When will the bombings start here?

This is a discussion on When will the bombings start here? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope and pray that waves of suicide and car bombs that happened in Iraq today (Wed. 8/19) don't happen here. Unfortunately ....there are so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will the bombings start here?

I hope and pray that waves of suicide and car bombs that happened in Iraq today (Wed. 8/19) don't happen here. Unfortunately ....there are so many people in this country that hate us, and at the same time bleed us of our money, milk and honey, that bad things like bombings by extremeist hate groups may be inevitable.

I carry a P3AT, but I've seriously considered getting something bigger or more powerful in case I ever run into a scenario where some terrorist type person decides he wants to hurt innocent americans enmasse. I'm not sure what the chances are of me being caught up in that type of scenario .... maybe slim and none. If it does happen, I've wondered what different scenarios would occur and how I would stop it. It would most likely happen where large groups of adults and children congregate .... Movie theatres, Malls, and a plethora of other soft targets too many to mention.

George Bush said after the twin tower plane bombings that all of us were on the front line to be vigilant and to help prevent this type of thing from happening again. That statement stuck with me ..... that all of us who carry are definitely on the front line to protect our familiy members from harm, and to stop serious physical or bodily harm from happen to us, or families and those around us. I'm not sure if I want to go to a revolver or a small auto for better stopping ability. A large capacity auto give more firepower, but I lose the concealibility issue in the late spring, summer and early fall here in Hot and Humid Ohio.

What kind of shooting practice should you do for an area crowded with people type scenario? Head shots would be almost a must as suicide bombers strap bomb vests around the upper torso. What is the better round that will penetrate deep into the skull that will instantly incapacitate? I know a shot to the maxillary on the front of the face is a police snipers most favorite target, as the bullet severs the brain stem and a hostage holder cannot pull the trigger. What about a terrorist walking thru a mall with a high cap rifle or pistol ??

Alot to think about and how to handle something like this if faced with this type of reality ..... If you run to call the police and the terrorist kills many .... what if you could have stopped him/them first ???

Ohio Rusty ><>

2. Remove Ads

jbs
    What kind of practice....pulling out the phone and dialing 9 1 1. You are not SS, FBI, CIA, etc.
    What if your actions pulling out a gun and shooting triggered the supposed terrorist to explode, or if there were more with him that were also loaded.

Protect yourself and loved ones, not the world. That's what police are paid for.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Your talking about playing wanna be cop,we got CHL's for personal defense ,not so we could slip on spandex undies and go stand on a street corner trying to pick out suspicious people.IF a suicide bomber wants to take out a buncha people your first clue will probably be a loud explosion.How are you going to defend against that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What kind of shooting practice should you do for an area crowded with people type scenario? Head shots would be almost a must as suicide bombers strap bomb vests around the upper torso. What is the better round that will penetrate deep into the skull that will instantly incapacitate? I know a shot to the maxillary on the front of the face is a police snipers most favorite target, as the bullet severs the brain stem and a hostage holder cannot pull the trigger. What about a terrorist walking thru a mall with a high cap rifle or pistol ??
    What you should do is join the Army or Marine corp,they will give you all the training you need and lots of food ammo and water,they will also fly you to beautiful Afghanistan where you can protect your family and friends before they get over here.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You always need to be on guard for suspicious activity. If somebody drops a loaded down vehicle off at the front of the mall and takes off running, I'd be more than a little concerned. However, past notifying the appropriate authorities, being alert and paying attention to detail is the best action.

As far as a terrorist running through the mall with a rifle or pistol...that happens already. Not to be a victim and to protect their family is why most people carry.

I gather the concensus is if we can stop someone before the kaboom happens, or you are caught in the mall and someone starts shooting people like what happened at the Trolley Mall in Utah or the Westroads Mall in Omaha ... we are not to do anything but run away and call 911???
    What about your family still in the mall ?? I realize we are not here to save the world .... none of us can save the world .... and very few of us are cops, or have a cop close at hand when seconds are counting down. But we all live in a little piece of it filled with bad people that want to intentionally hurt us ...
    And Dukalmighty ... Army ... been there ...done that ... 1973-1976. Too old and slow now to play armyman .....
    Ohio Rusty ><>

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    What kind of shooting practice should you do for an area crowded with people type scenario?
    Actually there is nothing you can do about a situation like a suicide bomber. You won't even know he's there until the explosion. If your in the immediate blast area you'll probably be dead before you know a bomb went off. Suicide bombers don't announce they are getting ready to detonate themselves, they just do it. Doesn't matter if your carrying a .22 or a .50AE your not going to stop someone who is determined.

Where are you anyway? I'm trying to get bombed here right now................but it aint working. It never does. It's been a long time since I got really bombed.
    My apologies for inciting humor here.....I just felt the need.

