Situation last night...

This is a discussion on Situation last night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well never thought I would have something to post here but here is what happened. I was carrying a Charter Arms undercover .38 special in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situation last night...

Situation last night...

Well never thought I would have something to post here but here is what happened.
    I was carrying a Charter Arms undercover .38 special in a side vest pocket.
    I stopped for gas it wasn't to late a little after 9:00 pm it was a well lit station and there were other customers.I pulled to the far left set of pumps as my filler is on the right side of my car.There were no other cars at the line of pumps I was on but there were other people getting gas at other pumps.
    As I was pumping gas I was watchful but not especially alert when all of a sudden a slender male approximately 5'8" wearing oversized dirty brown t-shirt with a rip in it approached from the blind side of the pump I was at he was within 5' before I saw him and was walking very deliberately toward me I instantly went on alert and told him to stop and placed my left arm strait out in the stop gesture and placed my right hand on my pistol in my pocket he complied but was within approximately 3 feet of me.He started to ask me something but I politely but firmly informed that he needed to step back.He kind of hesitated and I could tell he knew I had a gun he then made a comment to the effect that it was broad daylight (I assumed he was refering to it being well lit) I again requested he step which he did then proceding to ask for a dollar.I informed him I did not have a dollar and he left.I very alertly finished filling my car and even though I had planned on getting a drink got in and left.
    In my own after critique I felt the things I did right were I immediately put my hand on my gun without even thinking about it I don't remember having a conscious thought to go for my gun.I was calm firm and polite and did not panic.
    On the negative I should have went back around to the other side of my car while pumping gas to make up for the blind spot the pump created.I also think I was too focused on him and not paying attention to what was behind me at the time but I guess all is well that ends well and I learned something about the blind spot the gas pumps can create.

Comments,Questions and Critiques welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Hey, we all miss stuff from time to time. That's the thing about being human.

If he got that close why not stop pumping gas and take the nozzle out of the car? Then you can have your Zippo in hand and a questioning look on your face as you ask the possible adversary, "Can I help you?"

If he did have nefarious intentions you would have a good implemented protection device in hand. It also appears non-threatening to the other witnesses, and many wouldn't see the Zippo, but your nefarious individual sure would.

You do need to make sure that if this situation escalated that it would fall under the realm of deadly force in your locality, for you. Otherwise you will be the one doin' time and the "victim" will be collecting from you for life.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I am glad you are safe. After I get the pump running, I go looking for the windshield wash stuff while casing the area. While washing the windshield, I glance around and keep moving around. I move around in a manner to make sure I get a look behind pumps and displays. I hope it is not obvious to others. I did this before I started to carry. Sounds like you did well.

There seems to be a lot of panhandlers approaching people pumping gas these days. Most may be harmless. Some may not be. I've taken to upping my SA when gassing up. It's wise to stay alert at the pumps.

VIP Member
    Yeah, when we think of the most dangerous situation, we often overlook the most likely scenario. Your encounter falls in the latter category and stimulates food for thought. Maybe I should forego that next beautiful gun, and opt for that overpriced piece of plastic with electric darts. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    As long as we learn from what should've happen....we grow and become better at what will happen
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I am glad you are safe. After I get the pump running, I go looking for the windshield wash stuff while casing the area. While washing the windshield, I glance around and keep moving around. I move around in a manner to make sure I get a look behind pumps and displays. I hope it is not obvious to others. I did this before I started to carry. Sounds like you did well.
    This is an excellent display of using good tactics and how to implement them.

You are performing excellent situational awareness and making sure you cover all vantage points to observe everything around while at the same time, you disguise what you are doing by performing menial tasks related to routine vehicle maintenance. Great camouflage for what you are actually doing!

You learn something every day, and I just learned an excellent set of tactics to implement myself.

I usually just stand at the pumps looking grumpy an observing the area, but you gave me a method which allows one to move about the vehicle so you don't miss areas where a potential threat may come from, yet remain ready to meet any threat head on!

Outstanding!

Some of the best tactical advice I've gotten in a while for filling up at the gas station!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Hey, we all miss stuff from time to time. That's the thing about being human.

If he got that close why not stop pumping gas and take the nozzle out of the car? Then you can have your Zippo in hand and a questioning look on your face as you ask the possible adversary, "Can I help you?"

If he did have nefarious intentions you would have a good implemented protection device in hand. It also appears non-threatening to the other witnesses, and many wouldn't see the Zippo, but your nefarious individual sure would.

You do need to make sure that if this situation escalated that it would fall under the realm of deadly force in your locality, for you. Otherwise you will be the one doin' time and the "victim" will be collecting from you for life.

Biker
    Well first the nozzle was not in my hand and second don't smoke so no Zippo

Much like the difference between the Offensive & Defensive units of a football team, the Offensive squad knows what they plan to do & the Defense can only...react to the plan. We are on the defense against BGs. Be awake, be aware, be ready & stay SAFE. Glad you're okay!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    Well first the nozzle was not in my hand and second don't smoke so no Zippo
    I don't smoke either.

Maybe I read it wrong, or just inferred something that wasn't there, but I pictured you at the pump, pumping gas into your truck. That's how I do it, so the pump is in hand for me.

Like Bark'n I tend to stand there and look grumpy.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I don't smoke either.

Maybe I read it wrong, or just inferred something that wasn't there, but I pictured you at the pump, pumping gas into your truck. That's how I do it, so the pump is in hand for me.

Like Bark'n I tend to stand there and look grumpy.

Biker
    No I had the nozzle lever locked down and I was looking around but my view was blocked by the pump.In the future I plan to step back around to the other side of my vehicle to give me a buffer and a wider angle of view.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    There seems to be a lot of panhandlers approaching people pumping gas these days. Most may be harmless. Some may not be. I've taken to upping my SA when gassing up. It's wise to stay alert at the pumps.
    My situational awareness is probably highest while re-fueling. I drive a diesel and use truck stops frequently due to cheaper fuel. There seems to be alot of riff raff at gas stations looking for handouts.

To the OP, I think you did fine, anytime you are aware of your surroundings is a step in the right direction.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I try and avoid the "spare change" syndrome by timing my refills at less likely locations, time of day, etc. Granted, it can’t avoid them all, but you can minimize the likelyhood of encounters. I usually fuel-up around 7:00 a.m. at a clean and fairly busy station.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It seems that gas stations collect all sorts of people and there is always someone looking for something, whether its directions or handouts.

I drive a large SUV so I am looking at my surroundings as I pull into the stations. I get out and quickly get the gas pumping and then pick a spot either at the front or rear of my vehicle that affords me the best vantage point from which to watch around me while waiting for the pump to stop. Depending upon the location and situation, I will sometimes walk around the vehicle cleaning the windows, like the previous poster, which gives me an opportunity to see what else is going on and size up any others who happen to be around me.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

eh...I don't think I've ever heard of any sort of encounter like this to go all the way without things that could have been done better. The important thing is that no harm was done, you learned a little bit more, and can hopefully recall this information if you ever need it again (hopefully you don't though!!)

Oh yeah, this reminds me of not too long ago my wife and I stopped at a gas station in Atlanta on our way back from the honeymoon. Thought it was an okay area of town until I pulled into the gas station. There were definitely girls looking for work and some sketchy guys hanging out too. They were about 50 yards away, but I don't think I've been on higher alert with my head on a swivel like that in a long time. We probably should have just gone to another gas station, but I was crazy tired from driving and didn't feel like going elsewhere.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links