Very angry, unarmed person in parking lot

Very angry, unarmed person in parking lot

This is a discussion on Very angry, unarmed person in parking lot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. This is my first post. I was coming home from work last night, 11:30PM. I stopped at a grocery store to get food for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Very angry, unarmed person in parking lot

Hello. This is my first post. I was coming home from work last night, 11:30PM. I stopped at a grocery store to get food for the next day. When I parked, I noticed a guy two spots in front of me lying under his car doing some kind of repair I guess. My car's headlights turn off ten seconds after leaving the car. I just start walking toward the store's entrance which is about 200 feet away when this VERY mad guy says, "TURN OFF THOSE G-D LIGHTS!!" I said they are automatic and about that time, they turned off. He starts cussing and swearing and saying that he wanted to fight! I'm a pretty big guy and I think I could have beat him but what if during the fight, he got ahold of MY firearm? Not to mention that in my CCW class we were told to ALWAYS try to retreat? This SOB kept on calling me all kinds of names and to be honest, I was getting embarrased by the people watching! This guy wanted nothing more than to get into a fight! I said that I am armed and I told him I am walking away! He then says, "That's it!" And then he followed me into the store. The manager asked what was going on and I told him that the guy was being an idiot and wanted to fight. I did not notice, but there was a cop at a nearby intersection that saw this guy and while I was in the store, they caught him at the entrance and talked to him. A 6 x 8 prison cell kept telling me don't draw! I am really confused on this one and ANY help would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I would have ignored his first GD request...that language alone is worth ignoring.
    I would have kept on with my personal business...I would not engage, not even with eye contact.
    If he came into the store after me, after I had said nothing...well, that might be considered an attack in front of cameras and witnesses.

I would, at that point, advise him that I think he has me confused with someone else and he needs to leave me alone or the police will be called. If he continues ranting or possibly touches me in any way...different ball game.

Stay armed...be alert, but ignore loud mouths...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    First of all, welcome to DC.

secondly, you did pretty much what I would, save for one little detail. I would have totally walked away from that guy, but I don't know that I would have audibly told him I was armed. If he advanced, I would have at that point swept and potentially drew while saying VERY loudly and sternly to stay where he was and come no closer.

I'm glad you're ok. Welcome again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Welcome. Id say you did good. No reason to be embarrased by an idiot. You were the better man.

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    You did pretty much the right thing, by the book.

He's alive, and he probably already forgot about his asinine behavior. The guy was probably having a real bad day.

You still have your gun and you don't have a legal bill to pay.

The advice given above is all good, IMHO.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your encounter, it takes a bigger man to suck it up and walk away. Don't let someones words draw you down to their level. As already mentioned, ignore the idiot but keep your awareness level high.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

I would have ignored his first GD request...that language alone is worth ignoring.
    I would have kept on with my personal business...I would not engage, not even with eye contact.
    If he came into the store after me, after I had said nothing...well, that might be considered an attack in front of cameras and witnesses.

I would, at that point, advise him that I think he has me confused with someone else and he needs to leave me alone or the police will be called. If he continues ranting or possibly touches me in any way...different ball game.

Stay armed...be alert, but ignore loud mouths...stay safe!

ret
    Excellent advice! Aviod any kind of escalation, that way you keep your SD opitions in play.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

As you carry you'll learn to swallow your pride,I know hard to do but it's a must. You did great Stay safe H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I am new so I am not sure of what I am doing as far as posting goes. I did want to say thank you to all for answering my question so fast! This is my first day here and I feel like I have met some GREAT friends! Thank you all very much.

VIP Member
    You probably couldn't help getting into the situation you were in, but first rule of SD is to not be out in parking lots near midnight.

Other than that issue, it sounds like it went about as good as it possibly could have gone, except for announcing that you are armed. Better maybe to just keep walking away, perhaps backward so you can keep him in your sight and with your arms down at your side so it doesn't look like you are in a fighting stance. That way you are a quick grab from the IWB because your hands are already low. If he gets too close you can yell stop get back and if he advances you still have the option to run like heck. If he chases you, games on, use physical force or lethal force as seems necessary.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum...

I have to agree that it sounds like you handled yourself well. In hindsight, announcing that you were armed was probably not the best idea. If the situation had escalated to the point where you had to use your weapon, your announcement could have turned you into the agressor in the eyes of the local DA.
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard Drakkor!

First, I think you did the right thing and it's always good to remember, your weapon is for protection form imminent death or severe bodily harm only... never to warn, threaten or scare. I would not have announced "I'm armed" personally. If the BG was also armed, you could have immediately escalated the situation instead of defusing it. Also, you just gave away your tactical advantage.

Some here carry pepper spray as a tool in their arsenal, others rely on their "verbal judo". You'll get a lot of good information here and then you'll have to decide what works for you.

Carrying a deadly weapon places a lot of responsibility on the carrier and often times, backing down or even fleeing a situation may make you look like a coward but that just goes with the territory. You know you're not and that's all that matters... well, that and NOT getting in to a gun fight!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    In hindsight, announcing that you were armed was probably not the best idea.
    I agree with Orangevol and others that have mentioned it --- telling a BG you are armed is NOT a good idea. The only time they should know you are armed is when the SHTF and they are looking down the barrel of your firearm right before it goes "bang."

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you here. You had a very good encounter to post about and I think you handled yourself pretty well.

I think you've received some pretty good recommendations, especially about keeping the fact that you are armed secret! It is your "ace in the hole," and to announce it is giving up a huge tactical advantage.

You mentioned what would have happened if "he got a hold of your gun?"

Look, bottom line is that everyone has their own level or perception of what they are willing to do to invest in advanced levels of training and what kind of commitment they are willing to make.

For some, it's little more than the required stuff their state has to obtain their CCW permit and no more. For others, they seek out as much additional training as they can possibly afford and sometimes even go into debt to attend a certain defensive shooting school or attend some other shooting program.

The more you know, the more options you have. It doesn't get any simpler than that. Some people know more than others and would stand a better chance of surviving not just the initial attack, but also the legal aftermath.

One thing I always recommend to people who carry a gun for protection is to attend at least some program which teaches some amount of weapon retention. If you are ever in a scuffle which does not rise to the use of deadly force, and someone sees your gun and attempts to take it, you will have the ability to counter that gun grab attempt and maintain control of your weapon.

Some folks think that kind of training isn't necessary because any verbal or physical altercation they get in, whether the attacker is armed or not, they are gonna shoot them.

That's fine... to each their own, I say.

However, I believe at the very least, strive to attend at least one advance level defensive shooting program at some point down the road. What you learn can not only save your life, but keep you out of prison as well.

Again, I think you handled yourself just fine! People threw out a few pointers to consider and that's that.

Welcome and I hope you become an active member and stay with us here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I recommend carrying pepper spray, as that would be a good distractor should the fellow have moved quickly towards you. And +1 on keeping quiet about carrying.

Note: I'm a big, tough, well-armed 6' 4" 400-pound gorilla... who, if possible, is going to run like a little girl rather than get my rear into legal hot water (aside from worse consequences).

OK. forget the "tough" part and substitute "well-padded", and I may waddle more than run, but you get the idea. I'm secure in who I am, and his insults say a LOT more about him to bystanders than they say about me. I can take that sort of heat.

Welcome to the forum!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links