Wife and baby home alone break in

This is a discussion on Wife and baby home alone break in within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work the 3rd shift at a Rehab and Nursing center. Last night I was running late so I was in a hurry out the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I work the 3rd shift at a Rehab and Nursing center. Last night I was running late so I was in a hurry out the door. My wife and 9 mth old daughter were both asleep when I left. Apparently my wife awoke shortly after I had left. Usually I say goodbye but being I was already late and they were sleeping I didn't, so she unlocked the front door and stuck her head out to see if my rig was still in the driveway. She returned inside and the baby woke up, so as she was sitting on the couch trying to get baby back to sleep she decided to call me to see if I had made it to work yet. As I was talking to her she suddenly was screaming that someone was coming through the front door. They had apparently been anticipating that everyone be aslep because upon hearing my wife scream they turnd tail and ran back out the door. I quickly flipped a not so legal u-turn and raced towards home. I told her to take the 9mm out of the nightstand, to go into the master bathroom, lock the door, and call 911. I beat the cops home and made a quick trip around the house with the maglite I keep in the exploder. I didn't see anyone so I entered the house and trident to calm her and the baby down. He police arrived and we filed a report. This isn't the first time someone has trident to break in before, last time the BG force their way in but the backdoor was locked. Again I was at work and just my wife and baby home, she was making a bottle in the kitchen when someone began wrenching on the backdoor trying to force it open. My wife turnd on the porch light and they took off. What concerns me is that this may or maynot be the same individual that knows I work at night and frequently must leave my wife and child home alone. What could I do to prevent this fom happening again? What should I have done?
    Last edited by OryGunner; September 4th, 2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Language

That sucks man! Glad that everyone is OK!

What really sucks is that YOU beat the cops to your house! On a "home invasion" no less! How far are you (at work) and the cops for your home? My God man, when seconds count........the cops are only minutes away.

I would start with a monitored alarm system, and use it! That actually being second as you already have a gun in the house. Maybe a loaded shotgun up high so kids can't get to it but you and your wife can.

Leave lights on outside at night seeing as you are not there, or put motion sensor lights up at the very least and have a chat with your PD, like the Chief, and ask them for more patrols at night in your area due to the two attemps to get into your home with you wife and child inside.

Keep safe man.

+1 on the motion sensor lights, covering all entrances to your home.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Here is he basic time frame: I'm suppose to be at work at 2200 I left the house at 2205ish, my wife sees I'm not home and calls me at 2208ish, intruder enters doorway while I'm on phone with wife 2209ish, me hauling ass home by 2211. Gave statement to sheriff 2215.
    And I actually already got motion sensors for the front and back door yesterday.

Did your wife leave the door unlocked that the perpetrator entered through?
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OryGunner View Post
    Here is he basic time frame: I'm suppose to be at work at 2200 I left the house at 2205ish, my wife sees I'm not home and calls me at 2208ish, intruder enters doorway while I'm on phone with wife 2209ish, me hauling ass home by 2211. Gave statement to sheriff 2215.
    And I actually already got motion sensors for the front and back door yesterday.
    Maybe it was your employer checking to see why you was not at work yet, just concerned about your safety.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I'm glad all is well with your family,

I agree with the motion sensor lights and monitoring service. I would also make sure that your wife trains and practices some defensive tactics at home and is familiar with and able to use your firearms.

Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Security lighting, deadbolt locks, and a dog would be the first things I would start with.
    Talk with the local PD and ask for extra patrols in the area, around that time of night.
    Make sure your wife know where you keep your firearm, and more important, make sure she knows how to use it.
    Stay safe.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Security lighting, deadbolt locks, and a dog would be the first things I would start with.
    Talk with the local PD and ask for extra patrols in the area, around that time of night.
    Make sure your wife know where you keep your firearm, and more important, make sure she knows how to use it.
    Stay safe.

+1 on the dog. Your wife may not be fond of the idea, taking care of a baby AND a dog, but WTSHTF she'll be glad to have it.

First I am thankful the intruder was scared away at the fact that your wife was awake an everyone is OK! As we all know, it could have been a very ugly situation.

First, as I tell everyone, survival/security is a personal thing! Everyone will have different priorities as to how much value they place on their life and how much effort to put into a survival plan. Some people merely play the percentages and feel, in general, bad things won't happen to them.

