A situation at an intersection

This is a discussion on A situation at an intersection within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving to my lady friend’s house last evening. (Still light.) I have driven this many times. It is not the best neighborhood with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was driving to my lady friend’s house last evening. (Still light.) I have driven this many times. It is not the best neighborhood with lots of seed looking characters but I have never had any trouble.

I was in my car. Doors locked, windows up. I was carrying my gun at 5 o’clock so it was not exactly in the most easily accessible condition. I was at a stop light. I will admit, I was boxed in more than I like. I normally do not do that in this neighborhood but traffic was a bit on the heavier side. At the corner were probably 6 or so gang types. They were walking away from my vehicle moving forward. All of a sudden, one of the guys turns around and starts running back very fast. He kinda sorta was running in the general direction of my car, but never really committed himself. He did look like he had a definite purpose to his movements. At this point the light turns green. The person in front of me just sits there, not moving. I am screaming in my head, “MOVE!” but nothing. I didn’t want to toot my horn as it didn’t seem appropriate given the possible situation. Then, the guy just stops, turns to his friends and starts laughing and joking around. Now the car in front of me starts to move. Ugh.

I keep thinking, what would I have done had this guy started banging on my passenger side door, or pulled a gun on me, or did something else “unfriendly”. I really couldn’t drive away. My gun was NOT easily accessible. And even if it were, there were 6 of them and only one of me. Just didn’t seem like a good situation to be in.

Lessons learned. I need a way to have a gun more readily available while I drive. I also need to constantly think of escape maneuvers at stop lights. Also, maybe find another route to drive and/or have my lady friend move.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    At least you learned a lesson.

When I drive my jeep, I like to put my gun between the console and the parking brake lever. It holds it pretty well with the grip being very accessible. Also right by my shifter, which my hand is often on anyway.

In my chevy, I stuck a kydex holster between the driver and bench seat, and it sits in there right in front of the seat belt.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

First, I hope you always have your doors locked. I would do windows up in a bad neighborhood too.

If the guy banged on the window, no big deal. Honk horn to get guy in front moving. If banging persists and guy in front still not moving, honk again.

If the situation elevates to the guy drawing a weapon, FLOOR IT. Worry about the motor vehicle accident after you are safe. The car in front of you can be moved out of the way. (I drive a RAM 2500, so pushing another vehicle is an option for me anyway)

Can you put your carry gun in a seat-side holster while driving? Can't do it in MA because then the weapon is not under your direct control.

I carry at 1:00, but seated with seat belt on, it is difficult to draw in a hurry.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

VIP Member
    This may be a bit over the top but I have often considered this lovely option...

Mitch Rosen CCR: “The Counter Carjacking Rig™ is designed for the "working pro" who sits on surveillance for long periods of time or for the tactically aware driver who may need to access a handgun while seated behind the wheel. Our recommendation is to have your CCR™ in the glove box, and upon entering the vehicle, put it on and switch your weapon from whichever rig you might be wearing, such as an ARG™. This is a situation-specific cross-draw ONLY. Stitched sight rails plus dowel sight track. AVAILABLE: Most autos, S&W J- and K-frames to 4" barrel”

Mitch should offer me a discount for plugging his product. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Everytime I get into my vehicle ... and I mean EVERYTIME, I remove my holstered firearm and jam it between the seat and the center console. The holster is very secure there and easily accessible. When I need to exit the vehicle, I scoot forward in the seat and stick the holstered gun back into my pants. I use an HBE Pro TL tuckable.

The scenario you described is difficult to defend against. Glad all went well for you.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Several good options, since I carry in the same location as you. The unholstering when in a car woudl be cumbersome if you had to tuck the shirt in, but other than that ti is a viable option.

I personally would floor it and take the car in front of me with me, I am well insured and can fix just about any car's bumper for a simple deductible.

Glad it turned out to be a knuckle head with a stupid sense of humor.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Lot of varibles there that got you to thinking. As others have stated, I have insurance and the premium is paid. Guess I would take the vehicle infront, beside or behind me with me, cause the accelerator is gonna get mashed if the SHTF, maybe even the BG if he has a gun..

Sounds like you learned to always have an out, and have your weapon readily available..

Glad all turned out well

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    This may be a bit over the top but I have often considered this lovely option...

Mitch Rosen CCR: “The Counter Carjacking Rig™ is designed for the "working pro" who sits on surveillance for long periods of time or for the tactically aware driver who may need to access a handgun while seated behind the wheel. Our recommendation is to have your CCR™ in the glove box, and upon entering the vehicle, put it on and switch your weapon from whichever rig you might be wearing, such as an ARG™. This is a situation-specific cross-draw ONLY. Stitched sight rails plus dowel sight track. AVAILABLE: Most autos, S&W J- and K-frames to 4" barrel”

Mitch should offer me a discount for plugging his product. ~
    Regards,

I would also recommend:

Ohai Modular Holster by Crossbreed

I have one velcroed underneath the steering column in my pickup, and another velcroed to the inside of the driver's door in my wife's car. When I get in either vehicle, I simply remove my firearm from my holster and slip it into the Ohai --- ready for quick action. Reverse the process as I get out of the vehicle.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

It's sobering to read someone's description of a real-world scenario where deadly force might have suddenly been called for if things had gone a little differently. Imagining this kind of situation is what compelled me to put a bit of time and effort into making sure I have a reasonably swift draw arrangement in my vehicle.

Paco brought up a good point -- use your vehicle first. I've told myself I'm willing to have some vehicle contact with other people's cars if we're all parked at a light and I can possibly drive away from a would-be carjacker. Me having to go through the hassle of processing vehicle damages with the insurance companies would beat the heck out of having to shoot someone.

This gives me an idea....
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

I drive into Boston at 3:30 am, most of the week it is quiet, Saturday morning the freaks are all out. IF I have to stop at a light because someone is in front of me I stop far enough away from that car so if I have to go around it I can without exchanging paint. Other than that, I only stop at lights if no one is around. I got stopped one morning for taking a right on red that was marked not to do so, I told the officer I will not sit at a light when scumbags are standing on the corner, at 3:30 in the morning, red or not. He said have a nice day and left.

I just bought this...
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sorry i think you're over reacting. "he was kinda sorta running in your general direction", but he "never committed". You were there, you're the best judge, but going off your details i question the need to drawing a gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I just bought this...
    FIST, INC.
    Excellent design from what I can see in the video. I wish they offered a similar model for revolvers.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

There are several different cross-draw style holsters for sitting. I bought one by Ross Leather- I really like it. It can also be quickly removed from the belt too.
    Ross Leather
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links