Car Jackings - Page 2

Car Jackings

This is a discussion on Car Jackings within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reasons for carjackings are like reasons for robbery or murder. Either for the reasons you listed,just for the hell of it,gang initiation,etc etc. Thousands of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Jackings

Reasons for carjackings are like reasons for robbery or murder. Either for the reasons you listed,just for the hell of it,gang initiation,etc etc. Thousands of reasons, stupidity being the first one.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    When in traffic leave enough distance to move right or left if your car is approached. I know this won't help if your in multiple laned road and your stopped in a center lane. Do a walk around your car in parking lots. Always keep your gun in a holster.
    This is good advice. I'll add one more suggestion to make you that much safer! ALWAYS look inside your vehicle BEFORE you enter. My late aunt was murdered by someone who was hiding inside her car between the front & back seats. She never checked the interior of her car.

After she entered her car and started to drive away he reached up from behind the seat, put his hands around her neck and forced her to drive to a secluded spot. He then strangled her to death.

ALWAYS look inside your vehicle before entering it & driving away. Be certain that there are no surprises awaiting you.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    My late aunt was murdered by someone who was hiding inside her car between the front & back seats. She never checked the interior of her car.

After she entered her car and started to drive away he reached up from behind the seat, put his hands around her neck and forced her to drive to a secluded spot. He then strangled her to death.

ALWAYS look inside your vehicle before entering it & driving away. Be certain that there are no surprises awaiting you.
    Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I always carry a SureFire and check my car and house before I enter, with one hand close to my Glock. The wife thinks I have lost it, but I feel safer doing that.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

FWIW i was informed that if you can not see the tires of the car in front of you, youre too close.

Biker and other’s have already gave you the best advice.

The only thing I’ll add it is a good friend of mine had it happen to him.
    He rolled up to a stop light existing the interstate. It was a typical sunny Florida day and he had his windows down.

NOT being situation aware he did not notice the two males approaching him from both sides, until one of them leaned in the passenger window and stuck a pistol in his face.

He thought he was safe because he kept a pistol in his glove box. The BG’s took his wallet, cell phone, Rolex watch and his car, which had the 38 special in the glove box.

Could of, would of, should of:

If he’d had the pistol concealed on his person after the BG’s started to drive off, he could of open fire.

Had the windows been up the BG could not of leaned in making it impossible for him to drive off.

Being situation aware he would have noticed the two BG’s existing the car behind him to approach his car, and simply drove through the red light, and speed off.

My weapon stays holstered until I come up on a red light or stop sign in a bad part of town, then it comes out and I place it partially under my left leg for quick access. Not to worried about the car jack scenario, as I always do a quick survey of the area and cars around me when I'm approaching the stop. Not to mention, the 05 Silverado 4x4 isn't that high of the theft list I suspect.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My Late Aunt

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I always carry a SureFire and check my car and house before I enter, with one hand close to my Glock. The wife thinks I have lost it, but I feel safer doing that.
    Thank you for your thoughts on my late aunt. She was murdered 25+ years ago. I still think about her sometimes. I was 18 year old at the time.

It's something I tell anyone who has to safely enter a car. You never know what will happen if you don't verify that a BG isn't in your vehicle. Nowadays with window tint it's even harder in some cases.

ALWAYS look inside your vehicle before entering it! It does not matter what time of day it may be. Spending less then 30 seconds verifying that you car is not occupied by a BG is time well spent.

wolfshead, you are NOT paranoid! If you wife thinks your somewhat paranoid show her this message. If you think it would help, send me a PM. I'll be happy to send you my personal email address. I'd send your wife a few wise words from someone who lost a loved one because she wasn't cautious.

Again, thanks for your comment about my late aunt.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; August 27th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    After reading a post about traveling cross-country armed, it motivated me to set my Glock on the seat next to me when I am in my car.
    Caution. If you need to quickly stop or turn the car, the gun/holster can slide down into the foot well and be relatively inaccessible.

In other words, is it random? Are there multiple people? Do they use cover to hide until they come out? Is it only during the night? Do they chose specific car types or driver types? What are your defensive options? Can you see them coming if you are situationally aware?
    There are all kinds, I'm sure. In any case, you won't know how the situation's going to play out until it gets rolling. I don't imagine statistics are kept on specific methods used during various crimes, beyond the basics: you were in the car; the criminal was outside; the criminal attacked with/without a weapon. Beyond that, supporting documentation (outside of the statistical summaries elsewhere) will detail the statements of the players and so on.

Lastly, if I was not on my game and watching my surroundings and had someone open my door to car-jack me, I could very easily get pulled out and my Glock would be left sitting in the passenger seat.
    I drive with my doors locked and (generally) all windows up. I keep the car in gear and ready to go. I try very hard to be on one of the outside lanes, on multi-lane roads, and I don't creep to within a nanometer of the car ahead of me, both of which effectively eliminate my option of ejecting out of a bad situation simply by driving away. Bottom line: if someone makes an attempt at physical removal of me from my car, I'm going to make an attempt of to exit as quickly as I'm able ... and if that flings his body forcibly into the next county via the next forty trees in his way, so be it.

YMMV, but that's my $0.03.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

If he’d had the pistol concealed on his person after the BG’s started to drive off, he could of open fire.

This will get you into big trouble in most states. Once they are fleeing, (even though they have your car,) they are no longer a threat to your life!

I think the only place you may be able to draw and fire on a fleeing car jacker is Texas, and I doubt even then, although as I understand it if it's night and they are on your property it is OK.

U.S. Department of Justice Carjacking Report

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Carjacking, 1993-2002 Report, there was on average 38,000 carjackings per year during this period. See report at Bureau of Justice Statistics Carjacking, 1993-2002

Here are some statistics obtained from this report:

• Men were more often victimized than women; blacks more than whites; and Hispanics more than non-Hispanics.
    • 93% occurred in cities or suburbs.
    • 74% involved weapons used by the criminal (45% firearms, 11% knives, and 18% other weapons).
    • 66% of victims resisted.
    • 32% of victims of completed carjackings and 17% of victims of attempted carjackings were injured.
    • Serious injuries (e.g., gunshot, knife wound, broken bones, or internal injuries) to victims occurred in about 9% of carjackings.
    • Victims hospitalized in about 1% of carjackings.
    • 56% of carjackings committed by multiple criminals.
    • 93% committed by male offenders.

• Offenders were described as:
    • Black – 56%
    • White – 21%
    • Other – 16%
    • 68% of carjackings occurred between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (night).
    • Type of area where carjacking occurred:
    • Open area (street, or near public transportation) – 44%
    • Parking lots or garages or near commercial places – 24%
    • At or near home – 17%
    • Within 5 miles of victim’s home – 63%
    • Property recovered 78% of time.

There have been some excellent ideas given here on how to not become a victim. These include:

• Situational awareness
    • Leave room to escape when stopped
    • Check your surroundings when stopped
    • Secure your weapon rather than leave on seat
    • Check your car when entering to ensure no one is inside
    • Carefully approach your parked car to ensure no suspicious vehicles/people are parked next to your vehicle
    • Keep doors locked and windows up when stopping
    • Keep doors locked when parking car to deter someone entering and/or give visual clue of forced entry.

I hope this helps. Stay safe!
    Defensive Handgun for the Armed Citizen
    www.pistoldefense.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links