I got that weird feeling like something wasn't right...

This is a discussion on I got that weird feeling like something wasn't right... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend and I decided to stop at our local Safeway at 01:00hrs PST. We parked at the closest spot in the row that is ...

Thread: I got that weird feeling like something wasn't right...

My girlfriend and I decided to stop at our local Safeway at 01:00hrs PST. We parked at the closest spot in the row that is in front of the door. Upon leaving the store, while talking with my girlfriend, I noticed a guy was walking in the direction of the entrance, wearing a dark hoodie, hood over his head and black pants...

As we walk towards my car, I take a glance at the guy as he is passing by (about 20 feet away) and just get that awkward feeling like something is off... After turning my attention to see where I am walking, I take a second glance over my right shoulder to see if he kept going towards the store, and I see him make a slight turn back towards the door, as if he had turned or started to walk behind me.

The reason I am posting this is because this guy's behavior was a little odd. After getting into my car, my driver side mirror was facing directly to the entrance of the store. The guy made his way up to the door as if he was going to walk inside, then did a u-turn and started walking down the front of the store with a cell phone in his hands. As I pulled away, I continued to watch this guy in my mirror and he continued to mosey along the front of the store. I stopped watching when I had gone past where I could view him any more.

I am posting this so people can learn from this situation. Whether dangerous or not, his intentions, good or bad, I sensed something was off. I am currently 20y/o and will be able to carry some time in the beginning of November, once I purchase a firearm for SD.

I carry OC spray and also have my Surefire E2D flashlight with me when I go out.

Take from it a good example to be aware of everyone around you, even if they have good intentions.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    When your spider sense is tingling, it is doing so for a reason. You should learn to listen to it and be proactive. It can be a good asset to maintaining a long life.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You're going to see a lot more 'shady characters' and folks acting strangely. Some have ill intentions, and some are on drugs, or both. It's not getting any better out there to be on the streets and go places you normally do, or just a spontaneous outing. Survey surroundings before getting out of your vehicle. I've gotten to the point where I don't even like anyone to be behind me, and especially if they are walking at the same pace as myself. I'll saunter off to the side and let them go past. I feel they shouldn't be on the same itinerary as myself, or they could have taken a different path. Maybe I'm just too sensitive that way these days, but it's an automatic response any more.
    Stay alert and scrutinize everyone you see. Never put yourself in a poor position.
    Good post, good reminder, good learning experience.
    I don't know of many folks out and about with true "good intentions"......to me they are all either neutral or bad, and most of the neutral are one slip of the clutch away from going into bad.
    Be careful out there.

Have to agree with all the above.
    My mentor in the emergency services told me when I first pinned on a badge, "Son, when in doubt, go with your gut."
    His advice never steered me wrong.
    Your gut told you something wasn't right.
    You done good.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

+1

All of your previous education, training and experience has led you to this moment and, despite not knowing exactly what's up, your "spidey sense" is telling you something's wrong. The better your previous training/education/experience, the more your "gut" is able to see something in the pattern that your mind has missed.

Yes: when in doubt, go with your gut. It's right a good percentage of time. If it's truly a SHTF situation, your life could depend on listening to those little hairs rising on the back of your neck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Soon you'll have your CCW permit, but you sound as if you're already ahead of the curve on alertness.

Well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like other folks have already said,go with your gut.Those gut feelings and tingles are there for a reason,and go back thousands of years,back to our caveman ancestors.Its a biological defensive mechinism,its just some people can use it better than others.But also ask yourself,if that guy you were watching did the exact same thing,but was wearing kahki pants and a dress shirt,would you have felt the same?The one thing I'm STILL trying to learn after five years of CC,is to ask myself, could this be a true threat,or I am I being paranoid based on pre-conceived notions?I know bad guys aren't limitied to wearing hoodies and baggy pants,anyone can be a threat.I think this where people watching exercies can come into play.

Personally I'd rather back up the "gut feeling" with expirience and training.

Sometimes what we learn to do in training goes against what we think our "gut reaction" is. The thing is, you have to train enough to make it instinctive. I respond much differently now to certain stimuli than I did when I was "green".

Follow your instincts and hope that over time your expirience will temper your gut so that you can react appropriately.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Personally I'd rather back up the "gut feeling" with expirience and training.
    Whenever possible, if time and circumstance permits.

The point everyone seems to be making is, of course: don't simply ignore "spidey sense," as it can be a valuable input.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Whenever possible, if time and circumstance permits.

The point everyone seems to be making is, of course: don't simply ignore "spidey sense," as it can be a valuable input.
    I never said to ignore the "spidey sense".

I was merely trying to point out that expirience will tend to influence the "spidey sence".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I never said to ignore the "spidey sense".
    Didn't say you did. Was just clarifying so we're all on the same page.

I was merely trying to point out that expirience will tend to influence the "spidey sence".
    Yup.

Yes, pay attention to the "spidey sense," but; back it up with some good education.

When your "spidey sense" kicks into full gear, and the S is about to hit the fan; what will the "spidey sense" due for you? The next reflex you will react to is, "Fight of Flight."

Under that stress without good training you'll most likely fall apart. I mean, you won't be a good witness, you may over or, under react. Stress training is a good thing especially for those that carry.

More importantly, you'll be in charge of most all of your senses should the SHTF.
    Certified Glock Armorer

All very good posts here.

I just want to point out that your spidey senses will go off, and you will observe a lot of hinkey stuff in life that never pans out into a criminal act or something bad.

Be aware and alert, and act accordingly, but be careful that you don't end up acting precipitously.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    All very good posts here.

I just want to point out that your spidey senses will go off, and you will observe a lot of hinkey stuff in life that never pans out into a criminal act or something bad.

Be aware and alert, and act accordingly, but be careful that you don't end up acting precipitously.
    Great Post Bark'n!
    Too often I have to fight with my natural fight vs flight reaction and try to find that compromise in the middle. Stay alert, stay in a position to watch what happens and do your best to make a living witness, without getting involved any more than you have to. Be reasonable, and if you must act, keep safe.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Shopping at 01:00 hrs violates my rules of stupid. Stick to daylight hours at the "watering hole" type locations.

Clarification...Watering hole here means places where prey animals congregate, not a local pub.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Sponsored Links