In your situation, you have already had two attempts at people entering your home and this last time, they were in fact successful in gaining entry. So much for playing the percentages, right?

Security in the home is best achieved if performed using a layered approach to your overall security plan.

Whether you start from the outside and work in or from the inside and work outwards I don't think is as critical as long as you cover as many bases as possible with the amount of resources you have available.

What I would do, is start from the outside of your home, and do a general walk around inspection. Check for means of easy access to the inside and consider hardening your castle. Can your basement windows be more secure? Do you need to install some sort of covering or better locks?

On all of our ground level windows, we have long thorned cactus plants in the windows, as well as a lot of hanging plants and cactus and stuff which is easily knocked over and will make noise for someone trying to climb through. It won't stop a determined intruder, but it is definitely "uninviting" to anyone looking in from the outside and would likely discourage most intruders.

Do you have tree's very close to the house where an intruder could climb and have easy access to any second story windows. If so, you may consider trimming back the branches so they won't support the weight of a person trying to climb through a window, or provide more security to that window.

Do you have bushes and shrubs out front close to the house, especially at entrances where a person could hide and not be seen while he breaks in, or more importantly easily ambush you as you approach your house or leave? If so, you may consider trimming them back, or remove them altogether.

How is your exterior lighting? Is it adequate to properly illuminate areas where someone can hide? Does it provide enough illumination for you to observe your surroundings from inside the house? Do you have flood lights or should you install any floodlights under the eaves of house? Some are really cheap, have solar batteries, motion sensors and a variety of other features which can be fairly affordable. We are talking often times for as little as $25-$50. Same goes for lighting in the back yard.

Alarm systems run the gamut from being a total waste of money and only provide a false sense of security, to the truly very expensive with paid monitoring staff, and everything in between. However, a properly thought out and researched $200 self installed system can be quite effective and beneficial. You must know the limitations of an alarm system and above all, they must be turned on and used in order to be effective. You won't believe the number of people who have an alarm system and fail to use them consistently!

A good dog is often one of your best alarm systems. Small yappy annoying dogs which are known to bark at their own shadow makes for a good mobile alarm system. With the larger breeds, it is best if you spend some time working with them and ensure they are fairly obedient.

One of the most important aspects of any home security system is your own personal attitude towards safety and that of your wife. You have to be disciplined enough to keep the doors locked even when you are home. You have to make sure you re-lock the door after you open it or have gone outside. Our front and back doors are always locked. We just automatically flip the dead bolt after we close the door. It's a habit and ingrained to the point where we can do it if we are half asleep. I work a 24 hour shift in EMS. We are a rural service and in the evenings we are allowed to respond from home. So I am frequently leaving the house at all hours of the night, often times my wife is still asleep. I always take the time to lock the deadbolt on the way out.

During the time of year, when doors and windows are open, we have inside latches on all our screen doors.

When it comes to guns. I have my gun on my person even when at home. If not, it is within arms reach all the time. When my wife is home by her self, at least one or two pistols is within arms reach and usually the AR-15 is at the end of the couch. Our daughter is 38, married and doesn't life with us so no small kids in our house.

When the 7 year old granddaughter is here, guns are put away except for the ones on our person. Next year, however, when granddaughter is 8, I will be teaching her to shoot and how to act around guns. I will also be sending her to the youth programs at APT academy in rural Missouri to get her formal shooting classes as well as rappelling and outdoor skills like fire building, water procurement and map and compass. She takes dance class, ballet and "girlie" stuff like that at home, but grandpa has already got the green light to help her develop other skills to be self sufficient and provide her with a more rounded set of life skills.

So, I hope this has provided you with some "food for thought" on how to address your security concerns at home and wish you luck.

Again, I'm glad everything turned out OK, but you have already been gigged twice now and both times, come out unscathed... It's time you and your wife take a serious look at how seriously you want to address your personal survival skills and home security.

Take care and stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    First I am thankful the intruder was scared away at the fact that your wife was awake an everyone is OK! As we all know, it could have been a very ugly situation.

First, as I tell everyone, survival/security is a personal thing! Everyone will have different priorities as to how much value they place on their life and how much effort to put into a survival plan. Some people merely play the percentages and feel, in general, bad things won't happen to them.

In your situation, you have already had two attempts at people entering your home and this last time, they were in fact successful in gaining entry. So much for playing the percentages, right?

