Attacked With Blow Gun Darts - What Do U Do?

This is a discussion on Attacked With Blow Gun Darts - What Do U Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is one to make you put your thinking cap on. I like to post these strange actual rather than fictitious scenarios every once in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attacked With Blow Gun Darts - What Do U Do?

Administrator

Here is one to make you put your thinking cap on.

I like to post these strange actual rather than fictitious scenarios every once in a while.

Here is what we know from reading the story below.
    All of those that were shot survived. BUT, depending on where exactly you were hit - there is a remote possibility that you may not. I'm best guessing that any dart that could penetrate 2" into a thigh muscle could possibly pass between ribs and penetrate the heart. Also and obviously a hit to the eye and it's likely that you'll be blinded in that eye.
    We also (according to the info provided below) do not know if the blow gun shooter "tipped" his darts with anything possibly poisonous or infectious.

Do you respond with deadly force. As far as I know there is no existing legal precedent set for responding to a dart attack with deadly force.

Four Hit With Blow Darts in Delaware
    AOL News

filed under: Crime News, National News

(Aug. 12) -- Authorities in Delaware are investigating a recent series of blow dart attacks in which four people have been injured.
    One official described the attacks as "a scene from an Indiana Jones movie."

The first report came Tuesday morning from cyclist Dan Wilson, who said he was shot in the thigh with a dart while riding his bike, according to a report from NBC Philadelphia.

Wilson was not badly hurt, but said the dart was lodged over two inches into his leg.

After hearing reports of Wilson's attack, a woman came forward to say she was hit in the neck with a blow dart while biking on Monday.

Both Wilson and the woman said they noticed a white pickup truck driving by at the time of the incidents.

The case grew stranger Wednesday with the report of two more blow dart attack victims.
    One of the victims, a 17-year-old, was hit in the hand and the injury will require surgery, WPVI-TV reported.

WPVI reported the fourth person had been hit by a blow dart, but did not have further details on the incident.
    Both of the latter attacks allegedly occurred before Wilson was shot, but the victims only came forward after seeing news reports on the incident.

"This has to be one of the strangest incidents of late and in the years I've been a state trooper I've never seen anything like this," Jeffrey Whitmarsh, of the Delaware State Police, said.
    Police are investigating but have few suspects or leads in the case.

VIP Member
    A blow dart device can be lethal so if one was pointed at me and I had no other recourse, I would shoot.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I don't care whether they attack me with a blowgun, weed whacker, 2x4, or a sock full of rocks. Attack with a weapon = bang bang bang...

However, it sounds like these were more or less random attacks. If someone wants to hit you and runs away afterward, you can't do a whole lot about it. I certainly wouldn't shoot someone in the back after they attacked me, even if they had it coming.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to get hit with one that had been smeared with feces or infected blood.
    The potential for lethality is there, and so is the potential for shooting back.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

What kind of twisted individual is using a blow gun to shoot darts (tipped with something?) at people out on the street? There is no shortage of 'crazies' roaming our streets. Now that this has happened several times to various individuals, this goes way beyond some 'dare' or 'prank'.
    A weapon is a weapon...

You try 'blowing' a dart at me, you may find me 'blowing' lead back at ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Deadly weapon. Respond accordingly.

Administrator
    Well, it looks like some of those broadhead hunting type darts with the bladed tips could do some cutting damage to an artery. A neck shot could be quite serious.

The paintball gun attacks were vogue with the sicko crowd for a while - this one is a brand new wrinkle on attacking completely innocent people for no reason at all.

If they are tipped with poison could be fatal,I would shoot to stop the threat,I would bet money it's some stupid punks thinking its funny,til somebody gets killed and then they are facing murder charges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I don't care whether they attack me with a blowgun, weed whacker, 2x4, or a sock full of rocks. Attack with a weapon = bang bang bang...
    a sock full of peas = bang bang
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Hopefully there won't be a bunch of copy cat attacks now. A blow gun is a deadly weapon, they are used for hunting and for protection in some parts of the world. IMO an attack with a blow gun is an attack with a lethal weapon and should be dealt with as such.

Obviously circumstance specific, but given the extreme limitation of in effective range of a blowgun, I'd likely simply move outside of effective range and dial 911.

Just because you can respond with deadly force, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member

Last resort

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Obviously circumstance specific, but given the extreme limitation of in effective range of a blowgun, I'd likely simply move outside of effective range and dial 911.

Just because you can respond with deadly force, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Lethal force is the last resort.

That said, I bet the folks hurt never quite knew what was happening until they were hit. Even if armed, there was nothing much they could do.

Drive by "shooting" are hard to deal with. They come out of nowhere and are gone before you can react, assuming you aren't harmed enough to prevent reaction. It would be no different if they threw a knife.

Use of deadly force to defend yourself against deadly force or great bodily harm.

An eye shot would certainly fall under the potential for 'great bodily harm' and you don't know where that shot is going to hit until it's too late. And as another has posted, who knows what those darts are tipped with.

If I could remove myself from the situation, I would. If I could not, I would defend myself to the degree possible. Same as any other defensive situation.

If you live in an area where defending yourself is likely to land you in hot water, find a way to get out of that situation too. It's one of the reasons I left PR of NJ for a free state.

jbs
    i had the short, low power, blowgun when I was a kid. It would put a dart through a 3/4" piece of plywood at 50 feet. Accurate as hell too.
    Deadly weapon.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

It's a good thing Va. just got reciprocity with Delaware.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links