Q. Where would you shoot a suicide bomber in the midst of a crowd to make sure he doesn't trip the switch?
    A. The left eye if he's holding the switch in the right hand. Remember that.

jbs
    If someone starts shooting people in a mall is a dif. scenario, but, I would really hate being one of the people you accidentally shoot as the mob is running through the mall to get away.
    If you're far enough to take cover, do it, call 911, observe. If your family is with you, get them to cover. If they are elsewhere in the mall, hopefully they won't be running toward the gunfire. If you have a clear shot with nothing in the way or in back of the target, then take it, but you better be accurate and unload till the BG is down and out.
    A bomb...run, cause cover prob wont do you any good and you'll be lucky if your able to run far enough.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

They Already Have

I don't know if you've read the papers in the last 25 years but there was the Oklahoma City bombing (nice white boys) and several Bubba bombings of everything from abortion clinics to the World's Fair. I'm not mentioning assassinations with small arms. Then there's 9/11....

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    If someone starts shooting people in a mall is a dif. scenario, but, I would really hate being one of the people you accidentally shoot as the mob is running through the mall to get away.
    If you're far enough to take cover, do it, call 911, observe. If your family is with you, get them to cover. If they are elsewhere in the mall, hopefully they won't be running toward the gunfire. If you have a clear shot with nothing in the way or in back of the target, then take it, but you better be accurate and unload till the BG is down and out.
    A bomb...run, cause cover prob wont do you any good and you'll be lucky if your able to run far enough.
    hrm...Remembering my basic physics here... I'm thinking you're not going to outrun a bomb...SOL. I'm guessing your best bet is to drop to your face on the floor and try to cover the sides of your face and head with your arms as best you can...particularly if there's a few people between you and him/her. I would think the bulk of the blast will be above floor level and would deteriorate as the shockwave plows through the surrounding crowd... But that's just me
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

don't forget the jihadist who shot up the El Al ticket counter at LAX, the jihadist who killed the army recruiter just a few months ago, the jihadists who were foiled trying to attack Fort Dix, the jihadist who wanted to discharge hand grenades in a Rockford, IL shopping mall in December 2006. And the shoe bomber who was stopped by passengers on the plane. I'm not saying these can be stopped with ccw's, and certainly not saying we are leo's or Jack Bauers. Our duty is to protect ourselves and family, call it in, be a good witness, and let LEO's do their job. But I am saying terrorism, even of the small-beans variety, is already here.

A year or two ago my brother and I met for lunch at a sidewalk cafe in Virginia. There was a wrought-iron fence around the cafe perimeter. A scruffy looking guy is pacing around back and forth somewhat suspiciously on the outside of the fence. He is carrying a large heavy duffel bag. He discretely puts the bag down and then starts walking away briskly. My brother and I were alarmed and my brother stands up and says loudly to the guy, "Hey sir, is your bag going to blow up?" The guy turns around, grabs the bag and then scampers off saying nothing. Probably he made an honest mistake but it scared us. But had I been a ccw'er then, if I had tried to play super hero I'd be in a world of deep doodoo, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    I don't know if you've read the papers in the last 25 years but there was the Oklahoma City bombing (nice white boys) and several Bubba bombings of everything from abortion clinics to the World's Fair. I'm not mentioning assassinations with small arms. Then there's 9/11....

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Q. Where would you shoot a suicide bomber in the midst of a crowd to make sure he doesn't trip the switch?
    A. The left eye if he's holding the switch in the right hand. Remember that.
    No thanks. He would have to be 10 yards or closer for my skills to assure a shot like that and even then, good chance I might miss.

I'm not saying that specific shot can't be done with a pistol. I just don't think it would be by me. I can hit the 12" paper target at 25 yards. At 10, I can hit the bullseye mostly (mostly).

Hell if he's that close, I'm screwed anyway. Might as well empty my clip at his cranium. 1 of the 12 should do something positive (I'm hoping).
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Yeah, the Weathermen were certainly some good conservative Bubba types. ALF and ELF are also nice white boys, although I don't think those are the type of bombing white boys to which you are referring.

The DC Sniper, too. Solid militiaman, that guy.

Getting a larger sidearm is a good idea, for 'personal' protection.

I would not get involved in a terrorist scenario if at all possible. I would want to make an exit to 'stage left' ASAP.

Crowded scenarios are a big problem, that's why they have '911', just be a good witness. If you are directly confronted, then it becomes a new ballgame, but I definitely prefer no involvement.
    I'm not a cop, I'm too old for getting into a brawl...I'll take the sidelines and make a full report to the 911 operator.

When the adrenaline is flowing I'd forget about the 'head shot' and think more about the hitting the 'side of the barn' shot...if forced into a situation.

Stay armed...make sure it's not a fair fight...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links