What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 senarios... (1) You're on a highway and somebody runs you off the road..you catch up with this idiot and he wants to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I have 2 senarios...
    (1) You're on a highway and somebody runs you off the road..you catch up with this idiot and he wants to have words on the side of the road,you pull over and he gets out with a ball bat..what would you do?
    (2) Some drunk guy wants to use you for a punching bag in a parking lot...you try and fight this dumb ass away from you...and he comes back at you trying to grab you're gun in you're belt...what would you do?

This never happened..just wondering.
    Last edited by Miggy; September 1st, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

2. Remove Ads

To question 1. I wouldn't catch up to them. I call 911 and let the police catch them.
    2.I can out run most drunks. If it means running or shooting. I'll run.

the whole idea of CCW is to go out of your way to avoid conflict. I alway try to think what would a jury think of my actions?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    highway situation....just let the idiot keep driving, Bar situation....its my policy to walk away first, then I give two warnings, then I draw if he still wants trouble. If theyre hostile off the bat, Ill draw and fire. Most state courts recognize the "sudden combat"doctrine that excuses this reaction as self defense. Never had to fire a shot in anger yet, and i hope i dont have to.

Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    I have 2 senarios...
    (1) You're on a highway and somebody runs you off the road..you catch up with this idiot and he wants to have words on the side of the road,you pull over and he gets out with a ball bat..what would you do?
    (2) Some drunk guy wants to use you for a punching bag in a parking lot...you try and fight this dumb ass away from you...and he comes back at you trying to grab you're gun in you're belt...what would you do?

Scenario #1 - I messed up bad in pulling over to have words. If I catch up, I should only do so to get the license plate number and call it in, then disengage. If I shoot the guy, I might very well go to jail because I pursued him. You say he gets out with a baseball bat, you don't say he comes at me with it. Someone comes at me with a baseball bat, assuming I didn't provoke it, he'll be looking down a .45 cal pipe. Even though AZ is a stand-your-ground state, I will definitely do my best to get out of the way. But if I'm cornered and he's still coming, I'm pulling the trigger.

Scenario #2 - Obviously I do my best to keep the gun in my possession. If I get my gun back and it's an unarmed drunk guy and he's not bigger than me, I'll clobber him with two and half pounds of 1911 steel, as many times as it takes to make him stop fighting. If he's bigger/younger/stronger, he gets shot. If I don't get my gun back, it's probably Good Night Irene for me, right?
    Last edited by Miggy; September 1st, 2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: lagnuage workaround

I have 2 senarios...

(1) Leave. Fast. Call 911. Meet Cops at Krispy Kreme. File report. Call insurance company in case of damage to car. Eat 23 glazed hot doughnuts, 1 raspberry jelly filled & 2 cups of coffee. Go home with a smile that lasts till the sugar high dies off. Crash hard. Wake up hung over as if you had 12 beers and 4 tequilas.

(2) Why am I in a parking lot of a bar with a handgun?
    Why am I not using footwork to evade a drunk, blind him with a surefire and kick his legs out from under him? If all that isn't working, knock him out and call 911 to report you were attacked. Then see #1 begining with "Eat 23 glazed hot doughnuts..."
    Last edited by Miggy; September 1st, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Languange workaround by Proxy

MitchellCT, he didn't say parking lot of a bar. I've seen plenty of drunk guys in non-bar parking lots.

VIP Member
    Scenario #1- I won't be chasing him down. I'll use my cell and call 911 with description of vehicle and license number (if I was able to get it).

Scenario #2- Attempt to walk away. If the person lunges and attempts to take my weapon, take him out of the fight fast, while retaining my weapon. A kick to the knee, elbow to the throat, knee to the groin. Whatever needs to be done. Last resort will be drawing my weapon.

I'm going to 'exit stage left' in either situation. I'm not catching up to anyone, and I can excape a parking lot drunk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MJK
    Agreed.

Scenario #1: Don't chase down the person who ran me off the road; call 911 and provide a description of the vehicle.

Scenario #2: Attack in the opposite direction. Call 911 at first opportunity and report the incident.

Scenario#2................always carry pepper spray with your CCW on your person. Good first line of Self Defense if used properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Agreed.

Scenario #1: Don't chase down the person who ran me off the road; call 911 and provide a description of the vehicle.

Scenario #2: Attack in the opposite direction. Call 911 at first opportunity and report the incident.
    +1. I think a prosecuting attorney would have a field day with any weapon involvement in scenario #1. Scenario #2 isn't much better from a legal perspective.

VIP Member
    Quick reminder everybody, just because the OP used a language workaround and we haven't caught up with it, does not mean it is OK for you to quote the whole thing with the offending word.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Scenario 1

Make sure you are at a safe distance from the erratic driver, note down his plate number and call 911. Hopefully you have a bluetooth headset/mic in the car so both your hands are free for defensive driving. I carry a small Flip video recorder in the car in case I need to record something for proof later.
    Never get into a verbal altercation and never ever get out of the car.

Scenario 2

Avoid confrontation, call 911 from a safe distance. If attacked at close quarters, defend yourself. Join a Krav Maga class.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I have 2 senarios...
    Not be there in the first place, certainly not of my own choosing and via my own aggressive attempt to catch up with the offender.

Had I done so, what would I be doing? Probably be in jail for the accusation of murder, if it turned down the likely path of me needing to defend against the lethal attack. I'd be having a tough time claiming that my injecting myself into a situation (with witnesses corroborating claims as to my actions) was done with only the most honorable of motives. Pass.

Stupid people deserve to be alone in their misery. He's got the road to himself, without me. I, on the other hand, have a call to make to my insurance agent and the police.

If only slightly off the road, I'd possibly get the license plate number (if able to). If not, not. Either way, the police need to know he's out there and threatening others, or at least out there and leaving the scene of "crashes" he's been involved with. The police don't take too kindly to that, 'round here.

I'm disabled, and I'm feeling the ravages of my condition. Any fight brought to me is going to end quickly, one way or the other. It'll end poorly for me, unless I end it. But, if I'm still breathing and being violently attacked by someone, then I'm going to do everything in my power to stop it, no matter the cost to the attacker.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have 2 senarios...

Scenario (1): I don't go after the guy, but assuming that I somehow am in the situation described and suddenly come to my senses, I get back in my car and drive away.

Scenario (2): I don't try to fight in the first place--I try to get away. But assuming I do something stupid as described and the he goes for my gun, I try my best to retain my gun and get away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links