shopping in the wee hours of the morning in a random residential neighborhood.

Robbers now approach average citizens aggressively "asking" for (or demanding) money, then claim they are simply down on their luck and looking to buy some food for themselves and their family.

Saying "no" repeatedly is usually required for them to finally disclose their true intentions. Sadly, they use that time to close the distance and put you off-guard.

ridiculous story kid...
    some good thoughts getting mulled around in this thread..never crossed my mind about stealing openers for greater gains...

will protect myself accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    ridiculous story kid...
    some good thoughts getting mulled around in this thread..never crossed my mind about stealing openers for greater gains...

I had read about this in past posts. I have to leave my truck outside, but it has no opener in it and it has a truck cover with a lock on it.

The car is my brother in laws, who is visiting. There isn't anything to steal in the car of value and he has no garage opener in the car.

Of course I have no idea what the real intent was. One thought is the car itself, since the Honda Accord is on America's top stolen vehicles list. Another is they were just casing cars. One thing for sure is, the car is not for sale, nor has anything even remotely written or displayed on it to state otherwise. I'm just glad it was a cooler evening and I happen to wake up. A hotter night and we would have had the windows closed and I wouldn't have heard anything outside.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    Car shopping at almost 5 in the morning... i think not.
    He was looking for the early bird special!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    ridiculous story kid...

My brother's garage was invaded by an intruder who got the opener out of an unlocked car. He heard the hum of the drive chain and ran downstairs and chased the guy off. Lesson learned.

We have a lightswitch inside our kitchen that controls power to the garage door opener. At night we turn it off altogether.

Also my wife has a fancy rear view mirror that can open the garage door, so that's one less opener for a punk to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Also my wife has a fancy rear view mirror that can open the garage door, so that's one less opener for a punk to steal.
    The key to remember about systems like this (Home Link) and other manufacturer installed conveniences is, if your car is outside or gets stolen, and the perp has your home address, all he or she has to do is drive to your house and hit the garage door opener on the mirror or console.

My wife and I both have cars with this feature and we have the Home Link system programmed. (Truck is too old, it doesn't have it). We keep our cars in the garage or in secure parking while at work. Cars each have alarms in them too.

We also have a newer garage door opener that has the "roaming" code so a person cannot go buy a generic opener with programming dip-switches on it in hopes to aim the opener around the neighborhood and randomly open someone's garage.

The best thing to do though is to make sure you keep your car and house secure. Keep valuables out of site, stay alert, and stay safe.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

A $20 motion-activated sensor light works wonders. Aim the sensor head almost horizontal and two 150 Watt flood lights down on your property only. This surprisingly works wonders.

Of course, having your dog bark on command at people through the screen door also works wonders. No idea why. Do they think you're going to open the door and let the dog attack? But who cares, as long as it works. Devise a command for your dog to bark at people out front, and when you see some low-lives, give the command and chuckle as you watch the people keep moving... Knowing that these people fear and respect the power of a dog. It can't be intimidated, bargained or reasoned with.

An exterior surveillance camera also works wonders, regardless if it's recording permanently (which they'd never know).

And one last thing, and this is the (apparently) difficult one, have people remove all valuables from their vehicles. GPS, CD's, stereo face, cigarettes, loose change, bags, backpacks, all that crap. Bring it in at night, or hide it. No one breaks into an empty junker...

Best Regards,
    Ensiferum

In my younger years I was at times out and about late at night or real early in the morning after a party.

As I walked down the street I would sometimes look into vehicles. Not to see what I could steal, but rather out of curiosity. I would also look over vehicles I was interested in, or features of certain vehicles to make up my dream car.

While they may have had criminal intentions, you don't know that, as their actions and behavior gave no indication of that. I am inclined however to err on the side of caution and believe that if the opportunity had presented itself you may have been the victim of a property crime or vandalism.

My Grandmother used to say that nothing good happens after 10:00PM and when I grew older I came to understand that and realize she was most often right.

Biker

This is why I am thinking of having retinal scanners for garage door openers in my vehicles. I am also thinking about a biometric pad for additional security to enter the house.

Or maybe I will just put an "NRA" sticker on the windows of my vehicles and house to detur the BG's...that out to scare 'em!

Seriously, I do not keep my garage door opener in my truck outside (to tall to fit in my current garage) for this very reason. I really need to wire my garage door opener on a switch to disable it at night...just to easy and cheap not to.

ALSO- PLEASE READ! For those of you with external garage door opener keypads. Make sure that it is the wireless type vs the kind with two wires running into the back of it. I have personally used the second type to gain entry into a home (legally). It is EXTREMELY easy and a whopping 2 steps... 1) rip panel of wall 2) touch both wires together and door opens.

I am sure that I am not tipping off any bad guys as most most likely already know this. A friend of mine owns a garage door company and sells lots of the remote touch pads (work just like you regular opener but with a security code) and many are to replace the other type when ripped off the walls by the BG.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Another suggestion I have is to not program your home address into the GPS. My GPS is never left in my car, but if it's lost or my purse stolen, the "Home" address is the 14 story apartment building 1/2 mile away from my house.
    Excellent suggestion. I have thought about what would happen if I was, say, at a ball game (or something leaving me occupied for several hours) and my car was robbed/stolen with the GPS inside. The thieves would be reasonably certain they had several hours to clean out the house before I realized anything was wrong. My "Home" address is programmed to the local ice cream place about 1/2 mile away.

Anyway, I hope my neighbors are as vigilant as you are. Sounds like a nice save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links