"They'll just take it away from you".......

This is a discussion on "They'll just take it away from you"....... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering how many of you here have heard this half assed ******** line from someone who knows you carry a gun? This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "They'll just take it away from you".......

I was just wondering how many of you here have heard this half assed ******** line from someone who knows you carry a gun? This comment annoys the heck out of me. Because it implies that even though I'm a grown man and have taken responsibility for my own safety by choosing to carry and be trained with a firearm,that I won't have the sack to use it on another human being. Now this isn't a macho thing guys but seriously if one feels they couldn't shoot another person even in a life or death situation,then I don't feel said person should carry a gun. These are the kind of people who would probably be killed with their own gun.

To me the colt 1911 on my hip daily is there for a life saving event. I would never pull my gun to scare someone or to act tough. I don't think I'm tough guy by any means,but I do know how to take care of myself even without a gun. I guess what I'm saying is people who think a bad guy is just gonna snatch my drawn gun from me before I put a bullet in him has seen to many movies. I have a personal rule if they are close enough to touch me then they are to close for comfort. Ever since I was a kid I have a real problem with people touching me,with the exception of my girlfriend or family members I don't like anyone in my personal space. So I was just wondering how you guys feel when someone who obviously knows nothing about ccw or the aspects of self defense make a snide comment like this?

Take an air pistol, make darn sure it's not loaded, holster it, and then dare them to get it away from you. Dare them to try.

I have done exactly that. Gun grabbing doesn't work very well in the real world.

I just smile and whisper: That's why God created the retention techniques... Folks who spout this crap do so from the perspective of what I refer to as Half measure violence. Folks who utter that B$ also like to say this B$: Violence only begets more violence.

That's the trouble. Look...people can be nice and friendly and peaceable around me or not. If they choose not, well if I have the opportunity I'd rather just leave. But .... lay hands on me or mine, put our lives in jeopardy? If somebody opens the door to violence, IMHO they have no legitimate beef if they get a little more violence than they bargained for. If folks can't abide by the laws of man I'll certainly apply the law of the jungle to them. Without hesitation should the situation require such application.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    I don't pay any attention to Sheep Dressed In People Clothing.They spout total nonsense & I can't be bothered listening to their stupid crap.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I don't pay any attention to Sheep Dressed In People Clothing.
    QKShooter, you owe me a new keyboard. I just snorted my soda up thru my nose and all over the durn thing I laughed so hard!

Now I have a handy retort for those kind of folks.....

Pardon me while I clean my KB.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Talking Keyboard Sent

It's in the mail.

Yup, I've heard this too and it irritates me. I used to carry a spring-loaded knife on me and my friends would say the exact same thing to me and laugh.

Do you think they know that I carry CC? Heck no!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It's called projection. Since they don't think THEY could ever shoot someone, they assume you couldn't.

Funny thing is that my wife does it, and she KNOWS I've shot people before.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    It's called projection. Since they don't think THEY could ever shoot someone, they assume you couldn't.

Funny thing is that my wife does it, and she KNOWS I've shot people before.
    That's called denial. She doesn't want to face the fact that the man she loves is a killer....she probably rationalizes your service in Iraq by thinking of the tank as the individual rather than the vehicle with real people inside. I'm sure there were opportunities to shoot the coax and other weapons at dismounted troops and insurgents and she probably makes a careful distinction between killing in battle and killing in civilian life. But to me is

I feel that anyone who wants to take my gun may find it very difficult to accomplish after soaking up 8 rounds of .45 ACP +P. I'm no Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek, but I can tear the center out of an 8" target at 21' with absolutely no problem. Same with a 12 gauge for home defense. Someone once told be that it was a bad idea because it's harder to hold onto than a pistol. Well, if the BG can continue to struggle after taking a few rounds of 00 Buck, I don't think a pistol is going to do much to stop him either!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member
    The tragically ironic thing is many of those shee....I mean people, that say nonsense like that will then look you dead in the eye and suggest you take the martial arts and carry OC/CN/CS instead as a primary means of defense......oh wonderful; abandon a stand-off weapon (gun) for a contact weapon (fists, feet).....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I'm trained to take weapons, including guns.

With handguns the take works about 50% of the time in practice.

I've never done it outside of a controlled practice setting.

Knives are a bit of a different story but they're still tricky.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    I am open with many people about the fact that I carry. Some of them are even the sheeple of which QK spoke and ExSoldier snorted.
    Strangely, I've never had anyone say that to me. I guess my response would be something to the effect of "They would be trying to take it from the wrong end," and let that stir around in their head for a while.

If they don't get it, they don't get it and there are some people that just can't/won't be educated. I may try, but after a while, it's just not worth my time. They will never accept it, but they should be grateful there are people like us around keeping things safer than any police force can.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have relayed this story before, but it is worth repeating.
    My sister took a self defense class and the instructor taught them some move where they are supposed to be able to take away an attackers gun even if the muzzle was right up against her skull. She was bragging about being able to do this, and of course I politely suggested her instructor is trying to get her killed. I am not saying that it wouldn't be worth a try if you suspected that they were about to drop the hammer on you. Unfortunately this instructor was teaching it as if it was going to work every time no matter what.

Needelss to say, I rummaged around, found a water gun and challenged her to take it away from me before she got wet.

You can guess what happened.

Senior Moderator
    I'm trained to take weapons, including guns.

With handguns the take works about 50% of the time in practice.

I've never done it outside of a controlled practice setting.

Knives are a bit of a different story but they're still tricky.
    Im trained to keep my gun. That 50% may work against the average Joe but its going to be much more difficult against someone that expects you to try to take it.

If you try to take a knife, you can expect to get cut. Taking one from an idiot that dosent intent to cut you is easy enough. Taking it from someone that wants to carve his initials on your corspe after the fact is an entirely different matter.

I get amused at people that think its an easy thing to do, yet, they have never tryied it. Their only"training" from the various TV programs that they watch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links