Attacked by a KID!

This is a discussion on Attacked by a KID! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was inspired by some recent events involving minors to consider self defense in response to an attack/threat by a kid. You can actually invent ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a KID!

Attacked by a KID!

I was inspired by some recent events involving minors to consider self defense in response to an attack/threat by a kid.

You can actually invent the scenario, but answer with the following factors accounted for - The Perp is OBVIOUSLY a MINOR.

What would you do? If age effects your response, how, and what ages?

Edit- There is a weapon
    Live Free or Die

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Attacks how? Age matters for nothing to me, intent if a weapon is used will determine my use of force.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Age matters not to me either....my ex once witnessed a boy probably less than 14 years old assist an older (probably a teen too) boy rob a woman in broad daylight at a traffic light in Puerto Rico. The young'un evildoer at one point wielded the older guy's long-barreled revolver as they made their getaway.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    We should have learned a long time ago that depending on the weapon and circumstances a 10 year old can kill you just as dead as a 30 year old. In some instances, the 10 year old will even kill you faster, since they might not fully realize the end results of their actions.

One guys opinion.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Depends on the weapon.

Josh <><

I agree with what rstickle said, Its a good opinion.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    The child likely won't have response time(lack of training) as an adult. I would DEFINITELY move and try a non-lethal shot first, if possible and practical.

It would absolutely break my heart to kill a child, but if said child is harming others, he's a goner.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I would hate to shoot a child as I would hate to HAVE to shoot anybody...but if it is an obvious situation where his/her intent is to injure/kill mysef or those around me...then I wouldn't think twice. I'm sure that the end result to this scenerio would not be without excessive recourse from the press, media, etc.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I don't ever want to shoot anyone but a threat is a threat regardless of package size and will be dealt with accordingly.

We humans are hardwired to not kill kids. It would be really hard to be faced with something like that, I am not sure at all what I would do. It would obviously be dependent on a million different factors.

Suffice it to say, a kid would get some additional consideration that an adult would not, for me. I'm just built that way.

Kid shootings

Here in south-central PA, a middle school principal was killed by a skinny 14-year-old. In fact, I believe that most of the school shootings were done by children younger than 16.

In Gettysburg, PA the other day, a GUN SHOP owner was shot by a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old. They apparently got the jump on him and shot him 3 times with a .22 - in broad daylight. He was in serious condition, but I am unable to find any updated information on him. Police caught the teens when they crashed their getaway car.

I might hesitate if it's a kid - I just pray I wouldn't hesitate too long. You'd definitely be crucified in the media and probably sued by his mama, who'll say he was such a sweet darling boy who would never hurt a fly.

the man who drew his gun to stop the shooter in the Tacoma mall here in washington didn't shoot cause the bg was a kid and the man got shot. People should remember the wars. many good men died in Viet Namcil;led by children less then 12 years old. Age makes no difference, you still end up dead if you don't act.

VIP Member
    I think the hesitation factor may naturally be there, since kids are supposed to be subordinate to adults, and we are supposed to be the protectors of children. But if one is bent on killing me, I hope that hesitation factor goes out the window and I do what I have to to stay alive.

I do agree that kids can be just as, or even more, dangerous than an adult, because of their youth and inexperience in dealing with consequences.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

A friend who spent significant time overseas responded to a similar question by his girlfriend at the time:"4, 14, or 40. If it has a gun, and its pointed anywhere near me- its gonna die..."

As a society, we have raised roughly 3 generations that have no familial hierarchy (ie, that is why they function with the gang sub culture), they are accustomed to instant gratification, have an exaggerated sense of self-worth, and are isolated from any "pro"active society (gangs are reactive- their efforts are in response to activities by other gangs, LE, etc., and the do not seek the advancement of the individual.) The weapon imparts the ability, be it a gun, knife, club, etc.. React accordingly.

can you say oleo capsicum pepper spray ? I can

don't let disparity of force expose you to a lawsuit
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links