A new way of life....

A new way of life....

This is a discussion on A new way of life.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm still waiting for the mail to come with my cc permit....But while I'm doing that I have been reading all these posts for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A new way of life....

So I'm still waiting for the mail to come with my cc permit....But while I'm doing that I have been reading all these posts for about the last week and have really been learning alot...Everything from when to face a threat and when to back down....from Home security and home defense...Which I might add I am currently taking long hard look at and wondering why I have been so lax.....I am starting to view things in a whole different light now....I mean i have a wife and 4 kids to protect.......So correct me if I'm wrong but this whole Defensive Carry and Lets call it Defensive living is actually a way of life.......I find myself looking at things differently now always aware and trying to be always prepared.......I like the new me...And the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum has and will be very beneficial.....I just wanted to say thanks and soon I will be one of the sheepdogs and proud of it.....

We all learn here...constantly.
    The important thing is your new awareness, and that is a BIG part of SD/HD.

Stay armed...keep reading and get into an extended SD pistol course...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You have an excellent foundation in understanding it is a way of life & not jsut something you do sometimes.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teccles View Post
    So I'm still waiting for the mail to come with my cc permit....But while I'm doing that I have been reading all these posts for about the last week and have really been learning alot...Everything from when to face a threat and when to back down....from Home security and home defense...Which I might add I am currently taking long hard look at and wondering why I have been so lax.....I am starting to view things in a whole different light now....I mean i have a wife and 4 kids to protect.......So correct me if I'm wrong but this whole Defensive Carry and Lets call it Defensive living is actually a way of life.......I find myself looking at things differently now always aware and trying to be always prepared.......I like the new me...And the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum has and will be very beneficial.....I just wanted to say thanks and soon I will be one of the sheepdogs and proud of it.....
    You are absolutely correct. defensive carry/living is a way of life. I don't think anyone who takes the time to analyze the threat to their own and families safety in this day and age can ever go back to being a sheep. Congratulations on making the move.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I couldn't have said it better Teccles. Welcome to the pack!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The same thing happened to me. Reading this site has been an eye opener for me. I learn something valuable almost every day. I know it takes time for those with knowledge to pass it on. I appreciate it. More so since I cannot really contribute much knowledge myself. No first hand knowledge in recent decades.

Between LEO's Military,Lawyers,mechanics,bunnys,the wealth of knowledge and scenarios posted on here is so much more than you will get in a Concealed permit class
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes, your eyes open a little wider, dart back and forth a little quicker, you see things a little differently. That old Marvel comic book series "What If?" comes to mind. Looking for cover and concealment everywhere you go, checking your surroundings in parking lots...the list goes on and on.

I've even noticed my temper is more under control than it used to be, I've changed for the better.

Congrats on starting to mature and take on the responsibility of protecting your loved ones.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

"... a new way of life..."

Yeah man, you got it. Nothing's the same anymore. Let's hope it never goes back to the way it was before.

Once you start CC you really don't see things the same. Ever since I received my permit I'm more careful how I see my surroundings. I find myself looking for the safer places to be in my daily travels. I'm also more aware of my immediate surroundings as well. It's as if I can't really take my personal safety for granted. Now I'm always to some degree scanning my surroundings for possible bad situations.

It was so much easier when I didn't have a CCW permit. Now I have to be that much more aware of a great many things.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Outstanding analysis Teccles and welcome to Defensive Carry!

I tell people often... Survival is a very personal concept. By that, I mean, it all depends on how much you want to invest in your own personal survival, or that of your family.

For anyone who is serious about carrying a gun for self defense, we quickly realize that carrying a gun, does in fact become a "way of life." It shouldn't be something done on a casual basis.

To quote a world renowned defensive trainer, Clint Smith... "Carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable!"

In other words, when the hunk of steel starts digging in your side and weighing you down, we put up with it because we know... we know, that the when the chips are down and death is very real and imminent, and what you need is the immediate access to a gun to save your life, right here and right now... there really is no substitute.

And so, we ignore the discomfort, we ignore the burden, we ignore the fact that the clothes we wear to conceal our "emergency life saving tool" may not be fashionable or the latest designer outfit, and we choose carry the gun anyway.

Welcome to the forum... I hope you find this to be a great place to hang out, learn and share with others as we do!

Great post btw... I think your head is in the right place!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I got my PA LTCF when I was 22 years old (I'm almost 29 now), and I will say that very few things in my life have had as much of a positive and healthy impact on the way I go about conducting myself in society, as getting that permit and deciding to carry daily.

It just opens your eyes, and makes you a more prudent, smart, cautious, and decent human - At least it had that effect upon me...

The bone-headed, immature (and occasional and -possibly- "less-than-legal") stuff from my teens and very early twenties ended pretty darn quickly after I realized that I now had an immense responsibility to bear.

Before I got my permit and carried daily, I would have had the mindset that a handgun is synonymous w/ power... After a brief time carrying, I realized that it simply means that we are held to a higher standard than John Q. Citizen, legally speaking (and for very good reason).

Congrats to the OP... Carry in good health, and may you never clear leather "for real!"

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Welcome, remember your situational awarness, eyes, will keep you out of trouble for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by teccles View Post
    Good for you :)

Next time you are at a Walmart parking lot, just stop for a minute and look around. Notice how many people walk around totally oblivious to their surroundings with a cell phone glued to their head. The BG's do, and now so do you. Taking that first step towards a "defensive lifestyle" and ultimately self reliance proves you are not willing to let others dictate your future.

True independence isn't being able to prevent something that is beyond your control, it is taking a stand when a challenge presents itself. Just being able to say "today I was approached... and I refused to be a victim" has a value worth more than gold.

It's a whole new dimension...it changed me in a huge way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links