A fishing trip turned nerve racking!

This is a discussion on A fishing trip turned nerve racking! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I would like to say that this forum made the difference for me today. We don't always agree with each other in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fishing trip turned nerve racking!

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar

A fishing trip turned nerve racking!

First of all, I would like to say that this forum made the difference for me today. We don't always agree with each other in a scenario, and I think that all of the debate of the different situations is what kept me on my toes tonight.

A friend and I deciede to do a little fishing this evening and to access the fishing hole we pulled off of a main highway to a parking spot. From there we had to walk 25 yards down a hill to the river. By this time it is dark and once we finally finished rigging the polls we walked down and put the hooks in the water.

We hadn't been there for five minutes when I see lights above us in the same parking lot we parked in. First I thought another fisherman was going to join us. I'm still in a Yellow mode at this point but I'm starting to feel a little light orange after the lights are still on after five minutes or so.

We continued to sit there and not catch a fish for another few minutes when I feel the surge of dark orange run through my bones and I tell the friend it's time for us to go.

We reel in and pack up, I ask him to carry everything since I'm the one with the firearm. As we top the hill we can't see anything but lights as they are aimed directly in our direction. At this point I put my hand on the gun without exposing it and we proceeded.

As we cleared the lights we could see two girls 18 to 22 and two boys about the same age just syanding by their car that is parked right next to me. This has really got the scenarios from this forum going through my mind at this point.

I walked very carefully toward my truck while the friend walks around the back of the car and my truck and watches me as I try and not make eye contact with these folks, although I'm doing my best to try and figure out what their intentions are. As I start to round the rear of the car they step out of the way, thankfully in a direction that I can see all of them and ask us how we did with the fishing. I said not too good and they said too bad, we (they) are going tubing and then they proceeded to unload tubes from the car and head toward the river.

Turned out to be a situation that was inocent, however I feel that this forum in a since trainned me to be more aware and while I may of made some mistakes I never lost my head and I felt in control of what was going on.

So a big THANK YOU to all of y'all out there for your different point of veiws!
    [One Nation Under God]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    hope you had fun on your fishing trip and glad everything went ok
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I would have stayed down in the dark. If they wanted to bring me trouble, they would have been night-blind. I would not have placed myself in the beams of their headlights. Besides, I probably would have caught some fish while waiting for them to do whatever it was they wanted to do.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Glad it turned out to be nothing. Sounds like your fishing trip was a wash, too bad, but I'd have been pretty concerned too in the situation you described.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I woulda had the same feeling,In Texas sometimes things aren't what they seem,not to mention a few groups of kids have gone on crime sprees
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I would have stayed down in the dark. If they wanted to bring me trouble, they would have been night-blind. I would not have placed myself in the beams of their headlights. Besides, I probably would have caught some fish while waiting for them to do whatever it was they wanted to do.
    Good point, although I probably done a poor job discribing the situation at the river. We could not fish a keep our eyes on what was going on behind us. It was a narrow bank and unless I stood up and turned I couldn't see up the hill where they were. I had to make a decision and I felt very vulnerable where we were.
    [One Nation Under God]

I can understand fishing at night, been there, done that on many occasions, but who in their right mind goes river tubing at night?

Beer, a tube, some tunes, and a pretty gal.

Tubing at night is where it's at!

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Beer, a tube, some tunes, and a pretty gal.

Tubing at night is where it's at!

Biker
    2 couples in their late teens/early 20's in an out-of-the-way spot by the river? I have no trouble at all figuring out what the were up to!

Trust me, they were more unhappy to see you there than you were to see them!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    2 couples in their late teens/early 20's in an out-of-the-way spot by the river? I have no trouble at all figuring out what the were up to!

What he said!

"we finally finished rigging the polls"
    HEHEHE....sounds like you were at a democratic event!
    You mean Poles?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    ain't that the truth
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Down here on the"River" people with tubes at night are "smuggling"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    "we finally finished rigging the polls"
    HEHEHE....sounds like you were at a democratic event!
    You mean Poles?

Boy, what a true statement I inadvertently made!

Sum tims my spilling ain't so goot!!
    [One Nation Under God]

RMS
    Just a question. Why no eye contact?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links