What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a member here at DC for a month or so, and in that time I have read allot of what I would consider ...

View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back away and leave, then call the Police from a safe location.

36 30.25%
  • Call the Police and remain in, or at the location

51 42.86%
  • Call the Police and attempt to clear the home yourself.

15 12.61%
  • Other. Please add details

17 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I've been a member here at DC for a month or so, and in that time I have read allot of what I would consider some very insightful and clever responses to all kinds of situations.

First, I know what you should do in the event of this scenario, but am curious as to how some of the members with specialized training and even those without any would respond to this type of scenario. I only added 3 selections for quick response, but hoping the "Other" will be followed with tactics and defensive maneuvers.

I went a few pages back and didn't see this question asked, but if I missed it, my apologies in advance.

Let's say for ease of scenario. You're alone and you come home to find you home broken into. Front door in tact, Alarm not engaged, no alert of any kind. What would you do?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Depends on if my wife's vehicle is home or not. If it is, I search the house immediately, and since I'm always armed, I'll be armed at the time. I'm not waiting for the police. A lot of bad can happen in the time it takes for the police to respond.

Some will say that's dangerous. Yes, it is. It's also dangerous for my family if I wait outside and they are being assaulted inside.

If the family isn't home (which I'm assuming is the premise for your scenario), I'll call the police and wait down the block. Nothing in my house, other than family members, is worth being involved in a shooting.

If the family is with me, I drive on by, and call the police from a distance, a very far distance. This isn't in your scenario, but I'll list it anyway.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Depends on if my wife's vehicle is home or not. If it is, I search the house immediately, and since I'm always armed, I'll be armed at the time. I'm not waiting for the police. A lot of bad can happen in the time it takes for the police to respond.

Some will say that's dangerous. Yes, it is. It's also dangerous for my family if I wait outside and they are being assaulted inside.

If the family isn't home (which I'm assuming is the premise for your scenario), I'll call the police and wait down the block. Nothing in my house, other than family members, is worth being involved in a shooting.

If the family is with me, I drive on by, and call the police from a distance, a very far distance. This isn't in your scenario, but I'll list it anyway.
    I have to agree with grady, it would depend if my family was in the house or not, and if the dog is visible, missing, or going nuts.

+1 Grady.

If the wifes home I go in but lets assume she is not home .
    If they are in a vehicle I back my truck down my drive 100 yds to the choke point and block their escape ( I have already called 911 ) I leave truck with my pistol and binoculars and go into the woods to a point that I can see both front and back doors and wait for the county sheriff who are at least 45 min away .
    If I see them leave I will give a description and direction to the deputy .
    There is water on three sides of me and only one dead end road behind me , unless they are going to take a ten mile hike through some rough country the sheriff should catch them if they arrive in time .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I agree completely with Grady. (that happens alot!)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Grady hit the nail on the head, I would respond exactly the same way. I didnt vote.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Ok, I am not getting something here. Your front door is intact, meaning they didn't kick it in, and the alarm is not engaged, does that mean it isn't going off, and no alert of any kind.

How the heck have you determined that there has been a break in? The MO around here lately is the kick in the front of carport door. In my case that will trigger the alarm. If they don't kick in a door, they will immediately set off the motion detectors, so if it isn't me or my wife or a couple of other folks that have keys and alarm codes, I will be alerted.

I am going to assume that the front window is busted out or something for your scenario. If my family is supposed to be home, I am going in with gun drawn. If my family is with me the wife will call 911, and I will be going in with gun drawn. If I am alone and I know my wife isn't home I will be going in with gun drawn.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I chose Back away and call the police.

If no love ones are there, then I'm out of there. House clearing is not a one man job.

That's what the cops are paid to do.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

this has actually happened to me before, it was back when i was in middle school and had just got off the bus.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ok, I am not getting something here. Your front door is intact, meaning they didn't kick it in, and the alarm is not engaged, does that mean it isn't going off, and no alert of any kind.

How the heck have you determined that there has been a break in?
    I'm no crook, but I'm thinking most BGs break into the Back door or window which is less noticeable vs the front door, or window. Plus my wife will sometimes forget to set the alarm as she leaves. Because of that, you'll most likely walk into the home and not see anything until inside. I am really more curious as to how many would try to clear the house by themselves as apposed to any of the other options. I agree, Grady hit it pretty much spot on for my thoughts as to how I would handle it, but I am still interested how some of the others with specialized training would handle it too.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    +1 Grady. My mask and cape are at the cleaners; I'll only go in if family is at risk.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I voted "Other" because the the choices were not close enough to what I would do.

My wife and I live alone. So, like Grady, I would only enter if the wife's car was at home and I knew she was supposed to be home.

Waiting for the police when my wife's life could be slipping away or in jeopardy isn't going to happen.

If my wife is with me, (usually the case) or I knew she was supposed to be away, I would call police and wait for them to show up.

I'm staying on the property, or in very close proximity so I can observe the scene while waiting for the police. However, I will take up a tactical position which would afford me some hard cover and a decent observation post.

I have a vacant lot across the street where an old nursing home used to be. There are several large trees for cover and a concrete foundation with a semi-basement type area where I could hunker down in a protected area and watch the area for developments. There is no standing structure as the nursing home itself was torn down a couple years ago. The depth of the basement at the front is about waist level or a little deeper. Perfect for protection or as a shooting position.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    I can see both front and back doors and wait for the county sheriff who are at least 45 min away.
    Man that's a long time to wait for emergency response.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    There is water on three sides of me and only one dead end road behind me.
    Sounds like a cool home! I hope to retire to a home on a lake either in GA or SC. Stay safe out there.

VIP Member
    I generally hate polls like this but I'm bored so what the heck.
    Ok, in the abstract I suppose I would call Deputy Dog and just hang out and wait.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links