Security in the home is best achieved if performed using a layered approach to your overall security plan.

Whether you start from the outside and work in or from the inside and work outwards I don't think is as critical as long as you cover as many bases as possible with the amount of resources you have available.

What I would do, is start from the outside of your home, and do a general walk around inspection. Check for means of easy access to the inside and consider hardening your castle. Can your basement windows be more secure? Do you need to install some sort of covering or better locks?

On all of our ground level windows, we have long thorned cactus plants in the windows, as well as a lot of hanging plants and cactus and stuff which is easily knocked over and will make noise for someone trying to climb through. It won't stop a determined intruder, but it is definitely "uninviting" to anyone looking in from the outside and would likely discourage most intruders.

Do you have tree's very close to the house where an intruder could climb and have easy access to any second story windows. If so, you may consider trimming back the branches so they won't support the weight of a person trying to climb through a window, or provide more security to that window.

Do you have bushes and shrubs out front close to the house, especially at entrances where a person could hide and not be seen while he breaks in, or more importantly easily ambush you as you approach your house or leave? If so, you may consider trimming them back, or remove them altogether.

How is your exterior lighting? Is it adequate to properly illuminate areas where someone can hide? Does it provide enough illumination for you to observe your surroundings from inside the house? Do you have flood lights or should you install any floodlights under the eaves of house? Some are really cheap, have solar batteries, motion sensors and a variety of other features which can be fairly affordable. We are talking often times for as little as $25-$50. Same goes for lighting in the back yard.

Alarm systems run the gamut from being a total waste of money and only provide a false sense of security, to the truly very expensive with paid monitoring staff, and everything in between. However, a properly thought out and researched $200 self installed system can be quite effective and beneficial. You must know the limitations of an alarm system and above all, they must be turned on and used in order to be effective. You won't believe the number of people who have an alarm system and fail to use them consistently!

A good dog is often one of your best alarm systems. Small yappy annoying dogs which are known to bark at their own shadow makes for a good mobile alarm system. With the larger breeds, it is best if you spend some time working with them and ensure they are fairly obedient.

One of the most important aspects of any home security system is your own personal attitude towards safety and that of your wife. You have to be disciplined enough to keep the doors locked even when you are home. You have to make sure you re-lock the door after you open it or have gone outside. Our front and back doors are always locked. We just automatically flip the dead bolt after we close the door. It's a habit and ingrained to the point where we can do it if we are half asleep. I work a 24 hour shift in EMS. We are a rural service and in the evenings we are allowed to respond from home. So I am frequently leaving the house at all hours of the night, often times my wife is still asleep. I always take the time to lock the deadbolt on the way out.

During the time of year, when doors and windows are open, we have inside latches on all our screen doors.

When it comes to guns. I have my gun on my person even when at home. If not, it is within arms reach all the time. When my wife is home by her self, at least one or two pistols is within arms reach and usually the AR-15 is at the end of the couch. Our daughter is 38, married and doesn't life with us so no small kids in our house.

When the 7 year old granddaughter is here, guns are put away except for the ones on our person. Next year, however, when granddaughter is 8, I will be teaching her to shoot and how to act around guns. I will also be sending her to the youth programs at APT academy in rural Missouri to get her formal shooting classes as well as rappelling and outdoor skills like fire building, water procurement and map and compass. She takes dance class, ballet and "girlie" stuff like that at home, but grandpa has already got the green light to help her develop other skills to be self sufficient and provide her with a more rounded set of life skills.

So, I hope this has provided you with some "food for thought" on how to address your security concerns at home and wish you luck.

Again, I'm glad everything turned out OK, but you have already been gigged twice now and both times, come out unscathed... It's time you and your wife take a serious look at how seriously you want to address your personal survival skills and home security.

Take care and stay safe!
    Great response, Bark'n.

OP, sounds like y'all are on borrowed time.
    First and foremost, wife has got to lock that door, every time, without fail.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Conscientious use of locks, a big dog, and firearms training for your wife.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Had you left on time, your wife may not have been on the phone with you when the invasion attempt occurred, maybe still in bed.

Good thing you were late that day!

Someone had definitely been watching your schedule and knows when to hit.
    Betcha it is someone in your neighborhood.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Someone had definitely been watching your schedule and knows when to hit.
    Betcha it is someone in your neighborhood.
    +10 on that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links